• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Amagami SS, MM! TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Woo hoo for Amagami. Hopefully it comes out on BD. This, Arakawa, Angel Beats, HSotD, and Katanagatari make me wonder if the "fear of reverse importation" is really as big as people make it out to be. Those shows are coming out in the US on DVD and/or BD about a year after they aired on Japanese TV, which feels pretty quick.

Kougeru wrote:

wasnt hatsukoi limited between those? or was that a seperate studio....I'm fairly certain it was the same people invovled for the most part.

Hatsukoi was animated by JC Staff and I'd cream my pants if it got announced for a US release. I loooooooove that show.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Woo hoo for Amagami. Hopefully it comes out on BD. This, Arakawa, Angel Beats, HSotD, and Katanagatari make me wonder if the "fear of reverse importation" is really as big as people make it out to be. Those shows are coming out in the US on DVD and/or BD about a year after they aired on Japanese TV, which feels pretty quick.

Well, the Japanese license holders have had a year to sell their own BD, so that helps lessen the fears of reverse importation. They know that their market is not willing to wait a full year to own the show on BD even if it's for half the price, so there's no issue with letting the US bring it out on BD a year or more after the fact. If we ever start getting near simultaneous BD releases with Japan on a regular basis, then we can start talking about whether or not reverse importation is a legitimate concern.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
If we ever start getting near simultaneous BD releases with Japan on a regular basis, then we can start talking about whether or not reverse importation is a legitimate concern.

See, reverse importation won't be a concern if it's the same price for everyone. Say, if the Japanese would've been charged $300 while America and Europe around $50, then split the difference and charge $175 in simultaneous Japan-US-Europe release, so everyone shares the burden. Laughing
Scormio

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Every company has a preferred "style" to them: Sentai likes fan-service with a side of action, FUNimation edges towards action more than anything (though they do try to stay well-rounded enough), Media Blasters prefers smaller-name, violent, and ecchi shows, Discotek prefers old-school, and Nozomi caters to the otakus, hardcore fans, and collectors. Sure, each of them will license titles that are out of their usual preferences, but who wouldn't honestly? You never know when you might find another niche that sells well enough.

I think that having their own style is a good thing at times. I'm more inclined to give new Sentai licenses a look over because I've enjoyed the things they've licensed in the past and, if this is similar, I'd probably enjoy it as well.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
If we ever start getting near simultaneous BD releases with Japan on a regular basis, then we can start talking about whether or not reverse importation is a legitimate concern.

See, reverse importation won't be a concern if it's the same price for everyone. Say, if the Japanese would've been charged $300 while America and Europe around $50, then split the difference and charge $175 in simultaneous Japan-US-Europe release, so everyone shares the burden. Laughing

I don't know how serious you are trying to be, what with the laughing smiley, but I don't see that working for a few reasons. First, US customers generally are not going to want to pay more than they currently do, so raising the price will drive away some. Let's set aside the whole KnK set for now, in part because I don't know if it's been said how many units were sold in the US, and in part because one example does not a pattern make. If we get another release like that, priced as that was and it sells a large number of units, then it can start to come into play. But, for now I'm willing to bet that for most releases, most people who currently buy BDs here wouldn't be willing to pay Japanese prices. Second, the Japanese companies are unlikely to want to lower their prices if enough people in Japan are already fine with paying what they're currently charging. And I just don't know whether or not US+Europe sales at an elevated price point, which would be lower in number than they are now, would make up for the profits lost by lowering the Japanese price point. Maybe it would work out, but I doubt there's any company that's willing to take that risk.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
Amagami? MM!? Sweet! Loved both of these.

Didn't finish MM for some reason. I wonder why. There was only one episode left. What am I waiting for? Guess now I know!

Seriously, Sentai is killing me finance wise. Hardly any of their releases go to Netflix (Clannad being the exception). June alone is going to murder me good.

