• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Employee Sues Japanese Manga Publisher for 3.3 Million Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
It still amazes me how little-league-ish this case seems in terms of the amount compared to what it would be if this case happened in the U.S. Especially when the claim involves medical and trauma compensation. Had this happened to a person in the U.S. you could probably take that 3.3 Million number and just slap a dollar sign in front of it. $33 grand would be just enough to cover legal fees and court costs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
It still amazes me how little-league-ish this case seems in terms of the amount compared to what it would be if this case happened in the U.S. Especially when the claim involves medical and trauma compensation. Had this happened to a person in the U.S. you could probably take that 3.3 Million number and just slap a dollar sign in front of it. $33 grand would be just enough to cover legal fees and court costs.
Well yes, but it's probably the case the the entire company probably isn't even worth half of the yen equivalant of $3.3Million so 3.3Million Yen will still have a sting to it for that publisher, and rightly so. To be outed as using underhanded tactics toward their customers will have punched a hole of no trust below the waterline for them and it will be a matter of time to see if it causes this publisher to eventually sink.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
If you're terminated any place you apply to in the future that does their homework is going to find out about it as your prior employer will likely disclose that.

I've heard (but can't confirm) that legally a company cannot disclose reasons a person no longer works at their company, be it termination or leaving. They can only confirm that you actually worked there for X amount of time.

Emerje wrote:
The loophole there is that they can be asked if they would ever hire that person back or not and the former employer can give a yes or no answer to that.

I can confirm that yes, for Washington State, at least, that yes, this is the case. And no, Emerje, they can't give that information. They legally cannot say anything further than confirming dates that you were employed. They can't say how you did at the job, they can't say why/how you left, they can't say if they'd hire you back or not.

Of course, that also assumes that places follow the law.

No one can prove what is said in a telephone call between two different employers, at least after the fact.

In a down turned economy, with so many people applying for just a single position, it is quite easy for a company to get away with not hiring you because of illegal reasons. There is simply no way of proving otherwise, unless the company was extremely stupid, which happens.

It is better to have a unhappy job and get money for it, than be unhappy at home with no job and no cash. As an employed person, you always have the time to find another job, and your current employer may even help you in that matter.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Duplicate.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
No one can prove what is said in a telephone call between two different employers, at least after the fact.

Unless the NSA says otherwise...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is better to have a unhappy job and get money for it, than be unhappy at home with no job and no cash. As an employed person, you always have the time to find another job, and your current employer may even help you in that matter.
Erm, you do understand that she won her case, yes? I think that she at least can take a month's holiday to get over her truama of being fired with that kind of money, unless she was in deep debt to that amount , or more. However she might have to think about a different career move to get round being potentially black listed from any other publishing company. So maybe she could use the money to re-train
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Erm, you do understand that she won her case, yes? I think that she at least can take a month's holiday to get over her truama of being fired with that kind of money, unless she was in deep debt to that amount , or more. However she might have to think about a different career move to get round being potentially black listed from any other publishing company. So maybe she could use the money to re-train

That is not what I was talking about. It is in regards to her requesting her job back and why. Not easy to get a job, when you got college graduates working in fast food joints.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

That is not what I was talking about. It is in regards to her requesting her job back and why. Not easy to get a job, when you got college graduates working in fast food joints.
The graduate physicist asks, "Why does that work?". The graduate engineer asks "how does that work and can I improve it?" The graduate artist asks "do you want fries with that?" In short it all depends on what one graduates as. Wink I'll agree that she is foolish to want that job back. She should take a bit of time off and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2