• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill La Kill Anime's 3-Minute Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Trigger is being viewed as "meh" by Japanese fanbases overall (nobody cared about that Inferno Cop show over there and LWA got a mediocre reception) really shows that this is an anime that America cares about more than Japan. I'm not expecting it'll be a total bomb or anything, it should have some popularity, but it certainly isn't the "Biggest hyped series of the season" or anything. Especially when its competing with major franchises like Kuroko, Magi, Infinite Stratos and Little Busters all having new seasons at the same time.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
totoum wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
YET, I kinda of agree RyanSaotome, this series has characters that seem out of place here, specially those lolis hinting moe. Some characters designs indeed seem kind of off and personalities too, kind of too cheerful, too colorful from some.

I swear if Ergo Proxy came out today someone would look at the Pino character and accuse manglobe of "pandering to moe lovers" Laughing

Laughing Could be. If totoro came out today, I would never accuse Ghibli of using Satsuki to pander to moe lovers, or Sakura from SCC being a character created and tailored for that sole purpose.

Not really, this pink haired girl, ==what little can be seen at this point==, her actions, way of talking, chara design, personality, make it look like its indeed trying to pander to that crowd, put her in one of those hardcore otaku pandering anime and would be a perfect fit.

Yet, it bothers me not (that much), I am fine with some moe. (I am quite loving Railgun mind you)

danilo07 wrote:
Uuh there were a lot of stills shown in that trailer which makes me scared a bit.However this still looks awesome and the writing will definitely be good.
Quote:
What huge hype?

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-04/biglobe-poll/most-anticipated-fall-2013-anime

I mean sure, its got some hype, but lets not kid ourselves about it being another SAO or AoT in terms of hype or anything.

Yeah man you are genius,I mean we all know how you predicted that Jojo is going to be financially unsuccessful,which tells me that you have an astounding knowledge about mechanisms of Japanese market.

That hurts, but well, if it was just a few years ago: 2009-2010, RyanSaotome would probably have been right. His problem, as someone who seem infatuated and so much in love with this era (look at his comments and his avatar!!) he believes this era will last forever, he was kind of blind to not notice the subtle changes that have turned more obvious now and as such you have series like Jojo, Shingeki, Psycho-pass, the remake of Yamato, the return on Initital D, GitS, KnB as well, selling from good to phenomenal, and plenty older anime being revived as well and with sucess and/or trying to make =again= more ambitious and/or different(form the past 8 years or so) anime.

darkchibi07 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

YET, I kinda of agree RyanSaotome, this series has characters that seem out of place here, specially those lolis hinting moe.

Really? If you're referring to Mako, I see her more as a goofy sidekick friend towards the action heroine Ryuuko. It's a classic pairing.

Quote:
Some characters designs indeed seem kind of off and personalities too, kind of too cheerful, too colorful from some.

And that what makes it distinctive which is having the variety of unique character body designs while still being anime. I've noticed Trigger did the same thing with Little Witch Academia with the 3 main girls.

Well, look at the trailer, the dark school setting, look at Satsuki and Ryuuko chara designs and that of other school characteres, first I get some dark vibes, and then I have some quite colorful, cheerful, goofy characters, not only that but their designs seem kind of different to other characters, then look at Mako´s family as well, their designs.

Little Witch Academia, chara dressings are uniform and a perfect fit for the universe designs, but here, looks like a mix.

Well, I am not complaining much, but I did notice th characters designs discrepancies and how some seem not to fit entirely in the universe, but I will surely love this.

Last edited by dan9999 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
totoum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Not really, this pink haired girl, ==what little can be seen at this point==, her actions, way of talking, chara design, personality, make it look like its indeed trying to pander to that crowd, put her in one of those hardcore otaku pandering anime and would be a perfect fit.

Looks can be deceiving. Have you read her character profile?

Quote:
Her words are mean, her attitude is selfish and she has a weird sense of cute.

or seen how she looks here in the PV?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
totoum wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Looks can be deceiving. Have you read her character profile?

Quote:
Her words are mean, her attitude is selfish and she has a weird sense of cute.

or seen how she looks here in the PV?

I think you guys are talking about different girls.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
For sure buying this day one. I hope the Blu-rays have a bunch of ludicrous bonus material. Thank you Trigger for catering to ME. Shucks....the only titles I'm looking forward to in the near future aré Kill La Kill and Captain Earth. I really need to find me a new director/screenwriter duo to latch onto.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested, but it's not like it's the only anime I'm looking forward to for the Fall season.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It is really awesome to see that users who say "Japan doesnt care about KLK" provide no evidence to back their claims up.Keep up the good work guys,you are definitely not making shit up.And why are people so obsessed with sales anyway?Imaishi himself probably doesn't give a damn about sales anyway.
Jave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
And why are people so obsessed with sales anyway?

Hey, I was just curious where all the hype that this show has to live up to was Laughing People were acting like this was as hyped up as Magi 2 or Kuroko levels and I was curious where they were seeing it cause I haven't seen it talked about in Japan as much as those shows and others so it seemed like a strange thing to say that this had huge expectations to fill. Didn't know anyone was expecting it much to begin with.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Wishing on every star that we'd stop having every Trigger thread devolve into a "but Japanese fans don't care about this, therefore its a waste of time!!" vs "I don't care about Japanese otaku they are butt heads, the lot of them!!" slapfight. :(

I mean c'mon guys, it's OK to love things that aren't popular or successful! You don't need to try to pretend your faves are more popular than they really are and you definitely don't need to come poop on the party when other people are happy about something by telling them how unpopular their fave thing is.

The only otaku the show needs to be popular with is YOU, so don't even bother worrying about what other fans think about it! That's what the folks at Trigger do:

"We always want to create something “interesting and fun,” but “interesting and fun” tends to rely on what we think is interesting and fun. At this stage, we are not really considering much about whether a title is suited for Japan or other regions of the world."
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
The only otaku the show needs to be popular with is YOU, so don't even bother worrying about what other fans think about it!

And people who think that are the same ones who constantly complain about Japan not making shows they want. It does matter what shows otaku like, since those are the ones that will continue to be made. It sounds good and all to say that all that matters is that you like a show, but unless you are happy with that one random show you like a lot and never seeing any others like it, then its in your best interest for shows you like to sell well.

For instance, I loved Needless... but it sold like dirt so I know I'll never get another anime of it, which disappoints me. If it sold, it may of gotten a sequel, so in those cases I'd want a show to sell.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
We'll find out if Japan cares when the discs start coming out, that seems to be one of the best measures of interest for non-daytime anime.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
We'll find out if Japan cares when the discs start coming out, that seems to be one of the best measures of interest for non-daytime anime.

We won't even have to wait until the discs come out. Just the first few days after its solicited will tell us how much people anticipate it based on its Amazon rankings.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
We won't even have to wait until the discs come out. Just the first few days after its solicited will tell us how much people anticipate it based on its Amazon rankings.

While I do have enough faith to use those as an estimating tool, for select series they can be wildly off. Sure, if it's doing C3-bu bad then that'll be something to note, since there's no way to dig yourself out of that ditch. I wouldn't presume anything just from Inferno Cop and one single Anime Mirai episode. If they develop a habit of TV series not doing well, that will be a pattern, like GONZO and the recent Gainax.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
My point being is that if its ranked in the #2000 range or something, its not a very highly anticipated title. That just shows a lot of apathy, even for an original title. Not to say it can't raise later on once it actually airs, but buying something based on actually watching it and being hyped before it airs are different things.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
That could change when it airs, guess we'll just have to wait and see. Right now, I have no idea what the story is and have only had small previews to go off of, but I'm curious enough to find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6