• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Beck

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
One thing to keep in mind is that it's always possible to have multiple audio tracks on a DVD. They could do both the hybrid dub with Japanese songs and the all-English one.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
as long as they don't have that guy who always dubs over the songs on FUNi dubs I'll be all right. I expect lots of Beat Crusaders extras.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Gawyn wrote:
I think my only problem with dubbing the songs in this instance would be that it could be seen as a bit disrepespectful of some great Japanese rock bands.

That's exactly what I was trying to say also. But, I extend it to all artists and all languages. Take for example "Girls On Film". Gonzo was negotiating with Duran, Duran for this song. Now, they could have probably found a band to cover it in Japanese if they had wanted to. But they placed value on and respected the band and the song to air it as the opening for Speed Grapher on Japanese TV in English.

Actually, it has nothing to do with respect. Just having a band cover it wouldn't have been good enough. They still would have had to pay royalties.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
the wise move would be to just leave it subtltled, and re-dub over the engrish sections.
emory

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
So Taliesin Jaffe is the director? Does this mean New Generation Pictures is dubbing it?
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
So Taliesin Jaffe is the director? Does this mean New Generation Pictures is dubbing it?

No, Taliesin is in Ft. Worth now.
emory

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
emory wrote:

Well that's an interesting development.
patch

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the wise move would be to just leave it subtltled, and re-dub over the engrish sections.

That's such a great idea dude! (of course should not touch the songs, only dialogue).

Hopefully the US Director from Funimation has the same one, or at least reads this thread Cool
Kiriska

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I never did understand FUNi's need to dub over songs, especially when shows like Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi exist. Like someone already said, most of BECK's music is in Eng(l/r)ish anyway. Besides, the BEAT CRUSADERS have already done music for wholly US-productions, such as Nicktoons's Kappa Mikey, so I don't get it.
bebop26

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten to watch some of FUNimation's other shows (Spiral, Burst Angel, Kodocha etc.) but they left in the Fullmetal Alchemist Japanese opening themes and ending themes. Ready Steady Go (Season 2 opening) and Rewrite (Season 4 opening) and all the ending themes were in Japanese, so I wouldn't say they would re-dub the opening "HIT IN THE U.S.A." or "My World Down" (1st ending theme) or "Moon on the Water (2nd ending theme), since they are all in English.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
emory wrote:

Well that's an interesting development.

Well, that doesn't mean there's no chance he won't move back to California after Beck is finished...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2