• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - RTOHolic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
All Tokyopop knew how to do was translate and reprint forign material.

You're making this up. You have absolutely nothing to base this on. Is that "all they did"? Technically no. They've printed original in-house novels and magazines.

I stand corrected. I apologize for jumping to conclustions about things I don't know. My knowlage of them starts with them publishing those Mixx manga reprints. Though when it comes to publishing orginal graphic novels and comics, I don't think they have a prior history of making a dent in that market. That is likley what i should have said.

I will also give Tokyopop credit for completely changing the graphic novel and manga market. I myself do not like some of the rules, or rather labels, they're insisting upon. I am just questioning if they're resculpting of the marketing terminology is historically right or if it is fair to other publishers of orginal American graphic novels. I would argue that it is not right or fair.

Quote:
Quote:
NO ONE is pointing this out!

...that's because it's a stupid argument, no offense.

Well, stupidly put forth here, I will admit to that. I was wrong in my history of Tokyopop. I attacked Tokyopop's publishing history without having checked facts. I still assert that Tokyopop is similarly ignoring the history of graphic novels and comics in this country and trying to get the public to do the same so that the market can favor them. Such ignorance is wrong. Yet, I must now admit I myself just did a similar thing with their publishing history.

Quote:
Quote:
They don't want people to realize that they're relatively unprepared for such a venture.

Shortly before they launched this whole thing they hired a bunch of people from the comics industry to oversee the operation. They hired people who knew what they were doing. Any company not run by a complete moron does this when they're venturing in to new territory.

Yeah, I really stand corrected on this. I should have added a crapload more 'maybe's into my comments. Though I don't know who they hired or how good they are. I will say many of their talent is good. I was mainly thinking thata number of their 'Rising Stars' would have otherwise started at much smaller publishers to test and refine their skills. (Perhaps that's jsut jealousy on my part though. Heh.)

As someone pointed out, tons of people in the American comics industry have no clue what they're doing. It shouldn't be a surprise that the industiry is somewhat dying. Of course, if Tokyopop is inventing a new industry of manga instead of considering itself part of this established industry is basically nailing the coffin shut.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm just pointing out what's really going on here behind the buzz words.

No, you're presenting your opinion as fact. Tokyopop wants everyone to call it "global manga" because they have a trademark on the phrase. They also want to blur the lines between American and Japanese manga to discourage the prejudice American fans have against manga created in the States. It'll help sales tremendously. They don't want people to see any sort of qualitative difference between "Peach Fuzz" and "Fruits Basket" aside from the storyline, characters etc.

I don't know why they're blurring the lines. Sadly many American comics fans are still opposed to manga. Then again, I agree with Gatsu, I'll be the first to admit too many American comics fans are too addicted to superhero books from the big two US comics publishers.

Yet you have companies that aren't like that at all. There is stuff from Vertigo and Wildstorm and Dark Horse and Oni and some Image books that I think are also bluring the lines between US comics and manga by expanding the genres of US comics. Yet they're not pretending to be Japanese just to jump on a buzzword bandwagon. Sadly no one is reconizing this as people are paying attention more to either superhero comics or anything labeled manga.

In a way, you have a revese effect of what you say Tokyopop is trying to do to avoid this prejudice American comics fans have against 'manga'. If anything, I'd say they're using the term manga to avoid the prejudice American fans have against comics. Manga is outselling comics at insane levels. I don't think there's a prejudice against manga. If anything there's a prejudice for manga and Tokyopop is using that to sell American graphic novels under the manga label.

Quote:
You're very opinionated and that's fine but you persist in presenting your opinion - most of which, I hate to say, is very much wrong - as fact, telling us all to "wake up", and you're the "only person pointing it out". Except, as evidenced by this post, you don't really know what you're talking about.

I wouldn't be nearly as hard on you if you would just put "I think" in front of some of these sentences and show us that you are aware what you're presenting is pure speculation.

True, I have been rather matter-of-fact instead of first admiting this is how I'm seeing things from my viewpoint. I apologize for letting my rant get ahead of me. You've certainly helped me edit myself. HopefullY I have corrected my mistakes.

Also, I should point out that my anger and disapointment toward Tokyopop shouldn't reflect my opinions of what they publish. I love many of their books, Japanese and American. I just wish they would be more honest about what they're selling and give American comics and their history and publishers more credit. I just feel Tokyopop is being selfish in their stardom.
rabble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is one thing to be upset about a poorly handled product or to disagree with someone's idea; it is another thing to say that the person responsible for the product, or who stated the idea, is a corporate beast with a negative brain cell count and illicit familial relations. So think about that next time you feel like spewing a round of Internet bile. Would you dare say it to someone's face?

