• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Copy-Cat Catharsis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
please Japanese companies, just keep making shows like K-on, Madoka, IS. i just want to watch some fun when i have nothing to do. no need something like eva that doesn't make any sense to me.
I don't see why both type of shows can't be made at the same time. It's exceptionally selfish and petty to just want your type of entertainment to be made.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
please Japanese companies, just keep making shows like K-on, Madoka, IS. i just want to watch some fun when i have nothing to do. no need something like eva that doesn't make any sense to me.

Famous words of American TV couch potatoes. Laughing

(Y'know that's why a lot of non-fans don't want to try out anime - because a lot of anime don't make any sense to them. Ya gotta admit, many anime make things obtuse and vague.)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't see why both type of shows can't be made at the same time. It's exceptionally selfish and petty to just want your type of entertainment to be made.

because other people don't want them to make those shows, so i want to make those shows. it works both way. if nobody complains, i won't complain.
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Answerman, if I could give you an award made of a lot of gold, cheesecake and all things sweet, I would.

Seriously, I have been around the internet. I admit I was one of those idiots that said that "man, anime was better in 1995!".

But none have shown worse, repulsive and arrogant behavior compared to hidden, self sponsored and not to be visited ever, questionable fansites of burnt out, bitter and just as bad as weeaboo otaku elitist anime fans, buried deep in the crevasses of the internet like long gone dog feces.

They have said stupid, arrogant and utterly racist and completely ignorant filth about how much anime now isn't for their tastes, yet they demand Japan to suck up to their tastes. Considering the fact they were all in English, it's really facepalmingly retarded to not realize that entertainment from another country is purposely made for, well, you know, THE COUNTRY THAT IT ORIGINATED FROM!? And even when they realized it, they still spouted BS about something or whatever about how much it isn't in their tastes, because what, it isn't the crap you grew up with? It isn't a standard found only in where you live? Self entitled snotty dumbard imposing ethnocentric asses.

And those people that whined and complained turned out to be bitter, suburbanite whiteboy douchebag losers, that do nothing but just sit on their butt all day being, what else, losers, and also pumping out crap about how much Final Fantasy isn't up to their standards and other stupid nerd elitist BS I could write a book about, and sounding like those old bitter elderly people that complain with huge and unsafe amounts of nostalgia about how much things were much better back in the day that just need to STFU.

And this is why fan credibility is extremely fickle for me.

I admit, I am a sucker for Tsukasa Kotobuki's art and 1990's and 80's era styles, but again, there are anime that I like that have been released in the previous era- Like FLCL, Gunbuster II, Elfin Lied and Louie the Rune Soldier.

Sadly, I'm also with the anti-Pure CGI crowd too. Not from a feeling of nostalgia, but from a feeling of iffyness from seeing clunkyness and rather unsmooth run animation. That's a topic for another post...
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Waaaait just a minute...

By the way, I know this makes me look like a nasty gossipy teenager but I'm so curious about who the copycat OEL artist is! I can't help it, I'm attracted to ~*~*~omg scandal~*~*~ like a moth to the flame. I want the dirt!
amagee

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Besides straight up culture things, there are a few things I'm looking forward to at these British events that I wouldn't get to usually see elsewhere. When I'm in London, for example, my days will be spent at the Expo while my evenings will be spent down at the Globe Theater or London's West End for plays. You simply cannot get this kind of combination of awesome back where I'm used to doing my conning.

I hope you enjoy yourself. You will find certain products to be slightly more expensive then their North American equivalent whilst browsing the Expo, though if you plan to indulge in the spectacles of the West End then one presumes you're undeterred by higher prices.

I hadn't met anyone who has done both American and UK conventions but I imagined things would be a little pricier as things simply tend to be (doesn't help that Durham can be a pricey place to live - thank the heavens for Newcastle).

I wish I was less deterred by those higher prices Sad I have talked lots with people who've done the whole "affordable theater" thing and I've learned of a bunch of places that'll provide tickets at nice prices though I have to do so the day of at obscene times in the morning rush hour.
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Did Brian Hanson go to film school? That seems to be a trend at ANN...
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of AM2. Might have to check it out one of these days.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
xanithofdragons wrote:
Thank you, Answerman, for reminding everyone that Japanese entertainment is not typically made with us or anyone else outside of Japan in mind.