And I don't even get bluray.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Lord Geo & Scorimo on this.
Sentai/Sector 23 looks like they are about to be the Phoenix, rising from the scorched earth of ADV. Fine with me! I have been enjoying the sub-only titles that they've put out so far, and when I heard Demon King Daimao was getting dubbed, at first it barely caught my notice, as I enjoyed the sub version so far.
But then I saw the english voice cast and .....heckydurn yes! It's pretty much the same english cast as Pani Poni Dash, and that sealed the deal for me, i'll be picking it up upon it's release. The ADV VA crew was always my favorite english dub crew, and though I know it's almost taboo to downplay the Funi/BangZoom corporate empire here (not nice to talk bad about the sponsors, you know!)there's only so much of their same-y-ness that I can handle, and it's the main reason I did not purchase the Lucky Star series after Vol.1-as after hearing Emiri Katoh doing Kagami, with the first line of hearing Kari Wahlgren, my lunch just about came back for a recount. Also the Funi dvds and their forced viewing of the trailers just rubs me the wrong way, and I guess there's no Shin-Chan outside of what Adult Swim ran, huh? Well, not if that's all they'll put out on dvd. But I digress. My only hope is that Funi/BangZoom won't ruin Kore Wa Zombie, but I won't bet on it, and glad I've already seen it in it's original form.
Now if only Sentai/Sector 23 could somehow get the SZS franchise from the still-sitting-on-it-apparently Media Blasters, perhaps it might finally see light of day R1. Already been over a year of waiting, and still nothing. Also, if Sentai/Sec23 got it, it's the only possible way it could ever be dubbed for R1 with any success-and that's not a given, considering the un-dubbable(?) "Perry" episode.
Welcome back ADV 2.0*!
(*-Sentai/Sector23)
--Like what you like, don't like what you don't, and don't let anyone tell you different.--
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
PaniPoni61 wrote:
Also the Funi dvds and their forced viewing of the trailers just rubs me the wrong way,

Dude, you can just push one of the menu buttons on your remote and one of them will take you straight to the menu. It has always worked for me on my old DVD players & my PS3.

Quote:
and I guess there's no Shin-Chan outside of what Adult Swim ran, huh? Well, not if that's all they'll put out on dvd. But I digress.

They have more of Shin-Chan and they'll be releasing episodes 53-78 this summer.

•Shin-Chan: Season 3 Collection, Part 1 - 325 minutes - $39.98 - 7/26/11
•Shin-Chan: Season 3 Collection, Part 2 - 325 minutes - $39.98 - 8/30/11

Quote:
My only hope is that Funi/BangZoom won't ruin Kore Wa Zombie, but I won't bet on it, and glad I've already seen it in it's original form.

Bang Zoom's not even involved with FUNi so why bring them up here?
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yow, this isn't the first time I've been told about the menu options, but perhaps it's my dvd player, but every time I have tried to skip to the menu, I get the circle with a slash through it that will not allow me to do so. This doesn't happen with any other makers' dvds, go figure. But though it might be my dvd player, it still works well enough so i'm not about to get rid of it yet.
Thank you very much for the Shin-Chan information, I had not heard about this, but it pleases me VERY much! When I think of all the movies that probably won't see R1 release, it's a little maddening, but with any more Shin-i'm a very happy camper.
I went with the reference to Funi/BZ as they seem to walk hand-in-hand with each other, and Though I do like Funi's re-releases of the Geneon product, BZ's voice crew just leaves me dry for the most part. If BZ has been on any other licensees material, I am unaware of it, or have not viewed any. My apologies for my error, but I will stand by my comments about the VAs. It's not a popular opinion I know, but I really liked "Zombie" and if the voice acting isn't good, i'll still probably pick up the dvds, but will watch the subs on it only.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
PaniPoni61 wrote:
Also the Funi dvds and their forced viewing of the trailers just rubs me the wrong way,

Dude, you can just push one of the menu buttons on your remote and one of them will take you straight to the menu. It has always worked for me on my old DVD players & my PS3.

Actually, you can't. I've tried hitting menu, fast forward, and skip, and all functions do not work on Funi's trailers in the beginning.

Now, if you ripped and copied them onto a blank dvd, you'll be able to. But perhaps I've said too much.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
PaniPoni61 wrote:

Actually, you can't. I've tried hitting menu, fast forward, and skip, and all functions do not work on Funi's trailers in the beginning.

Actually, yea you can. I can do it on my computer, bd player, and my 360 when I had it. It's your player, not their discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree that it's likely a hardware-dependent issue. I've have no problem jumping directly to the menu or episodes on any of my recent FUNi DVD or BD purchases using my PS3. I haven't bothered watching any DVDs on my older players.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
KOH-I think you just answered the question right there.
Maybe it's something that you can skip on a computer, but not on a dvd player.
If I get the chance tonight, i'll give one a try on the ol' PC and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up!
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I think it's pretty unlikely that Amagami will be on BD. So far with Sentai, all they're Blu-ray shows have been shows with an English dub...it's a convergence point of bigger sales volume. They said Amagai is likely to be sub-only. All the titles they consider more niche and less mainstream are sub-only and DVD-only (Hidamari, Maid-sama, etc).

prime_pm wrote:

I can skip them on my BD player with the button "Root Menu," or "Pop-Up Menu."
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
PaniPoni61 wrote:

Actually, yea you can. I can do it on my computer, bd player, and my 360 when I had it. It's your player, not their discs.

Well, mine's shit anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5