• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's Ad Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, that's just bullshit. People disagree with positive statements all the time.

I didn't say nobody disagreed. I said nobody trots out this "You can't have an opinion based only on the PV" bullshit. Go right ahead and disagree when someone's opinion of the show doesn't match your own. Just stop with this transparent crap where you act like they can't even have an opinion because it's just a preview. You're more than happy to accept people forming opinions based on the preview when those opinions are positive (or more specifically when they agree with your own).

Quote:
People like SA sneered at those morons who dismissed Free! before it aired just because it was obviously a fanservice service show with dudes, but apparently that attitude is just fine if its a fanservice show with women.

Yeah, so apparently this is the fanservice rhetoric de jour. Although I'm not really sure who it is supposed to be directed at. I'm sure there are plenty of people complaining just because of fanservice. Although I don't know who of that group is supposed to have been a fan of Free. And SA who you mention for some reason, was pretty receptive to this show, fanservice included. His main gripe seemed to be that it looks like it might have a real misogynistic streak with it's apparent focus on agony and distress. Which, as other have noted is the reason they dislike a lot of fanservice anime aimed at men but are okay with Free. For me it's a bit of both. I don't think I ever really went out of my way to defend Free. It always struck me as basically a dumb fanservice show a lot like this one. Although where Free mostly elicited disinterest, the aforementioned misogynistic streak here is what triggers a response of more active derision. Well, that and you going off on people.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Ya know what's funny? I've never once seen anyone condescendingly tell someone off for looking at a preview and saying "Hey, this looks like it will be really good". But any time someone looks at a preview and says "This looks like it will be really bad" a bunch of people totally lose it and start ranting about how stupid they are for judging it based only on a preview. It makes it pretty obvious that the people preaching are actually just mad because others' initial reaction was negative when their own was positive.

I just tell people that if a preview isn't enough to tell if something is bad, then it's also not enough to tell if it's good. Or the inverse: if a preview is enough to tell if something is good, then it's also enough to tell if it's bad.
Mugley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Which has everything to do with a double standard and nothing to do with how Haruka and co. do not spend every breathing moment looking and sounding like they're being sexually assaulted

I'm not sure if you've ever actually watched wrestling but that's an accurate description of the sport actually. Only in real life it's with muscular men grunting as they crawl on each other Shocked As a guy I will say I'd probably prefer watching girls do that than other guys.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Just FTR I have. I'm Mexican, pro-wres (or Lucha Libre, as we call it) is big here, and I remember Lady Apache being one of my favorite wrestlers growing up (and Octagón and Máscara Sagrada for the men). She and her peers did nothing of the sort of moaning like she was in heat and everything about roaring, swearing and shouting battle cries. Yes, their outfits are sexy and skimpy like in this anime, but they didn't shove their boobs into the camera, they tossed their opponents all over the ring and crushed them while screaming victoriously.

Then again, pro-wres may have had a 180 degree turn in the ten years it's been since I last watched it, which would be a real shame.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Just FTR I have. I'm Mexican, pro-wres (or Lucha Libre, as we call it) is big here, and I remember Lady Apache being one of my favorite wrestlers growing up (and Octagón and Máscara Sagrada for the men). She and her peers did nothing of the sort of moaning like she was in heat and everything about roaring, swearing and shouting battle cries. Yes, their outfits are sexy and skimpy like in this anime, but they didn't shove their boobs into the camera, they tossed their opponents all over the ring and crushed them while screaming victoriously.

Then again, pro-wres may have had a 180 degree turn in the ten years it's been since I last watched it, which would be a real shame.

If it was so good, then why'd ya stop?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
A variety of reasons that range from very personal things that are not relevant to the discussion and me generally losing interest in it (and watching sports on TV in general) as I grew up and took interest in different things. Plus, many of the famous wrestlers of the time retired or disappeared (Lady Apache married Electroshock and they took a long time off the screens, Abismo Negro turned up dead on the side of a road, Máscara Maligna lost his mask in a fight and soon after died of a heart attack or something like that, etc.). Also, being a kid as I was back then and not understanding the "stage play" factor of the sport, I frequently got pissed at the "bad" referees which seemed to raise in numbers, since I rooted for the "good" guys (don't judge me, I was 9)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
ikc - yeah, I'd agree that people are more likely to take offense at a negative opinion based on a brief PV as opposed to a positive opinion*. So what? No doubt if somebody said Berserk looked "horrible" on the basis of a brief PV you'd think they were a twit, too. So what? My issue is with people like yourself, SA (and please don't be fooled by his comments in this thread, he most definitely has a problem with female fanservice - he's articulated that a number of times) or RahXephon who don't like fanservice in general coming into a fanservice title thread and issuing a kneejerk dismissal of a show on the basis of a brief promo.

Hey, maybe you're right. Maybe the show is terrible. I'll certainly know what my opinion is when I actually watch it.

