• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill La Kill Anime's 3-Minute Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It sounds good and all to say that all that matters is that you like a show, but unless you are happy with that one random show you like a lot and never seeing any others like it, then its in your best interest for shows you like to sell well.

Hmmmmm good points, but I think that even if there's only ever one show like Kill La Kill, I'll still love Kill La Kill and enjoy watching it! Besides, if this little toon sold really well and people started making a ton of copycat series, that could be a problem! I might not have time to watch all of them, and some of them might be really cynical and poorly made, and maybe if the trend went on too long I'd even get bored of it! So because of that I still think it's fine to be excited about Kill La Kill even if it probably won't sell well!
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
We won't even have to wait until the discs come out. Just the first few days after its solicited will tell us how much people anticipate it based on its Amazon rankings.

Yes, yes, keep on pretending that an original IP performs exactly the same as an IP based on a successful manga/LN/video game. That's how you figured out Free! would be a failure for KyoAni before it even aired, right? Laughing
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Yes, yes, keep on pretending that an original IP performs exactly the same as an IP based on a successful manga/LN/video game. That's how you figured out Free! would be a failure for KyoAni before it even aired, right? Laughing

To be fair Free is a fujoshi show which might throw off the usual measuring method that is used for otaku oriented shows Smile Fujoshi shows don't usually sell disks as well so they might not have pre-ordered in droves like otaku do.. Kill La Kill will probably be a more accurate assessment
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
We'll find out if Japan cares when the discs start coming out, that seems to be one of the best measures of interest for non-daytime anime.

Usually yes.

Regardless of its sucess or failure as a disc seller and/or current =hardcore=japanese fans´ interest, it means absolutely nothing for the potential quality of this series, which is what we all here are more worried about, its more often than not that masterpieces dont sell nowadays anyway and it matters big fat 0 as quality =/=popularity and vice versa.

Lets leave this premature disc sales debate for those more concerned with that and the perceived "supremacy" and "quality" of hardcore otaku's favorite anime in turn.

Even if this sells 50k+ discs, we all know quite well, that there wont be (almost surely) a sequel, disc sales would matter much for other kind of series and target audience but not much here considering the background of the team and where they come from.

Last edited by dan9999 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
It sounds good and all to say that all that matters is that you like a show, but unless you are happy with that one random show you like a lot and never seeing any others like it, then its in your best interest for shows you like to sell well.

Hmmmmm good points, but I think that even if there's only ever one show like Kill La Kill, I'll still love Kill La Kill and enjoy watching it! Besides, if this little toon sold really well and people started making a ton of copycat series, that could be a problem! I might not have time to watch all of them, and some of them might be really cynical and poorly made, and maybe if the trend went on too long I'd even get bored of it! So because of that I still think it's fine to be excited about Kill La Kill even if it probably won't sell well!

There dosen't need to be any justification for being excited for Kill La Kill. You shouldn't care what some fans in Japan who you don't know think about the show, you should'nt care if it's going to popular, and you shouldn't care what some wanabe otakus think as well.

You don't need to justify being excited for an anime that looks pretty great and better then pretty much everything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Almost agree with all you said. Japanese fans still matter 98% of the time (but indeed should not particularly influence your enjoyment or not of a series), but in this particular case, this anime is not aiming full force at hardcore otaku and disc sales would not matter much for the anime itself (but it would be awesome for trigger to sells discs undoubtedly) for the reasons I mentioned above.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
There dosen't need to be any justification for being excited for Kill La Kill. You shouldn't care what some fans in Japan who you don't know think about the show, you should'nt care if it's going to popular, and you shouldn't care what some wanabe otakus think as well.

You can like it all you want just don't act like it's relevant or has any kind of huge hype surrounding it unless you can prove it >_> That's kinda the issue people have when it comes to these kinds of projects and you always get those fans who think their opinion = fact and if they like or are hyped for a show that means the market is. Save the actual hype for the top dog shows that deserve to be called hyped up x_x You thinking it looks better than "everyone else" means squat
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

You can like it all you want just don't act like it's relevant or has any kind of huge hype surrounding it unless you can prove it >_> That's kinda the issue people have when it comes to these kinds of projects and you always get those fans who think their opinion = fact and if they like or are hyped for a show that means the market is. Save the actual hype for the top dog shows that deserve to be called hyped up x_x

Top dog shows...feel the urge to comment on this, but at the least the top 2 are decent anime, Kuroko particularity, and yet, Kill la Kill is in 8th place, if being one of the top 10 most anticipated series in the fall season is not hype, or that the very least a good deal on interest on KLK, whatever it is then Laughing

The hype is particularly extremely evident among us Gurren Lagann fans, and judging by biglobe's well known crowd, even hardcore japanese otaku have not one but 2 eyes on Kill la Kill.

FUNNY "fact": Kyoukai no Kanata is beaten by Kill la Kill, and here on this site many mention the HUGE HYPE for this upcoming anime from "god" Kyoani no? Laughing When its an anime the other crowd does not particularity like, there is no hype and noone care about it, when its one of the series they like which is lower ranked in interest (than KLK, in a poll some take as an accurate crystal ball), there's much hype and all of Japan is looking forward to it, Very Happy

So what is it, is KNK doomed? Is there no hype and 0 interest on it? (@ RyanSaotome) Surprised
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
You can like it all you want just don't act like it's relevant or has any kind of huge hype surrounding it unless you can prove it >_> That's kinda the issue people have when it comes to these kinds of projects and you always get those fans who think their opinion = fact and if they like or are hyped for a show that means the market is. Save the actual hype for the top dog shows that deserve to be called hyped up x_x You thinking it looks better than "everyone else" means squat

who gives a damn about the market? why should anyone but the people selling the show care how much it sells? the studio already said they don't. why should the fans?

it may not sell domestically and most likely won't get a sequel, so... what? your tastes are Correct and you are the Winner? everyone agrees to stop caring about or preferring shows that don't chase the otaku market?