It annoys me so much whenever I see people saying that anime companies need to think of foreign audiences more. They have no reason to think about Westerners when they make their anime because there is absolutely no way they're going to make the money off of it for it to be worth making. Shows that appeal to Western audiences typically don't do as well in Japan, so it's a lose-lose situation for them because the potential foreign market is smaller than the domestic market to begin with.
The problem is that companies used to make more Western-oriented anime, as with Gonzo's early/mid-00s output. But, Western fans decided to come up with excuses not to buy foreign releases of the shows they professed to like (the existence of English dubs, subtitle colors, localization, etc.), and essentially allowed their anime consumption to be subsidized by Japanese otaku. And then they turn around and wonder why such a large percentage of anime output is aimed at said Japanese otaku, or why production budgets seem so low.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Excellent answer about anime catering to the Japanese, Brian. I agree totally. In addition to recognizing that English speakers are a secondary market (also your use of the word "ancillary" captures it quite well too), there's one thing I never take for granted: And that is the notion that if for some reason creators did put heavy thought into pleasing international fans, it wouldn't quite be anime anymore. In other words I love anime because it's purely Japanese.

It is a collection of mythology, history, culture and traditions that only through the experience of being Japanese, these things are expressed through anime in that unique, one-of-a-kind way. The Japanese honestly think that in order to appeal to a non-Japanese audience and their demands, they would have to omit a lot of those aspects in exchange for what they think might be more universally interpreted. Basically a dumbing-down or de-Japanification of their own artform. Whatever forces external to Japan that may prompt this to happen would be something that would be nothing short of horrifying to me.
Solokey

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
I think what Answerman doesn't realize is that the same arguments about moeblobservice vs. substantial shows also happen with Japanese fans. Yes, we (as in English-speakers) are not their main audience but that doesn't seem to be the point the writer was trying to make.

As for the plagiarism, I'll go investigate. Reminds me of the incident where someone called out a Rising Stars of Manga winner for taking scenes from Blade of the Immortal. I wonder how Tokyopop reacted before they went down.

And while we're on the topic of nostalgia, I too am tired of people who hook themselves to the Inception machine reliving the past while neglecting whatever the future offers. In my case, I have a friend that poopoos on Square for not making games like they use to when he didn't bother playing XIII (I played it, so I'm free to criticize it) only taking the word of people who didn't like it. I'll admit that Square hasn't been on par lately but nostalgia is not a good reason to judge things. Then again, I think he superglued his nostalgia glasses to his eyes because he didn't like me criticizing Resident Evil's limp gameplay.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Japanese, American, I don't care. I go for stuff that targets girls, because that's why I like, and for that I like to consider myself part of the targeted audience.

And yeah, I'm one of those people who think anime was better back when I was a teen. But I accept that I'm probably looking back at it through the glasses of sentimental memories, and that a majority of the crap was held back since it was a smaller market at the time. Also I'll take into consideration the fact that I've "matured" a little.

Still... doesn't make me change my opinion that the majority of stuff that comes out now is any less crap. I say my selection for shoujo orientated anime was a lot better than the stuff I have now to pick from. Over the last 10 years I've had... Nana, Fruits Basket and Ouran Host club as shows I really like in that category. Seems like when I first got into this anime hobby I had a much larger, better selection to chose from. The fact that some anime targeted females was the main reason I got into anime.

So because of this I have no problem with not buying a single anime and just continuing to spend all my money on comics. I'm not really concerned with anime anymore or the condition of the industry.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. I've been working on a list of anime made after 2000
that I've really liked, feel are more or less "high-quality" and would recommend to both fans and non-fans and so far I've racked up about 32 titles and it's still growing as I watch more stuff and more stuff comes out.

I think that's a pretty decent number, but I guess others may disagree.
mayo160

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
One of the things I've noticed of late, generally from older or more intellectual fans, is this idea that there was this golden age where anime was great, and now it sucks. I've seen dates like '95, '03 and '06 all proposed as tipping points of anime. A lot times people forget about all the bad in the past and remember the good, so it can be a lot easier to say that '95 was great, even though it too had it fair share of bad shows.

that is always there.... and it happens at when you're at a certain age too, that's why there'll never be anything better than *insert title/music/show*.... and you'll keep on wondering what on earth could your kid brother possibly see in *insert (newer) title/music/show*

with that being said, originality always pays like brian says; that's why you can still listen to black sabbath and led zeppelin and all the 70s stuff even now, even though their sound quality sucks
mayo160

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Maximym Meyham!! wrote:

Sadly, I'm also with the anti-Pure CGI crowd too. Not from a feeling of nostalgia, but from a feeling of iffyness from seeing clunkyness and rather unsmooth run animation. That's a topic for another post...

you seen the tintin trailer? scary
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5