• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Comic Party Revolution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, I guess this is another installment of the disappointing "I wanted the same company to license the sequel" series of events, as I wanted to see this from Rightstuf Crying or Very sad But, maybe this will be a chance for ADV to resurrect the AD-Vid Notes, and ADV has a decent track record with reference-heavy anime.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Yes! I absolutely loved Comic Party & have been (im)patiently waiting for Revolution to be picked up.

Hmmm, no release date yet? Unfortunately that could mean we have to wait a year or more before seeing the first DVD. Hopefully not though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
Well, on another note it's good to see some life from ADV, I was beginning to think I should fly down there and poke them with a stick for awhile and see if they were even still breathing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:41 am Reply with quote
Another niche title from ADV.

I hope we get some more old school 80's stuff from their other licenses, lol.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
Awesome, the sequal to a series that only 500* people bought. ADV sure are getting the top-tier, I tell you!

*Not literally 500, but I doubt TRSI exactly made a mint (or even anime-relative mint) from Comic Party.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Awesome, the sequal to a series that only 500* people bought. ADV sure are getting the top-tier, I tell you!

*Not literally 500, but I doubt TRSI exactly made a mint (or even anime-relative mint) from Comic Party.

well, there must be some fans since there are 9 volumes of manga, 4 dvds, and many figures based on the show's characters. I doubt they would put out all that, plus the new series, if they weren't making money off of it.
MJP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:

well, there must be some fans since there are 9 volumes of manga, 4 dvds, and many figures based on the show's characters. I doubt they would put out all that, plus the new series, if they weren't making money off of it.

9 volumes domestically? Did I miss one? o_O I know if the five from TP and the three dojinshi anthologies from CPM.

I think I'd buy Revolution only if it had the original voice cast from the RSI release. Honestly, I would love to support one of my favorite titles, but I'd rather just delete my fansubs and not buy it unless the same folks are voicing it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I know the ADV crew seemed so perturbed on the Saiyuki movie commentary over losing that title & so many of the fans have screamed abouit Bang Zoom taking over because ADV did it first. (Bang Zoom actually is a doing closer match to the original Japanese voices.) Obviously it's a different matter for them to take over someone else's title.
They have to get Liam O'Brien for Taishi. Of course, maybe he's too busy doing Gaara & the other stuff now. Taishi rocks.The others were pretty standard-type characters ADV should have no problem casting.

500 people bought Comic Party? There must be some life for ADV to pick this one up or one would assume they'd have left it for TRSI.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
CCS:
Quote:
There must be some life for ADV to pick this one up or one would assume they'd have left it for TRSI.

ADV's not really in their "good business decisions" phase right now. See NewType and the $50 million they put down for the Evangelion movie.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:

Figures are generally Japanese-made and made for Japanese Markets, so when we're talking about a series state side, the Japanese counterpart doesn't always count.

ADV just aren't privy to making good desicions. They're not even into making tasteful ones, or smart ones, or even usually financially beneficial ones (Various failed lines, eva movie, Newtype, and while Lady Death sold really well, it was a pretty awful movie by any standards).
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ADV's not really in their "good business decisions" phase right now. See NewType and the $50 million they put down for the Evangelion movie.

What's wrong with Newtype? I think it's a fine magazine, thank you very much. Smile
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
GATSU wrote:

What's wrong with Newtype? I think it's a fine magazine, thank you very much. Smile

It's ok. The thing that is beginning to bother me is that there is so much manga out there coming out every month, and a lot of anime too, but instead of reviewing them, they put in all these useless videogame reviews, and too much of tokyopop's OEL "manga". That magazine would be so much better served if it focused on MORE anime and manga.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
biliano:
Quote:
What's wrong with Newtype? I think it's a fine magazine, thank you very much.

I have no problems with the quality of the magazine. I just don't think it was a good investment on their part. It's too expensive to have a large market share, and it has more ads than content. It's not as bad as EGM in that regard, but still...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn that ADV had the original Comic Party. Maybe that's because I first saw it on Anime Network.

Oh well. At least it will have a decent release schedule.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
CCS:
Quote:
There must be some life for ADV to pick this one up or one would assume they'd have left it for TRSI.

Geneon & Viz (now) are basically American fronts of Japanese companies-probably Bandai also, don't think much about them.
CPM is (was?) a mom & pop-type shop. I love MediaBlasters, but they feel like swap meet guys/people selling stuff out of the back of a van on the side of the road-they don't necessarily feel like anime fans as much as in it to make a profit, but they'll throw in some extras to close the deal. Funi had all their eggs in the DB/Z basket for awhile & I worried about them, but they got bought up, or expanded or whatever & found a direction after their cash cow has pretty much played out.
ADV is fanboys. Plain, simple fanboys. (I say boys since they have a pretty strong aversion to yaoi. They flirted with Saiyuki, but dropped Tactics & changed the gender in Kimera) At one time they said they license things that they like which is why it's hard for some to pin them down, but they like action. comedy & jiggle. Theirs tastes pretty much run to what turns them on. Anime version of Trekkies. They have some money. They are Eva fans, so of course they dream (drool) of a live-action Eva movie to spread the gospel of Eva to the masses of America. Right now they really seem to lack much understanding of the female market, pursuing all these magical girl shows like Sister Princess, Princess Yucie, etc. They hit lucky with stuff like Saiyuki & GetBackers, but those are shonen with yaoi undertones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2