Trigger have the right mindset on this. make what you want to make, and the fans can take it or leave it.
totoum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

I have no idea what the hype level is in japan but in the west KLK is the 5th most awaited fall show on MAL (and 2nd amongst non sequels) out of about 45 shows , it's one of if not the most talked about upcoming shows in various anime communities such as anime suki's forums , reddit, /a/

So yes, I think I can factually say there's hype surrounding this show in the west.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
totoum wrote:
I have no idea what the hype level is in japan but in the west KLK is the 5th most awaited fall show on MAL (and 2nd amongst non sequels) out of about 45 shows , it's one of if not the most talked about upcoming shows in various anime communities such as anime suki's forums , reddit, /a/

So yes, I think I can factually say there's hype surrounding this show in the west.

You mean the US. How well this translates into actual video sales remains to be seen though.

The west includes Europe and Central and S. America. Don't know if the French--a bigger market, at least per capita, than the US--are as hyped about it.

But to be fair, in a Japanese self-selected poll of 5,358 votes cast,
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-04/biglobe-poll/most-anticipated-fall-2013-anime
Kill la Kill = 8th place, which is not far from MAL's 5th place.

with (1) Magi S2, (2) Kuroko S2, (3) Valverave S2, (4) Little Busters Refrain (5) Gingitsune taking top spots
totoum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

You mean the US. How well this translates into actual video sales remains to be seen though.

The west includes Europe and Central and S. America. Don't know if the French--a bigger market, at least per capita, than the US--are as hyped about it.

The sites I mentioned might be english speaking but there's people from all sorts of countries in it,especially MAL.I myself am french for example and as a frenchman I can tell you that while I'm sure the french manga market is bigger than the US one, I doubt that's the case with anime (especially DVD/ Blu rays) , but that's off topic.

And just to be clear,me saying there's hype for it in the west in no way means I'm sure it'll sell, I have no idea how well it'll sell.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can like it all you want just don't act like it's relevant or has anykind of huge hype surrounding it unless you can prove it >_>
Except no one is pretending it's relvant. No one said anything about it being huge in Japan.

People did say it had hype though and well I'm not sure on a western fandom forum website that people have to make it clear they are talking from a western/English forum view and probably just the western fandom. I'm not sure how that's not understood.

And no before you say it, no they aren't claiming western fans matter. They are speaking from what they see from western anime fan in forum communities. To which I'm not sure how you can claim Kill La Kill has no hype.

Quote:
That's kinda the issue people have when it comes to these kinds of projects and you always get those fans who think their opinion = fact and if they like or are hyped for a show that means the market is.
No the issue you have is the need to proclaim that you're otaku centric shows which you think are under attack are actually very popular, so no this is'nt what anime fans actually want and our side of the fandom is in the right see see look at my otaku poll. See see how low this show that's not solely aimed at the crowd is. See see it's not going to be popular. See see no one actually wants it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:

who gives a damn about the market? why should anyone but the people selling the show care how much it sells? the studio already said they don't. why should the fans?

it may not sell domestically and most likely won't get a sequel, so... what? your tastes are Correct and you are the Winner? everyone agrees to stop caring about or preferring shows that don't chase the otaku market?

Trigger have the right mindset on this. make what you want to make, and the fans can take it or leave it.

Thank you, I don't see why people start getting so hung up on sales figures and ratings. It's doesn't effect ones view on the show (whether one likes it or not) and it doesn't effect how good a show is or isn't, in a persons opinion.

I don't see how bringing up sales is relevant now as the show hasn't even aired yet, let alone started selling hard copies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

But to be fair, in a Japanese self-selected poll of 5,358 votes cast,
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-04/biglobe-poll/most-anticipated-fall-2013-anime
Kill la Kill = 8th place, which is not far from MAL's 5th place.

with (1) Magi S2, (2) Kuroko S2, (3) Valverave S2, (4) Little Busters Refrain (5) Gingitsune taking top spots

What I said. There is actually a lot of interest in Japan as well, and coming from a poll that only hardcore otaku participate in.

Could it not be that hardcore otaku and their pandering anime feel threatened? Laughing I mean, theres no hype for Kill La Kill but its 8th place on that poll, but theres huge hype and all anime fans in japan are looking forward to lower ranked, (than Kill la Kill) but hardcore otaku pandering anime! Worst, the top 2 ranked anime are not otaku driven! Even worst, upcoming anime from "venerated" Kyoani does not even makes it to the top 10, Ace of Diamond is even above it..... mmmmm..... (nice balance I see there considering hardcore fans taste.. changing? )

TsunaReborn! wrote:

I don't see how bringing up sales is relevant now as the show hasn't even aired yet, let alone started selling hard copies.

This obsession with disc sales data always starts very early for hardcore otaku. Jut go to MAL and the DVD/BD thread to get a glimpse of it. Take notice for example of stalker amazon predictions, so yes, sales mean a great deal for hardcore otaku, the series they almost always depend solely on on that to be fair but the "supremacy" and quality of an anime for them seems to be solely based on disc sales and popularity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6