• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill La Kill Anime's 3-Minute Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this looks badass and fun. I could do without the 'gentleman's club' transformation sequence and get-up, but if it has enough else going for it, I can give that a pass. Kill La Kill looks really enthusiastic.

I really like the art that we' seen so far. It's distinctive and has a very dynamic, cinematic look. (I can't really discern, but it feels like there's some sort of filter being use) I am a little worried that because this is a television production, they'll be fighting their budget hard and lose a little too often. There were what looked like a few tricks and fudges in the trailer. I hope that they have just enough money are are just judicious enough to give this series the moments of visual spectacle and intensity that its ambitions mandate.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Maybe its just the character designs themselves which are lacking, I dunno. But theres no Yoko, Nia or any other good designed girls from TTGL in this show. Their designs are pretty odd looking... like that high school girl. Her face is all fat and weird looking, there weren't any characters like that in TTGL. All the girls in that show were designed to look attractive, but this girl is just designed to look weird.

Pitch for a new Syfy reality series: RyanSaotome tours great museums of art, complains that the woman grieving over a dead child isn't cute and that it tries too hard to look different; dismisses the Mona Lisa as weird looking and unattractive.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Except no one is pretending it's relvant. No one said anything about it being huge in Japan.

People did say it had hype though and well I'm not sure on a western fandom forum website that people have to make it clear they are talking from a western/English forum view and probably just the western fandom. I'm not sure how that's not understood.

And no before you say it, no they aren't claiming western fans matter. They are speaking from what they see from western anime fan in forum communities. To which I'm not sure how you can claim Kill La Kill has no hype.

It seems like some people want to treat Japanese otaku like the God of the old testament whom for the sake of our immortal we should all grovel and prostrate ourselves before. Sometimes it seems that to some people, 'Japanese otaku' themselves are somehow the point and whatever anime we like or watch is just a means to show fidelity to them. It frustrates me when I read people denigrating the west as irrelevant, because it's goddamned relevant to me. It's where my 'fandom' exists and where I interact with other who share my interests. I see that it hardly matters to the Japanese market, but seeing as that's the case, why should we pretend or put on airs about how much the Japanese market matters to us. That's not being a fan, it's trying to be in a codependent relationship.

I'm not trying to claim that the Japanese market is irrelevant or should be ignored. Given that it's where anime comes from, it certainly merit having an eye kept on it and it can be very interesting. But, given that there's no material connection between the opinions of the western market on the outcomes in the Japanese one, I can't see why it should be particularly influential or controlling upon us. Maybe nobody in Japan cares about Kill La Kill, but people in the fan community that I interact and am interested do and since I can't do anything about Japan, it doesn't really matter. What will come will come.

By the same token, to throw a bone to the opposition, it's silly to heap so much abuse and blame upon otaku. Knowing about and analyzing their attitudes in good faith can be interesting, but working up a heady, frothy brew of disdain and judgement for them does nothing that matters and no good for anybody. Besides that, it's gotten tiresome and isn't very interesting.

Dan999 wrote:
What I said. There is actually a lot of interest in Japan as well, and coming from a poll that only hardcore otaku participate in.

I recommend against putting much faith in that. Biglobe's polls seem to have as much predictive power as that Unskewed Polls guy. Their methodology seems pretty dubious. (I'd rather see a poll that has at least some precautions against multiple voting and used some sort of ordinal ballot)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Surely disc sales would only tell part of the story. As many watch in streaming sites like Crunchyroll or download illegally and never buy the discs.

Even if someone buys the box set they may not have seen the series before. I do this with 90% of anime I buy and I must say there have been a few I have purchased which I have not finished or not enjoyed. I would not be the only person to have down this.

So in my mind the only real way of finding out how popular something is, is to ask every person who has seen the series whether or not they liked the series/show.

But I am not saying sales figures are not meaningful but that would really only show how profitable and successful in sales figures it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Really would be nice if people wouldn't just use "otaku" to mean "fans of things I don't like who screw things up because they aren't liking the things I like"

All otaku do not have the same taste. To try and claim that a show obviously aimed at the general otaku demographic like Kill la Kill isn't an otaku show is actually completely ridiculous.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I must mention that examples in which a show is very famous in west,but not in Japan are very rare.Even generic crapola like Infinite Stratos is relatively popular here.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Really would be nice if people wouldn't just use "otaku" to mean "fans of things I don't like who screw things up because they aren't liking the things I like"

All otaku do not have the same taste. To try and claim that a show obviously aimed at the general otaku demographic like Kill la Kill isn't an otaku show is actually completely ridiculous.

