• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's Ad Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
And really, even if someone comes it and says "This will be terrible"...who the heck cares?

I care. Just like I'd care if someone who knows very little about anime says, "eh, anime is crap." Or anyone who puts forward a negative opinion about anything on the basis of a preconceived bias as opposed to actual knowledge.

But yes, great and O wise, ikc, I will follow your wonderful example and greet every statement I read on ANN with regal and Olympian indifference, never, ever expressing any sort of irritation. Thank you for this magnificent model of behaviour you give to us all.

Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But yes, great and O wise, ikc, I will follow your wonderful example and greet every statement I read on ANN with regal and Olympian indifference, never, ever expressing any sort of irritation.

Well lord knows you could afford to chill the hell out. Disagreements on the internet tend to escalate into bickering and insults. But I've never met anyone on ANN who so instantly flies off the handle at the slightest perceived offense.

But in any case, as I've said several times, the point at hand has less to do with getting irritated and more to do with this half baked rhetoric you keep trotting out about how nobody can comment on how this show looks based on a preview.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I never said that no one cannot comment on how this show looks based on the PV. Comment until the cows come home. But I will always be irritated if someone makes a negative judgment on an entire show based only on a brief PV. And rather than make a bitchy little passive-aggressive sarcastic dig like you favour when you are irritated, I'll probably just be matter-of-fact about it.

By the way, I notice you have douchily made no comment about your own past a-holish behaviour. There are posters on this board that have the moral authority to lecture others about "chilling out" but you sure aren't one of them.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
This show is probably going to be so stupid, but I'm gunna enjoy watching it and laughing at how ridiculous it might get.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But I will always be irritated if someone makes a negative judgment on an entire show based only on a brief PV.

Well look, we can agree to disagree on whether it's necessary to lose it when someone actually claims definitively that a show will be bad. But there is simply no sane reason it need "irritate" you when someone says, based on the preview, that a show looks bad. That's just crazy.

Quote:
And rather than make a bitchy little passive-aggressive sarcastic dig like you favour when you are irritated, I'll probably just be matter-of-fact about it.

Watch out guys! We've got a real badass over here! Blood ain't afraid to straight up call a dude on the internet names. Cause that's just how he rolls. Oh sorry. Am I being "passive aggressive" again? Laughing

Quote:
By the way, I notice you have douchily made no comment about your own past a-holish behaviour.

Nope and I still won't. Your past issues with me are irrelevant to the topic at hand. You'll note that post was removed by the mods at my request. Expect the same for future attempts to bait me into such a debate.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Just FTR I have. I'm Mexican, pro-wres (or Lucha Libre, as we call it) is big here, and I remember Lady Apache being one of my favorite wrestlers growing up (and Octagón and Máscara Sagrada for the men). She and her peers did nothing of the sort of moaning like she was in heat and everything about roaring, swearing and shouting battle cries. Yes, their outfits are sexy and skimpy like in this anime, but they didn't shove their boobs into the camera, they tossed their opponents all over the ring and crushed them while screaming victoriously.

Then again, pro-wres may have had a 180 degree turn in the ten years it's been since I last watched it, which would be a real shame.

I was thinking more American stuff than Mexican Luchador stuff. And Free is pretty objectifying in itself so let's not act like it's innocent here and this show is the only pandering show here. I do gotta agree there's some kinda double standard in play here. You're obviously biased towards Free which is fine but if you look at things objectively they're very similar shows in pandering to their audiences.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Of course. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was about men. What kind of dumb counter argument is that?

You're not going to tell me men have an equal history of sexual objectification and power distribution are you? Because that would be funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Ah the classic "It's a double standard because I'm ignorant of the massively different histories and current statuses of the two groups that give rise to understandably different standards".
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Of course, both are pandering and objectifying, but their approach to it is entirely different and I'm just going to quote myself on it:

Quote:
Haruka and co. do not spend every breathing moment looking and sounding like they're being sexually assaulted

Which, to me, makes a world's difference.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the American or Japanese pro-wres scene, so I suppose my expectations for a female pro-wres anime and how female pro-wrestlers should act are very different from yours. Which is just another reason as to why I'm taking this one off my radar.
Mugley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Of course. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was about men. What kind of dumb counter argument is that?