* by the way, can you point me to a specific example where someone has said, on only the basis of a brief PV, "well clearly this is a great show" in a non-ironic, non-humorous basis?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
As a general rule, there isn't much useful you can say about any show based on PVs, but coming into a thread and stomping around about how much you think it will suck is easily the least useful thing you can do.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ikc - yeah, I'd agree that people are more likely to take offense at a negative opinion based on a brief PV as opposed to a positive opinion*. So what? No doubt if somebody said Berserk looked "horrible" on the basis of a brief PV you'd think they were a twit, too.

No Blood. I really wouldn't. It's a goddamned preview. People read or watch it and say "Gee, that looks good/bad/interesting/boring/etc." That's the [expletive] point. I might not agree with your impression but I'm not gonna go off on some bullshit tirade about how you shouldn't judge it based on the preview. And there's no sane reason you can't do the same. So stop going all apeshit whenever somebody has a different opinion than you.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Previews are intended to try and sell us the show, it's the show putting it's best foot forward to try and attract viewers. This show is selling fanservice and girls in compromising positions while uttering grunts of pain. That's most of the PV. A lot of people will judge what they see in previews, almost everyone here has, at some point, decided whether or not they were going to watch something based on a preview.

From the preview I can tell this is something I'm not interested in, but if it gets a lot of positive buzz, I might check it out.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Previews are intended to try and sell us the show, it's the show putting it's best foot forward to try and attract viewers. This show is selling fanservice and girls in compromising positions while uttering grunts of pain. That's most of the PV. A lot of people will judge what they see in previews, almost everyone here has, at some point, decided whether or not they were going to watch something based on a preview.

From the preview I can tell this is something I'm not interested in, but if it gets a lot of positive buzz, I might check it out.
Yep, I'm not sure why people seem to not get this, the whole point of a preview/trailer is to give you an idea what the thing is about and sell you on it. Evn when it's a preview of a strange title that's trying to be mysterious and withhold everything, the mystery is what's supposed to be intersting. Either way the preview is eaxctly meant for you to judge if you think something looks good enough to partake in or not.

And this preview just looks like cheap trash without even nice animation(if it did dont you think they would put a snippit in a trailer) or at least attractive designs of say Ikki Tousen or the style of Samurai Girls. Just looks like low trash and that's what I'm gonna call it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
I've been a little curious about this title since it showed up on JManga("Idol wants to become wrestler why?"), so I'll probably check out the first episode, even if my lingering question's already been answered.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
As a general rule, there isn't much useful you can say about any show based on PVs, but coming into a thread and stomping around about how much you think it will suck is easily the least useful thing you can do.

It is no more or less useful than coming into the thread and (dancing?) around about how much you think it will be great. Which people do all the bloody time. Some people look at the preview and have a positive reaction. Some have a negative reaction. All are equally valid. I know that the latter causes people like you and Blood great emotional pain but you need to get over it and stop trying to contrive a way to make those people with negative opinions somehow more unreasonable.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Everyone knew Free! was gonna be awesomeshit since the first commercial aired (you know, the one all the forum overlords knew was not meant to be ever made into an anime) Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have never seen a poster claim that a series was going to be great based on nothing more than a brief PV. I have seen posters say stuff like "I'm looking forward to this" but that's not the same as saying, "obviously based on nothing but this brief PV this show must be great." Feel free to point out an example like this if you can.

Obviously. Because nobody talks like that. But yeah. People constantly say things to the effect of "this looks great" based on a preview.

Quote:
However, I have seen lots of flip-side comments where people like yourself - who simply don't like any fanservice at all - will assume a show must be "horrible" based on nothing more than a brief PV.

No. You haven't. Not in this thread anyway. Your initial freakout was, as you might recall, in response to a post claiming this "looks like crap". Same as the positives above.

And really, even if someone comes it and says "This will be terrible"...who the heck cares? I've certainly seen people state "This show will be awesome" on many occasions. Honestly, it is just not that big of a deal. Yeah, if you want to get technical, we obviously can't say for certain that it will be great. But it's an offhand comment based on a preview. It should be obvious that it isn't definitive. I see absolutely no need to come flying in and jump down people's throats for not making this explicitly clear. To do so just belies a really sad insecurity about the things you like.

Quote:
people like yourself - who simply don't like any fanservice at all...

Yeah, you know, you keep saying this but it actually isn't true at all. I've never really had an issue with fanservice as a concept. I think if it isn't executed in a dumb or distracting way it can be a fine addition to a show. And in fact, I even think there is a place for the sillier kind of fanservice. There's nothing inherently wrong with a schlocky, fanservice show. I moderately enjoyed Tenjho Tenge (and what issues I have with it have little to do with fanservice). I've also watched Ikki Tousen and while I hated it, the fact that I watched it should tell you that my objection was one of execution rather than of fundamental premise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7