• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Central 2011 - Sentai Filmworks Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Wish there was something on Gintama... Crying or Very sad
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sentai also has no plans to release any further Glass Mask, which has been a sales disappointment for them

*Sigh* I figured this was the case, but actually reading it is really depressing. "Glass Mask" (especially this version) is probably one of my favorite anime ever, so it's too bad I won't be able to own the whole thing, especially since the 2005 version doesn't really step out of the previous adaptations' shadows until just after the point Sentai's release stops. At least it's still on Crunchyroll. For now.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Well... it'll be a while to see Sentai make any leaps of faith. Perhaps the only quality series they dubbed was Ghost Hound(haven't seen Xamd).

Who knows? Maybe they'll re-license End of Evangelion? Then again, I don't know the status.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
I wasn't surprised about Glass Mask either, but it would have made my day if they had picked up season 2. It's a shame that such a huge percentage of shojo anime flops in the states. It's funny because shojo manga seems to sell pretty well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
they have come down considerably since the boom days of the market and that Japanese Licensors are being sensitive in that respect to the recent changes in the American market.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was more about the changes in the Japanese market than the American one.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I wasn't surprised about Glass Mask either, but it would have made my day if they had picked up season 2. It's a shame that such a huge percentage of shojo anime flops in the states. It's funny because shojo manga seems to sell pretty well.

Everybody knows girls don't watch cartoons. Just look at TV ratings! Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
It's bizarre... Shoujo anime is very successful in streaming, but on DVD has, historically speaking, always been a lot riskier. (This few hits hit HUGE, but most of them completely fall on their face.) Guess the girls who want to stockpile media tend towards manga.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
It's bizarre... Shoujo anime is very successful in streaming, but on DVD has, historically speaking, always been a lot riskier. (This few hits hit HUGE, but most of them completely fall on their face.) Guess the girls who want to stockpile media tend towards manga.
I find it's a catch 22 situation. Can't buy it if so few are available, and so few are available because it's perceived no one will buy it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
Stoopid non-DVD-buying gurls! I guess because of you skinflints, I'll never be able to own my own copy of Skip Beat! Twisted Evil (Note the preceding is for "just kidding!" purposes and is not intended to bring down fangirl wrath on my head - although, I am serious about wanting to own my own copy of Skip Beat!)

As a 46-year-old male I'm not exactly in the bull's eye of the shojo target market, but then again the target market for good stories is, well, everybody.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Stoopid non-DVD-buying gurls! I guess because of you skinflints, I'll never be able to own my own copy of Skip Beat! Twisted Evil (Note the preceding is for "just kidding!" purposes and is not intended to bring down fangirl wrath on my head - although, I am serious about wanting to own my own copy of Skip Beat!)

As a 46-year-old male I'm not exactly in the bull's eye of the shojo target market, but then again the target market for good stories is, well, everybody.

'm 25 almost 26 yea old male so I' not the bulls eye target either. I keep wishing someone would license Love*Com (the anime), but I guess it will be a pipe dream that I will carry to the grave.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Glad someone asked those questions about Night Raid since that clears a few things up (and it looks like it'll be dubbed which is always nice, won't be able to get it for a while with Utena and other things soaking up my budget but it's still nice to know). And it's just nice to hear that Sentai seems to be doing alright and getting better, even if most of the stuff they license isn't to my tastes at all.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
My question is what is the state of releasing any more Gintama or Eyeshield 21 DVDs?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I may be a 33 year old male, but I agree with that sentiment. If I could get Skip Beat! on DVD on my shelves, I'd be a happy man. Well, guess I'll just have to settle for the manga, which is an outstanding thing to have to "settle" for.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
My question is what is the state of releasing any more Gintama or Eyeshield 21 DVDs?

No one asked anything about this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'll never be able to own my own copy of Skip Beat!

As a mid 20s male, this does indeed make me sad. I've seen the manga make the top 10 USA weekly manga list, so there still is a small chance.

But seriously, who could not love Kyoko and the rest of the group there at L.M.E?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2