You're not going to tell me men have an equal history of sexual objectification and power distribution are you? Because that would be funny.

ikillchicken wrote:
Ah the classic "It's a double standard because I'm ignorant of the massively different histories and current statuses of the two groups that give rise to understandably different standards".

Umm.. so are you guys are actually admitting that you wouldn't be complaining if it was men being objectified? You can try to justify your double standard if you want but if you're admitting to it then it's kinda for nothing and just makes you look bad since it doesn't make you sound like your against objectification but only against objectification of a specific group and every other group is left out to dry which is kinda messed up when you're talking about equality in stuffs.

CrowLia wrote:
Of course, both are pandering and objectifying, but their approach to it is entirely different and I'm just going to quote myself on it:

Quote:
Haruka and co. do not spend every breathing moment looking and sounding like they're being sexually assaulted

Which, to me, makes a world's difference.

I'm confused how you know this show has every breathing moment of them doing that if it's not out yet? You kinda also have to look at since it's wrestling it makes sense for them to do that... you could say at least this show doesn't show them stripping down and splashing in water seductively like Free does every breathing moment if you want to be specific about the sports. Free does plenty of stuff on it's own right. I don't expect girls to like girl fanservice stuff but it's kinda unfair to act like one is okay and the other isn't. I don't care about Free's objectifying and degrading of men because it's not for me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:
...but only against objectification of a specific group and every other group is left out to dry

Er, did you see Free? Pretty sure neither the men in it or the women watching were left dry by the time it was over.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm confused how you know this show has every breathing moment of them doing that if it's not out yet? You kinda also have to look at since it's wrestling it makes sense for them to do that... you could say at least this show doesn't show them stripping down and splashing in water seductively like Free does every breathing moment if you want to be specific about the sports.

Yes, because acting shamelessly sexy (and this goes to many other male-oriented fanservice shows too) and acting like you're a victim of sexual harrassment/assault are both the same level of squicky and offensive.

Free!'s PV showed guys splashing water and taking off their clothes dramatically, which is what the fanservice of this show (and most of the show actually) amounts to. It's not a stretch to believe that most of the fanservice in Tsuyoku Naritai will be girls being bent over while panting and moaning as if they were being violated, rather than roaring or screaming out of frustration trying to set themselves free from their opponent's hold, which is what my knowledge and experience with pro-wres indicated wrestlers do in those situations.

There is no double standard, they are different kinds of fanservice, catering to different fetiches, sorry if you can't see the glaringly obvious difference and understand why someone may be okay with one of them and not the other
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
I bought Rumble Roses sight unseen. How bad can this be?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Nope and I still won't. Your past issues with me are irrelevant to the topic at hand. You'll note that post was removed by the mods at my request. Expect the same for future attempts to bait me into such a debate.

I notice your post where you accuse me of enjoying watching women suffer has also been removed. That was your attempt to demonstrate how to chill out and not go apeshit, right? Laughing Yeah, that's what so admirable about you dude - your ability to practise what you preach. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I notice your post where you accuse me of enjoying watching women suffer has also been removed. That was your attempt to demonstrate how to chill out and not go apeshit, right?

My dear Blood, I fear you have missed the point. It's no wonder you seem confused. I'm all for mocking people on the internet when the situation calls for it. By all means, should some fool start shooting his mouth off and calling you names, mock him to your heart's content. You have my blessing. (Although surely you can do better that "joyless limpdick". I mean, where's the flair?). But context man, context! Somebody is insulting you and generally being an ass? Go for it. Fire away. But someone had a different reaction to a preview of a cartoon than you? Not so much! You can understand the distinction here right? Er...maybe not. That would actually explain a lot about the way you act.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7