• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation December '13 / January '14 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
MSRP reductions that are currently active @ TRSI.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, guess Princess Jellyfish was a poor seller. It's a great series though, and at that price, it's hard not to recommend it.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
it is a very good show but I think overall shoujo doesnt sell well
most girls I know like to watch similar titles but they dont feel the need to purchase or rewatch them

I myself do not own it yet simply because there are so many other things still on my 'to buy' list that take priority
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Ouch, PJ is going for $26.24 and if you have the GotAnime! membership discount its $23.62 for the LE. That's a bargain and its probably safe to assume that it didn't sell well which is sad since it is a pretty good show. I hope the price drop encourages people to pick it up.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Wow. That's a bargain for such a good show. I bought Princess Jellyfish the minute that it came out and I highly recommend it to anyone.
rydia251

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Crap, bought PJ for $40+ two years ago, guess I should actually watch it now. So much for Funimation taking any future risks on shoujo (josei?). Was hoping this would be a success for them. Although I did hear it was good, I blind-bought it almost purely for shoujo (josei?) industry support.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
They have Kamisama Kiss coming out, and in a pretty sweet LE set too. Granted, that's not josei, but it is shoujo, so they're not just going with boobs and explosions.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It may just be coincidence, but Princess Jellyfish was also uploaded to Netflix last week, so that may or may not have something to do with the clearance move.

*shrugs*
rydia251

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
They have Kamisama Kiss coming out, and in a pretty sweet LE set too. Granted, that's not josei, but it is shoujo, so they're not just going with boobs and explosions.

Thanks for the reminder on Kamisama. Naturally I keep associating that one with Sentai. I suppose there is some hope, and I do hope it does well for them.

Been keeping a suspicious eye on it, but waiting until I either sample a couple episodes or a fangirl makes a loud enough squee that I close my eyes and just buy it.

I absolutely love some shoujo, but some, well... A cherry-flavored rimjob from Zero (or Yuuki) isn't enough to get me to sit through Vampire Knight again. Not an insult to those who like it of course.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
^Kamisama Kiss is nowhere near as offensive as Vampire Knight. I'm not the biggest shoujo fan - I don't go looking to watch every one just because it's shoujo - but as a female anime fan, I often feel inclined to give them a look and stand up for them. And of the three shoujo that showed in Fall '12, Kamisama Kiss was my favorite.

Was it necessarily the best of the three? Eh...

My Little Monster had the most intriguing and uncommon characters: the main female lead, Shizuku, is like a mixture of Maka (Soul Eater) and Hermione (Harry Potter), yet even more emotionally dry and cold; and the main male lead, Haru, is very whiny, childish, and a bit psychopathic at times. It's basically watching two unlikeable people (even though I did like Shizuku) try to form some sort of normal relationship. It's really intriguing to watch. At the same time, though, the main leads can be quite unlikeable, and that may be hard for the viewer to watch. Honestly, I wasn't all that invested in Shizuku and Haru's relationship, and so the romance didn't really do anything for me. spoiler[I'd rather Shizuku end up with Kenji.] The series was entertaining, but I wasn't in love with it. I mainly watched it for the side characters and Shizuku. I rated this series above Say, I Love You but below Kamisama Kiss.

Say, I Love You got worse as it went on. I really liked how bullying was handled in the series and how sex was an actual thing that characters talked about and that people in relationships did (instead of completely avoiding the topic or painting it in an idealistic light) - I thought that those aspects were the best part of the series. Otherwise, I disliked the main couple (Mei and Yamato) because I really disliked Yamato, and so watching their relationship evolve (the main focus of the show) wasn't fun. The side characters and their relationships were a lot more interesting.

And then there's Kamisama Kiss. The characters and situations are a lot more standard and cliche for shoujo. Nanami is very much the Good Girl Female Lead Who Enchants All The Guys Around Her Even Though She's Not Really All That Special And Has A Heart Of Gold(TM). And Tomoe is the Guy Who Always Seems To Be Mr. Perfect At Everything He Does But Is A Bit Of A Cold Jerk To The Main Female Lead But Still Falls For Her(TM). The other two series are more unique for shoujo by having genuinely unlikeable main leads and/or have relationships/drama that are more realistic. And while I definitely appreciate them and wouldn't mind seeing more like them that doesn't necessarily mean I enjoyed them more. Sometimes I just want a series like Kamisama Kiss, which I thought was well done and heartwarming. I liked Tomoe and Nanami way more as the main couple and was more of a fangirl of the relationship aspect. I really liked the shinto aspect with Nanami being a land god and enjoyed watching her grow into the role over the course of the series. And the last episode of Kamisama Kiss was much better than the last episodes of the other two series. The series had its ups and downs (some of the mid episodes were boring) but, overall, I enjoyed Kamisama Kiss the most.

So, it's kinda all about what you want from the series. KK is not for everyone, and many who did watch all three shoujo from that season commented on how they disliked how generic it was (when compared to the other two). But I genuinely liked the series and pre-ordered the Goddess Edition as soon as it became available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rydia251

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
willag - well you may have sold me on the first title merely by mentioning Maka and Hermione. Watching Soul Eater for the first time as we speak. Maka is awesome. Seriously though, thanks for the recs.

If I ever watch or buy Rose of Versailles, it will be due to your epic squee in the original announcement thread. I still remember it, was suffering through a conference call at work and you made me chuckle out loud, then panic briefly as I checked my phone to make sure I was on mute. Ahh memories.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
willag - well you may have sold me on the first title merely by mentioning Maka and Hermione. Watching Soul Eater for the first time as we speak. Maka is awesome. Seriously though, thanks for the recs.

Yes, Maka and Hermione are awesome. My favorite characters of their respective series. Someone else made that comparison before I watched it, which is what drew me to the series. Shizuku is quite awesome. I'm saddened to say that My Little Monster hasn't been licensed for DVD/BD release though. The other two shoujo were (Say, I Love You by Sentai).

And I'm not giving Nanami from Kamisama Kiss enough credit. The girl has quite a bit of moxie and doesn't let Tomoe shove her around. She's equal parts sweet/funny with a bit of an attitude. She's not a shy wallflower. In fact, mid-way through the series she ends up confronting and confessing her feelings to Tomoe. I like seeing such upfront behavior instead of wallowing through the "will they, won't they" stages. All the same, the characters in KK are more idealistic and the show is more cliche for the genre. It's one of the more well-done ones of that type IMHO. If anything, I'd recommend streaming a few episodes from Funi/Hulu if it ever tickles your fancy rather than blind-buying the series.

rydia251 wrote:
If I ever watch or buy Rose of Versailles, it will be due to your epic squee in the original announcement thread. I still remember it, was suffering through a conference call at work and you made me chuckle out loud, then panic briefly as I checked my phone to make sure I was on mute. Ahh memories.

Haha, I'm glad I left I strong impression. RoV is, hands down, one of the best shoujo ever. Oscar ranks up there with Maka, Balsa (Moribito), Shuurei (Saiunkoku Monogatari), and Youko (The 12 Kingdoms) for favorite lead female characters. If you like strong, proactive females, then Oscar will probably be your cup of tea as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see that Princess Jellyfish didn't sell very well. I preordered it whenever Funimation first released it a few years ago. However, with a price like that, it could serve as a nice gift for a few of my friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5