• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not Anime But Related

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that Korean titles are currently listed on this specific section. Armageddon should also be moved to this section as it's completely Korean-made.

These should be listed in as well:

Wonderful Days (Korean Movie)
Space Gandam V (Korean TV)

BTW, that last one is not a misprint. Space Gandam V was an '80s Korean-made cartoon series using a bootleg VF-1J Valkyrie (Macross) as the main mecha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Case

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Just curious:

How, exactly, do you "bootleg" something out of one animation and into another? o_0
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:41 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Just curious:

How, exactly, do you "bootleg" something out of one animation and into another? o_0

Good question. I have no idea how the producers got away with using a Valkyrie in the show without being sued by Big West.

Here are some links to Space Gandam V. Apparently, it's out on DVD.

http://bestanime.co.kr/CP/dreamwiz/dw_ani_view.php?idx=1605
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002493052/code-c/section-anime/did-4/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:31 am Reply with quote
I wasn't really thinking about the copyright end of it... I was thinking more about the TECHNICAL end: How do you take a moving thing out of one animaton and use it in another?

Did they have their own animators create new footage using the Valkyrie as a model, or did they steal footage of the Valkyrie from Macross and fill out the show with their own animation, or something else?

Even in light of such oddities as Robotech and Voltron, this is a stretch of the imagination for me.
Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:42 pm Reply with quote
It's not exactly imposible, people making AMVs have been doing it for the past few years. For the best example download a video called Tainted Donuts by Eric Kobet (aka E-Ko, aka Manic Expressions), it's a fantastic video of Vash vs. Spike.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Did they have their own animators create new footage using the Valkyrie as a model, or did they steal footage of the Valkyrie from Macross and fill out the show with their own animation, or something else?

Even in light of such oddities as Robotech and Voltron, this is a stretch of the imagination for me.
Confused

Well, the show used all-original animation. Really bad animation, to be more specific. At least it's better than Robotech II: The Sentinels.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:36 pm Reply with quote
G-Saviour should also be listed as "Not Anime But Related," as it's a live-action title.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:50 am Reply with quote
Street Fighter (TV) is NOT anime. It's that crappy US cartoon series that came out after the stupid movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1