So you've forgotten about ADV Manga? I'll say it to their face 24/7/365, and I'll make rude comments about their mama.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
rabble wrote:
Quote:
It is one thing to be upset about a poorly handled product or to disagree with someone's idea; it is another thing to say that the person responsible for the product, or who stated the idea, is a corporate beast with a negative brain cell count and illicit familial relations. So think about that next time you feel like spewing a round of Internet bile. Would you dare say it to someone's face?

So you've forgotten about ADV Manga? I'll say it to their face 24/7/365, and I'll make rude comments about their mama.

You honestly think being a dick is going to make ADV get back on track?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
You shouldn't be rude. You just have to say they're a corporate beast with a negative brain cell count and illicit familial relations in a very polite and formal way.

Though, seriously, ADV or Tokyopop or any company is being unfair and playing games, then as fans and consumers and customers, people damn well better speak up.

I think the reason I get so hostile about the Tokyopop hijacking of the term manga is that they really are hurting an industry I love with their power instead of being fair and helping it. I see them as a major hostile force to an industry I love and would some day like to somewhat work in. They of course think they're revolutionizing the industry, I feel they are moreso deforming it to suit themselves.
rabble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

You honestly think being a dick is going to make ADV get back on track?

Hell no. But it certainly makes me feel better to let them know that I think they're a bunch of @$$0s.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
rabble wrote:

Hell no. But it certainly makes me feel better to let them know that I think they're a bunch of @$$0s.

"I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT JAPANESE COMICS THAT I HAVE TO ACT LIKE A CHILD ABOUT IT RRAARRRGGHHH!"
DaZ616

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote
i bought XXXHOLiC v7 today.

I hope when i read it,

i'll find it better than the given rating. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote
The simple solution to telling a company that one is not happy with their product is to not purchase it. That alone speaks volumes louder that any angst vitriol. If one keeps saying "I hate what your doing but I'm still buying it" That company will still say "thanks for your support".
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The simple solution to telling a company that one is not happy with their product is to not purchase it.

The problem is, if there's no voice behind it, then all it does is tell companies that something doesn't sell, not why it didn't sell. The Internet has lost it's ability to address problems in a coherant or respectible way so what's why ANime companies are less inclined to listen to complaints Via the Internet, because as far as they could be concerned, it's a problem with only a minor few.

Voting with your dollarsis like having a poll saying "will you buy One Piece?" and not stating whether it's dub or sub only, an outrageous price, three episodes every six months, or whatever else.

Subsequently, if you don't buy it, and you're the intended audience, then they're going to conclude that the market isn't either there or ready and won't continue and then everyone loses.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:11 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The simple solution to telling a company that one is not happy with their product is to not purchase it.

The problem is, if there's no voice behind it, then all it does is tell companies that something doesn't sell, not why it didn't sell.
Irrevant. It still gets their attention quickest and if they are a company who cares about it's customers this information can be researched afterwards.

Quote:
Voting with your dollarsis like having a poll saying "will you buy One Piece?" and not stating whether it's dub or sub only, an outrageous price, three episodes every six months, or whatever else.

Subsequently, if you don't buy it, and you're the intended audience, then they're going to conclude that the market isn't either there or ready and won't continue and then everyone loses.
Who would miss a bad product if a company stopped making it? How many in America miss the Edsel? Or the Sinclare C5 in the UK? I'm not saying that one shouldn't express their reasons why they don't like a product but if the money keeps coming in for that product the company won't care as much as if the product sits on the shelf because no one buys it. It works, just ask General Motors. and Ford. Again it's their job to sell you something, but it's not your job to buy it. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote
Something like say, Zatch Bell, won't get an uncut release unless somehow, the edited release does well. In which case, there are two products that have different target audiences and demographics but however, the latter one relies on the former. Uncut One Piece depended on flawed Shaman King and Yugioh discs that sold poorly. It's not always as clear-cut as you might think it is.

Anime isn't a mass-produced industry like cars and motors, it's entertainment, and plenty of things can be contributed to the eventual success or downfall of it. It's also mostly a niche in the entertainment industry, with niches inside of it. A motor popular enough, I'd assume, wouldn't have issues swept under the rug simply as 'internet fans pissing and moaning', because any issue preventing sale would be met with vocal agreement/disagreement on several fronts. Anime fans on the other hand have conventions and the Internet, the first one being basically ineffective because people don't have confidence, the second being nearly completely ignored.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2