From my own perception of this issue, this has been a recurring problem in the western fandom. There is this narrow-minded view that otaku anime is one of a very specific, esoteric type of anime genre, rather than a number of shows across an entire genre with otaku just being the target demographic. One can also see this mistake when people assume the term 'shonen' refers specifically to action shows rather than just any anime that is aimed at young boys, and can also include comedy, romance, and other genres. I suspect that misconception stems from the issue that American audiences have little exposure to shonen series outside the action genre, and titles like Kochikame, Himedol, Haikyu!!, Sket Dance, and Gintama go unheard of in America. Anime is divided into a few very clear demographic categories in Japan. Shows aimed at mainstream children such, shows aimed at otaku, and shows aimed at fujoshi. One could combine the otaku and fujoshi shows into the general late night adult oriented category but for the sake of this argument we can separate them to make things a bit clearer.

I am unsure how people can look at Kill la Kill and not recognize when it is targeting otaku; is is not aimed at children and it it will air late at night and be reliant on disk sales for it's revenue. It is no different than other late night anime out there. Now, whether it will sell or not is another matter entirely, however whether it's met with success or failure does not change the issue Kill la Kill is a show aimed at the hardcore otaku audience and trying to disassociate it with them is folly. Failure or success to appeal to a target market does no change that target market.

I am curious how these individuals feel about shows aimed at the mainstream audience but have very large peripheral markets in otaku and fujoshi communities. The upcoming Magi anime is fairly popular among older otaku audiences, as are the recurring franchises Gintama and Pretty Cure. Fujoshi have all but co-opted a number of children's shows for their own enjoyment as well. I think these examples showcase that the otaku market in Japan does not have such one-track minds as some people in this thread would like to think, and any attempt at pigeonholing otaku will be met with resistance and objection from those who have a better understanding of the market and audience behavior in Japan. Like shonen, shojo, josei, and seinen, we must always keep in mind otaku is not a genre, it is a demographic and only tells us who the show is aimed at, not what it's content will be.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
*ignores the rants*

To put it simply, I can't wait to see this anime. Very Happy

I love the anthropomorphic school uniform, by the way. Taking such an iconic element and turning it into an actual character is a brilliant idea, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have this crazy feeling that Mako might end up being the TRUE final boss? Beware the cute ones! Laughing
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Does anyone have this crazy feeling that Mako might end up being the TRUE final boss? Beware the cute ones! Laughing

Mako is the moe-looking girl, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
uguu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
What?

This looks just like Gurren Lagann. There's hardly a difference.

Maybe its just the character designs themselves which are lacking, I dunno. But theres no Yoko, Nia or any other good designed girls from TTGL in this show. Their designs are pretty odd looking... like that high school girl. Her face is all fat and weird looking, there weren't any characters like that in TTGL. All the girls in that show were designed to look attractive, but this girl is just designed to look weird.

Thats basically what I mean... the characters are going for a more "off the wall, trying to make every character look like a different artstyle" thing that was big in the 80s, instead of having one universal art style that was attractive like TTGL.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090222054225/gurennlagann/images/2/29/17157-61177-gurrenragonmonjpg-550x.jpg

Just to illustrate my point further, look at this pic. It looks like a pretty normal art style, where everyone looks like they are part of the same anime. But this show has characters that all look like they'd be part of different anime because of their designs.

cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit550x550/cms/news/65992/chara01.jpg
vs
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/news/66417/img3.png

I would never guess they were the same show if I didn't already know.

You're just mad that the designs are actually very varied. Mako and her family have fantastic designs; they're clearly meant to look like 70s anime characters and have a "gag anime family" dynamic going for them, but they still work within the context of the show.

Mako's face is very 70s:
http://www.mangauk.com/gallery/albums/album-19/lg/panda4.jpeg

http://www.animated-divots.net/images/shindokonjo.jpg

and it's not 'flat' at all, it's quite solidly drawn.

I also find it funny how people instantly associate 'old-looking' with '80s' and '90s' when Imaishi & co love 70s anime so much.

Also your example of a good GL illustration is shitty fan art. Why not post something by Yoh Yoshinari or someone cool like that?
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Dokonjo Gaeru!!! Aw! I think someone in another thread was saying that the talking serafuku in Kill La Kill was like a really hardcore, violent Pyonkichi, which is both hilarious and awesome.
uguu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Dokonjo Gaeru!!! Aw! I think someone in another thread was saying that the talking serafuku in Kill La Kill was like a really hardcore, violent Pyonkichi, which is both hilarious and awesome.

It's clearly the primary influence for the whole 'living clothes' thing. It's one of Imaishi's favorite shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6