Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks up Full Metal Panic TSR


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
icepick314



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 486
Location: Back in the Good Ol' US of A
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
Yay....all of Full Metal Panic is coming to US...

although I would miss Luci Christian as Chidori...she was just awesome....Christ Patton also did great job as Sousuke in the first 2 series...

hope Funimation uses same voice from first 2 series....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jabberwock



Joined: 19 Jul 2004
Posts: 92
Location: Currently attending the University of Florida
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
Yay....all of Full Metal Panic is coming to US...

although I would miss Luci Christian as Chidori...she was just awesome....Christ Patton also did great job as Sousuke in the first 2 series...

hope Funimation uses same voice from first 2 series....


Couldn't agree more, anyone know if they are going to use the same va's as the first 2?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 211
Location: Texas City TX
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well, this is GREAT news!

If any other company besides ADV was going to get this, Funimation would be my choice. For those who don't know, Funi and ADV are both in Texas & in past projects, VA's from both companys have worked for each other.

For example: Luci Christian & Monica Rial are both mainly ADV va's, but both are in Fullmetal Alchemist. Same with Vic M.

Basically, there's no reason why The 2nd Raid can't have the full cast from the first two unless someone doesn't want to make the 3-4 hour drive to Fort Worth.

Yes yes yes! Come on Oct 3rd!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
rankothefiremage



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 477
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
While i love the fact that i can now buy FMPTSR, i'm bothered that ADV didn't get the license, it just strikes me as odd that such happened when ADV already had the first two animes and two of the spin off manga lines. Part of me really wants to know how Funi beat ADV to the punch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Silver-Scorcher



Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Posts: 4
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Seems Funimation is getting all the good stuff these days. I guess they simply shelled out more money in the end to get the license. Similar things have happened before with Geneon getting the second Saiyuki even though ADV distributed the first one.

While Luci, Chris and Vic are pretty much shoe-ins to be in TSR, Hilary Haag who played Tessa in the first two is a big question mark for this one since she's never done work for Funimation. Same goes for Allison Keith/Shipp who played Mao. I think ADV and Funimation formed a strategic alliance of sorts in the past so maybe there's a slim chance Funi could get ADV to dub it. In the end, as long as the critical characters have the same actors playing them, it's really all you could ask for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beruda



Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Posts: 114
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit to being somewhat disapointed although I had a feeling this would happen since there was no word from ADV and the series has been out for awhie. I'm sure it came down to money, Funimation has deeper pockets.

I think the entire cast for this series was great so if they don't return I'll miss them but I am excited about seeing more FMP. We'll just have to wait and see in October.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
biliano



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 956
Location: Cleveland, OH
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
Yay....all of Full Metal Panic is coming to US...

although I would miss Luci Christian as Chidori...she was just awesome....Christ Patton also did great job as Sousuke in the first 2 series...

hope Funimation uses same voice from first 2 series....


Couldn't agree more, anyone know if they are going to use the same va's as the first 2?


According to whta I read in this Anime on DVD thread (which has since been locked due to length), it was reported that FUNi will retain the majority of the regular cast from the first two series to reprise their roles on Second Raid. Considering that Chris Patton, Luci Christian, Monica Rial, Vic Mignogna, and Greg Ayers worked on FUNi titles before, there was no real issue that FUNi would use them for Second Raid. The biggest problem that I see in terms of the dub casting is that I seriously doubt that Hilary Haag will be able or willing to make the 5-hour trek to Fort Worth to reprise her role as Tessa, considering that voice-over work is her secondary career (check her credit page). Also, I hope that FUNi can convince Allison Shipp/Keith to fly into Fort Worh (she's cutrrently living in L.A. I believe) to reprise her role as Melissa Mao, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Even though FUNi has an excellent talent pool, Tessa and Mao are far too important roles in Second Raid to have "replacement" voice actors (and if the case in true and Hilary can't reprise her role, I would like to have Carrie Savage play Tessa since her voice tone is similar to Hilary's).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raven Shinobi



Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 664
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! All the fan-subs that I managed to find of TSR were of poor quality, so I was praying that this part of the series would be released real soon.

I stuck to to the JP version while watching the first two seasons, since I prefer Satsuki Yukino as Kaname and Yukana as Tessa, but I admit that Sousuke in the English Version sounded a bit better than his JP counterpart, so I'm glad that it's more likely that Chris Patton will return to play the role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Serge



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Jabberwock wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
Yay....all of Full Metal Panic is coming to US...

although I would miss Luci Christian as Chidori...she was just awesome....Christ Patton also did great job as Sousuke in the first 2 series...

hope Funimation uses same voice from first 2 series....


Couldn't agree more, anyone know if they are going to use the same va's as the first 2?


According to whta I read in this Anime on DVD thread (which has since been locked due to length), it was reported that FUNi will retain the majority of the regular cast from the first two series to reprise their roles on Second Raid. Considering that Chris Patton, Luci Christian, Monica Rial, Vic Mignogna, and Greg Ayers worked on FUNi titles before, there was no real issue that FUNi would use them for Second Raid. The biggest problem that I see in terms of the dub casting is that I seriously doubt that Hilary Haag will be able or willing to make the 5-hour trek to Fort Worth to reprise her role as Tessa, considering that voice-over work is her secondary career (check her credit page). Also, I hope that FUNi can convince Allison Shipp/Keith to fly into Fort Worh (she's cutrrently living in L.A. I believe) to reprise her role as Melissa Mao, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Even though FUNi has an excellent talent pool, Tessa and Mao are far too important roles in Second Raid to have "replacement" voice actors (and if the case in true and Hilary can't reprise her role, I would like to have Carrie Savage play Tessa since her voice tone is similar to Hilary's).


