• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks up Full Metal Panic TSR

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crucifix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Crucifix wrote:
Even though I was hoping ADV would pick it up I hope Funi gives us the following:

1. Animated menu.
2. All the original dub cast.
3. Better dub/translation scripts.
4. Subtitles based on the japanese timing/dub.
5. 5.1 audio tracks.

I guess Funimation has high expectations to satisfy.
Cool

Yeah because it's not like they haven't already been doing that for just about every series to come out thus far.

Dear god...

Oh my, I certainly didn't expect to meet such rudeness and sarcasm in this forum. I guess I was cooped up in my own universe where hoping isn't a crime yet.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
Someone picking up another season of a successful show???! Shocking!

Personally, I wish some companies would release dub-only, and sub-only dvds, so I would pay less for my prefered medium, subbed.

Let's not get back to the VHS era, shall we? Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
Crucifix wrote:

Oh my, I certainly didn't expect to meet such rudeness and sarcasm in this forum. I guess I was cooped up in my own universe where hoping isn't a crime yet.

Yes, but you see, having 'high expectations' doesn't equate to the exact same standards FUNimation have been giving all of their other popular properties.
Crucifix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote
I get your point, there will always be expectations no matter how high they are or how impossible they are. For a company to be competitive, they should take those expectations into considerations and try their best to get close to it as possible. Threads like these are a good source of information for companies who want to know what the fans want.

I listed some of the things I am "hoping" they would do with TSR, but if they do not meet my "high" expectations, then what can I do right? I'm just one consumer. That aside, I still don't get the hostility you showed, your expectations may have been satisfied, Funimation may be spot on how you want your DVD's but if a person doesn't share your beliefs you don't have to be rude to them.

P.S. This is but one post on a myriad of anime topics, it may represent one opinion but not the whole. Guess I should stop posting.
smoochy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="darkchibi07"][quote="smoochy"]Someone picking up another season of a successful show???! Shocking!

Personally, I wish some companies would release dub-only, and sub-only dvds, so I would pay less for my prefered medium, subbed.[/quote]

Let's not get back to the VHS era, shall we? Rolling Eyes[/quote]

If they did something right, why not?
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
smoochy wrote:

Personally, I wish some companies would release dub-only, and sub-only dvds, so I would pay less for my prefered medium, subbed.

Let's not get back to the VHS era, shall we? Rolling Eyes

Subbed VHS was more expensive than dubbed by at least a couple dollars if not more per tape. Believe me, I was always crushed when I'd find a VHS for say only $25, and then would realize it was dubbed while the subbed counterpart was $29. Moreover, I don't think they released the subbed VHS any faster, they put them out at the same time, possibly even the subbed later (but my memory is kind of fuzzy, I wasn't buying/watching much anime back then due to not being allowed an after school job.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:

Because there's no gaurantee it'd work? Because people use both language tracks on DVDs? Because there's already enough market saturation as it is?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
smoochy wrote:

Because there's no gaurantee it'd work? Because people use both language tracks on DVDs? Because there's already enough market saturation as it is?

Because people who actually want both versions (believe it or not, they do exist!) would feel ripped off if they had to buy 2 discs just to get both audio tracks? Because it would encourage more people to illegally download anime once the rippers get their hands on both both discs and mux them together into dual-audio .mkvs? The VHS era wasn't doing things "right," it was doing things as well as possible given the technical limits of VHS tapes. I liked FMP in English in both of the previous seasons, and with all of the main cast (all of it that can, anyway) returning, I have no reason to doubt that TSR will be just as good.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
kuraiyoake wrote:
did you actually watch the subbed version of Tenchi Muyo! GXP? It was horrible. FUNimation used the English dub as the basis for the subtitle script. On top of that, they put lines in when no one was speaking and left out subtitles in some cases where people were talking. You say that the Dragonball Z era of FUNimation is over, but the first GXP DVD was released two years after the first Fruits Basket and the last GXP DVD was released a month before the last Fruits Basket. Their era of bad subtitles isn't over yet, and that has me worried.

As has been mentioned, you were looking at the wrong subtitle track. I don't have the GXP discs, but with every FUNi disc I have they work this way: Select English audio from the DVD menu then select subtitles on, you get dubtitles; select Japanese audio then select subtitles on and you get direct subtitles. What I imagine you are doing wrong is ignoring the audio options menu, pressing play from the main menu then switching audio tracks using the remote. You either need to choose the correct option from the on-disc menu or remewmber to switch subtitles tracks using your remote when you switch audio tracks. Personally the only problem I have with this scheme is that I like listening to the English dub with the direct subtitles which has to be selected manually as there is no option for this on the dvd menu itself.

RJ wrote:
I wonder if we were watching the same Fruits Basket because its dubbing was so horrible it cracked my windows. Hands down the worst dub I've ever heard.
The secret of their success? Tokyopop shares the same secret since they inturn mutilated the Fruits basket Manga. I think both companies have been very fortunate to pick up titles made popular by fansubs and scanlations and many poor Japanese illiterate fans have no alternative but to buy them.

Since the fans who already have the fansubs/scans are less likely to purchase the legal version that those who don't, especially if like you they consider the illegal version superior, you argument makes no sense.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
you have shows such as Kamichu, Air, Green Green and whatever else that are only ever bought by a hardcore market that saw these shows on fansubs to begin with. Removing the dubs from these sorts of titles wouldn't harm or damage sales greatly

Could you quote the source of your figures please?

Steventheeunuch wrote:
there are series that do push ****-weak ammounts of numbers despite having resounding success/appeal in Japan or wherever else.

The subtitle-only cardcaptor sakura DVDs are one example that comes to mind, odd since according to you they should be cheaper and sell better than hybrids would.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gwen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
No requesting downloads

-Keonyn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4