• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds 2011 Fullmetal Alchemist Film, Is this a Zombie?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ToAru II really pushed the ecchi level up.

However, the only fanservice moments I remember in the first season were in the Angel Fall arc... and I think that was just some joke/comedy arc anyway, what with all the body switching and what-not.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You're listing minor incidents in two longer shows. They lack real nudity, and the focus is never on ecchi fanservice. They may be dumb shows, but they're absolutely not fanservice, as pertaining to showing off naked women, shows.

1. I never said they were ecchi shows, I was simply pointing out that the series isn't as innocent as people here seem to think it is.

2. You're out of your mind if you don't think Index, Railgun, and Index II are fanservice shows. It may not be the primary focus of the show, I know it's not what I watch them for, but it's definitely used as one of their major selling points. In fact you'd be hard pressed to name a female character in Index II that isn't shown naked (with very, very small obscuration) at one point or another. Fanservice doesn't mean everything has to be shown, it doesn't have to be full on nudity to be fanservice.

Megiddo wrote:
However, the only fanservice moments I remember in the first season were in the Angel Fall arc... and I think that was just some joke/comedy arc anyway, what with all the body switching and what-not.

It's actually a legitimate arc from the light novels and is referenced again at the end of Index II.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Index (especially the 2nd) are shonen action shows with ecchi elements, while the majority of the other shows are ecchi shows first and foremost. Theres no question that Index 2 and Railgun can be tagged as ecchi, though. Index 1 was pretty tame though
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
the one thing i want to know about funimation is when hellsing volume five is coming out? they been releasing lots of other things.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Not only are they NOT releasing the plethora of shit they licensed like a year ago (Index, Hellsing, Black Lagoon, etc...), but they have to license THIS crap?
Did you know that all of the shows you named are Geneon-Universal titles? That's part of the problem right there. Lots of added red tape from the merger, lots of production material delays probably as well both before and after the disasters. Not to mention it's possible that the post-merger company is still internally debating how to proceed with licenses.
There are other shows that could be on his list that aren't related to Geneon, like Spice & Wolf II and the much-protracted Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor.

Yes, Funi says that they're both coming, and give quasi-valid reasons for missing their predicted dates, but in fairness so did/does Harold Camping, and I'm not letting him off the rusty hook of derision for that. Neither is anyone else. Wink

Once again, no new licenses that catch my eye. I'll get Freezing just to see how hilarious the dub turns out to be, especially if uses a lot of established dub actors, but sadly I know it won't even have the possibility of being a good buy on other merits (characters, plot, etc) as Funi's Rin did. Maybe C will turn out to be good to me.

But hey, I applaud the efforts of those of you out there who buy the stuff I won't to keep Funimation afloat so that some day the shows that they have in Purgatory will finally make it to market.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
This is fantastic news!! Really enjoyed Zombie in it's initial run, glad to see it picked up.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Why won't they get Deadman Wonderland?

The anime JUST started in Japan so of course they're not even thinking about requiring a liscence yet. It only has, like, 6 episodes out right now :/
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
MAYBE if we're lucky, FUNi will announce Hellsing 5 and/or 6 soon for a Halloweenish release. As for Black Lagoon OVAs, lookin' more like 2012...

...but I am stoked about the FMA movie getting a January 2012-ish theatrical release. Even though it really has nothing to do with the FMA:B series, it's coming out at just the right time with the [as] run of the series likely ending in October.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll definately be picking Zombie up, it was definately a stand out show for me.
A question though, for those who are more skilled in japanese than I, is 'This is a Zombie?' an incorrect translation for the title or just too literal a translation? Moving 'is' to before or after 'this' changes the meaning in my view, so I was wondering if I was very far off the mark when I originally saw the title.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
There are other shows that could be on his list that aren't related to Geneon, like Spice & Wolf II and the much-protracted Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor.

Spice and Wolf II has already been available to pre-order for August for a week or so now, and at the panel FUNimation confirmed DtB II will be released this year.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
A question though, for those who are more skilled in japanese than I, is 'This is a Zombie?' an incorrect translation for the title or just too literal a translation? Moving 'is' to before or after 'this' changes the meaning in my view, so I was wondering if I was very far off the mark when I originally saw the title.

It's a literal translation. Thinking about it, your interpretation sounds a bit better in English to me. However, if I were to translate that back into Japanese, I'd probably go with, "Kore wa Zombie nan desu ka?" There's some wiggle room either way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5