MAJORLY Disapointted that FUNimation got TSR, I was looking forward to ADV Licensing it soon.

I'm a MASSIVE Sub fan (99% of my anime I watched subbed), but FMP I've been watching Dubbed because I think the dub is great, it would be cool if the old English VA's return, but knowing FUNimation's Dub, it's going to be Totally inaccurate therefore I will have to watch TSR Subbed, Unfortunately. A Shame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tidusora



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, I just hope the original VA's are coming back. The only thing is if Tessa's voice actor won't dub it, then, I'd suggest umm... Lisa Ortiz, voiceover of Serenity Wheeler from Yu-Gi-Oh! For Melissa Mao, I'd suggest....actually, I pretty much don't know who can replace Allison Keith, since she has such a unique voice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
MAJORLY Disapointted that FUNimation got TSR, I was looking forward to ADV Licensing it soon.

I'm a MASSIVE Sub fan (99% of my anime I watched subbed), but FMP I've been watching Dubbed because I think the dub is great, it would be cool if the old English VA's return, but knowing FUNimation's Dub, it's going to be Totally inaccurate therefore I will have to watch TSR Subbed, Unfortunately. A Shame.


Well, Funi does great subtitles. Laughing

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. They know they have expectations to live up to.

And regarding VAs, I this Tesse's is the only big question mark and I was always neutral on her performance.


Last edited by Royal Devil on Mon May 29, 2006 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HitokiriShadow



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 6251
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
The biggest problem that I see in terms of the dub casting is that I seriously doubt that Hilary Haag will be able or willing to make the 5-hour trek to Fort Worth to reprise her role as Tessa, considering that voice-over work is her secondary career (check her credit page).


Aw, man. She did an awesome job as Tessa in the first two series.

Since FUNI went to the trouble of trying to reassemble the Tenchi cast for the 3rd OVA, I think they'll do their best to get as much as possible of the original FMP cast and I'm sure it will be a fine dub.

Serge wrote:
MAJORLY Disapointted that FUNimation got TSR, I was looking forward to ADV Licensing it soon.

I'm a MASSIVE Sub fan (99% of my anime I watched subbed), but FMP I've been watching Dubbed because I think the dub is great, it would be cool if the old English VA's return, but knowing FUNimation's Dub, it's going to be Totally inaccurate therefore I will have to watch TSR Subbed, Unfortunately. A Shame.


Sounds like someone is stuck back in 2000. FUNI has done just fine on numerous dubs in the past few years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 6393
Location: Kazune City
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Serge wrote:
MAJORLY Disapointted that FUNimation got TSR, I was looking forward to ADV Licensing it soon. I'm a MASSIVE Sub fan (99% of my anime I watched subbed), but FMP I've been watching Dubbed because I think the dub is great, it would be cool if the old English VA's return, but knowing FUNimation's Dub, it's going to be Totally inaccurate therefore I will have to watch TSR Subbed, Unfortunately. A Shame.
Sounds like someone is stuck back in 2000. FUNI has done just fine on numerous dubs in the past few years.
Wow, the patten holds true once again...every time Funi announces a new license, someone just has to chime in and say "OMG Funimation's totally going to ruin this title with tons of editing and a bad dub" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wake up people, IT'S NOT THE DBZ ERA AT FUNIMATION ANYMORE. Go watch some FMA, Fruits Basket, or Gunslinger Girl if you need proof.
Anyway, about FMP! TSR itself...I knew the license was coming, I knew it was coming this summer, but I was hoping for ADV as well Crying or Very sad Not that Funi is a bad company, and I won't hesitate to give them my money for TSR...I just wanted a complete, uniform set of FMP! DVDs all from ADV. It seems like Funimation does have the deep pockets these days...they can apparently afford to take the risk now known as Rumbling Hearts, they're picking up other big titles left and right, and they're even taking over distribution from other companies, like the Slayers TV series and those TokyoPop titles like Initial D, Marmalade Boy, and GTO. Just what is the secret of their success, especially given the poor reputation that they unfairly have?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
starcade



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 204
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Surprised ADV gave this one up -- it really appeared like this was an ADV staple (FMP), and they tossed it to Funimation.

Score one for Navarre...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kuraiyoake



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Wow, the patten holds true once again...every time Funi announces a new license, someone just has to chime in and say "OMG Funimation's totally going to ruin this title with tons of editing and a bad dub" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wake up people, IT'S NOT THE DBZ ERA AT FUNIMATION ANYMORE. Go watch some FMA, Fruits Basket, or Gunslinger Girl if you need proof.


I'm worried, too. I also watch the original Japanese versions with subtitles. I feel that if it was originally produced in one language, that's the way it should be experienced. If you want to argue that subtitles don't really cut it for that, then I should mention that I'm taking Japanese for just that reason. That said, until I become proficient enough with Japanese, I rely on subtitles. You say that FUNimation has been doing well in the past few years, and I counter: did you actually watch the subbed version of Tenchi Muyo! GXP? It was horrible. FUNimation used the English dub as the basis for the subtitle script. On top of that, they put lines in when no one was speaking and left out subtitles in some cases where people were talking. You say that the Dragonball Z era of FUNimation is over, but the first GXP DVD was released two years after the first Fruits Basket and the last GXP DVD was released a month before the last Fruits Basket. Their era of bad subtitles isn't over yet, and that has me worried.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group