• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Astarotte's Toy episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
"Key's mother in Key the Metal Idol"? Isn't Key a robot? (Sorry, I haven't seen Key the Metal Idol yet and have been scrambling to avoid spoilers...) Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by RapidEyeMovement on Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well that review pointed out everything I felt about the series that I wasn't able to put into words.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Moe lolicon crap like majority of crap coming out of Japan in the last few years.

Move on.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Moe lolicon crap like majority of crap coming out of Japan in the last few years.

Move on.

Wow, its obvious you didn't read the review nor have any idea what you're talking about!

Maybe you should have taken your own advice and "moved on" before you made yourself appear as ignorant as you are.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

Move on.

Wow, its obvious you didn't read the review nor have any idea what you're talking about!

Maybe you should have taken your own advice and "moved on" before you made yourself appear as ignorant as you are.

Agreed. Making comments like that which indicate that you clearly haven't read the review is just trolling, Running Wild, and will not be tolerated.

EDIT: Corrected who I was referring to.

Last edited by Key on Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gerthdynn

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

Move on.

Agreed. Making comments like that which indicate that you clearly haven't read the review is just trolling, Nayu Running Wild, and will not be tolerated.

Article wrote:
Don't let the apparent lolicon flavor or first episode deceive you; it is a better and generally more decent series than that.

Hope the author of the article doesn't mind me posting the quote. I think Nayu's point to RW is that while the first episode is kinda bad about the connotations (after posting a comment that is completely against what the article states without refuting the article as if the person had not read the article), it really isn't fair to dismiss the show as that without either watching it further personally or accepting the article's own relatively objective analysis. (Nayu may have been harsh, but not completely unjustified since this is a comment section for the review article of a show and not a general thread about the show itself in which the comment would have been perfectly acceptable without some form of addressing the article. But what do I know... I mostly just lurk and read to see if my views are completely off the mark on shows, rarely even bothering to log in since I don't have to. [/dismount soap box])

I personally felt the same way as the author of the article and was revolted after the first episode. I swore I wouldn't watch it again, but since I've already paid for my CR membership I went ahead and gave it another shot and have been greatly and pleasantly surprised. The show completely downplays the moe/lolicon flavor almost immediately and is overall a very sweet show about the characters and their development and not the potentially sexual nature of the characters of the show.

[edited as I was reading Key and thinking it was someone else since my laptop has a very tiny screen. Sorry to everyone involved.]

[edited again: Thanks for the correction Key.]
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Aside from the background art there seem to be a lot of glossing over background details that I find a little annoying. For example the gate between worlds seems very selective when it doesn't want to open. If only the princess or her mother can open it (and they seemed to be not aware of this fact up through Ep 6) then how did Naoya casually go back to fetch Asura? Or for that matter how did they send those spirit servants to take care of Naoya's apartment? How did Lotte find the place and get installed there? how did Judit know how to pay Naoya in "human money" (i.e. yen)?

It kind of goes on and on that way, but it doesn't matter.

Well in the manga Judit's race is able to travel between world's as well, not just the Succubus. Though they changed that in the anime for some reason.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Though they changed that in the anime for some reason.

Episode 6 seemed to be enough of a reason to me. So little girl could be stuck in there and the situation would seem helpless and they'd have a great cliffhanger left for the next week.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see such a nice review Smile

I admit the visuals are not stunning nor trend setting, but IMO they are simply perfect, I would not change them since they suit the series like a glove, charming yet humble.

No doubt episode 7 ending raised a few eyebrows (or maybe spilled some soda on several LCD screens) but I like this series very much, even if skeletor comes calling names at me :-p
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that Judit herself was able to unlock the tree to open the gate at least once. The only difference between Judit and Lotte was that Judit tried so many different attempts that she was unable to discern which one worked. Even if it was Lotte who opened the gate in Episode 1 and not Judit, there was no explanation of how she was able to get Asuha. Judit said it had "somehow opened", not "it was reopened by Lotte."

But I'm having fun with this show enough not to sweat over the minor details. Just watch it for what it is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Even if it was Lotte who opened the gate in Episode 1 and not Judit, there was no explanation of how she was able to get Asuha. Judit said it had "somehow opened", not "it was reopened by Lotte."

My personal theory (since I have not seen or read it in the original manga) is that Asuha is human yet she can store "mana points" to activate the world tree, if we take into account who her mother is it would make sense.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Um, what does Lotte have to drink? I'm almost afraid to ask...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Um, what does Lotte have to drink? I'm almost afraid to ask...

As of chapter seven it is confirmed she does not have to, there is a better source of "energy" that sadly is lacking in the world ... what are you waiting, go see it already!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it was implied in episode 2 or 3 that kissing is a sufficient transfer of "life seed", and episode 7 has Judit mentioning contact between mucous membranes being required, again suggesting saliva is good enough.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the real answer, Dorcas_Aurelia!

That's still creepy, but much less creepy than what it could have been. Good to know! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6