• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The RZA Gets His Afro Samurai On

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Wu-Tang were never gangsta rap in the first place. Your view-point on hip hop history is pretty dang skewed, no ofense, you need to go places other than MTV for your information. I don't feel like explaining it all here, but Wu-Tang came straight from the underground. They need to get back to that kind of feeling if they want to survive in this kind of market place. There are a few different factions in hip hop, I think true hip hop heads who are the real fans, and bs listeners who support people like Nelly. You have to make a distinction. Wu-Tang can gain back the real listeners if they go back to putting out gang-buster quality material like they did in the 90's. Production wise and lyrically those are some of the best albums ever made. The only person who is still on a simular level right now is Ghostface, and he did that by distancing himself from the Wu-Tang. Methodman is a disaster of wackness right now. I have no hopes for any solo or duet crap form that guy right now. He is by far the most over-rated member anyways. People only believed he was the best because thats what MTV told you. Even RZA has said in an interview that his debut album, Tical, was the one they made for the kids.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would enjoy talking about the state of hip-hop and rap and the Wu's position on both (i might even bring back the 36 chambers avatar Cool ) I'll try to get back on topic:

If anyone wants to see any of the RZA's past work of course go back to the original Wu albums, most notably Raekwon's Only Built for Cuban Links (Standout beat:Verbal Intercourse) and GZA's Liquid Swords (Standout Beat:4th Chamber).

Also as far as movie scoring goes he scored the Kill Bill duology so if you enjoyed that I'm sure that this next project will be of the same calibur.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Wu-Tang were never gangsta rap in the first place. Your view-point on hip hop history is pretty dang skewed, no ofense, you need to go places other than MTV for your information.

Word? I'm from the west coast, so I'll admit there's a great deal of bias, but not so much that I don't give credit where it's due. I've never been much of a fan of MTV (except for the random Heat Guy J, or RR/RR Challenge episode), but am much better versed than that. My favorite rappers from the day wouldn't be caught dead on MTV - unless some other east coaster bit them. C'mon, how many ANN forum members were regular readers of 4080 and Murder Dog Magazine? Smile

I 50/50 agree with you about The Wu getting back to their roots. Yes, they'd be much better in my eyes, however, I'm of the opinion that the time of gangsta has passed. For many years now, Rap music in general has been more about bling than bang as of late (Take Jay-Z and Beyonce's mockery of 2pac's ode to his strap Me and My Girlfriend for instance), and adding that to the passing of ODB, I just can't see an old-school style Wu record being a hit - underground or not.

I agree with you that Ghostface is still doing it. I also agree that Tical was wak. But there's no way you sit there and tell me Meth & Red didn't have a good thing going. The cool beats, flows, and crazyness made for a great album. Sure, it wasn't Protect ya GD neck, but it was fun.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Theres no way anyone is going to convince me Wu-Tang Clan made gangsta rap. They were way too artistic and abstract for that title. Listen to Wu-Tang Forever and tell me that sounds like a gangsta rap record. The classifications you are using are extremely narrow, like I said you have some stuff you need to learn. You may know some or lots of your westcoast artists, but hip hop was born and for the most part raised in New York.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2