• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Manga Demand Growing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
Now all i need is for UK shops to start shipping for the rest of EU for cheap (otaku.co.uk is wayyy to expensive, and archonia.com (belgium) charges handsomly in S&H).

Does anyone know of good UK stores btw (US is too expensive)?
Try UP1, and Anime-on-Line is MVM's shop that will ship to the EU. Prices are listed on both sites.
Hope you find these useful. Wink
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
Gawyn wrote:
It's not particularly surprising that the manga market has shot up somewhat last year given that that was the first year in which the UK saw its first domestic manga publishing. Tokyopop worked hard with one of the largest bookstore chains in the UK, Waterstones and got an agreement from them to have manga selling from every one of its store across the UK. Other stores have also been trialling the manga market and many now seem to have a similar policy of stocking manga.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'll support UK manga releases in the form of the TokyoPop releases [I'd rather burn in Hades than support Viz's UK releases considering the way they treat us Brits and I'll get their US ones instead] but I'm truly concerned about the UK anime DVD market more than anything.

What Viz UK releases? There is no Viz UK. They sublicence their product to UK companies (MVM and Manga Entertainment have both licenced anime from them and Gollancz publishing have made a deal to publish many Viz manga titles). Manga Ent's Naruto box is an absolute bargain at £25RRP for the first 13 episodes.

You hugely overestimate the UK anime market. It is not even close to the size of that in the US and the strength of GBP to the USD is a massive factor as to why imports are so much cheaper.

When I was referring to Viz's UK releases, I was referring to the manga releases by Gollancz!

In any case, I'm still angry at seeing how they don't seem to take the UK market seriously enough whereas TokyoPop do...

On another note, does anyone think that us Brits were the only ones who got the idea about Raijin Comics being released as a weekly because we've been used to them for years...
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

On another note, I'd rather have the chance to buy from ADV's US store because of the wider choice of anime not available over here [St Seiya and Borgman anybody?] plus they have some kickass sales that the UK store don't even have...

Then you want to try DVDpacific.com, or Amazon.co.uk mate and you'll get a better price and all.

Quote:
*Still wonders why Funi's online store won't ship to the UK when they'll ship to practically everywhere else in the world... And before the Funi-fanboys get on their drokkin high horses and flame me, I have nothing against the company, I just don't like the fact that they won't ship to the UK unless I get a friend in the US to buy the stuff for me and I pay him for the items plus P+P]
MVM is FUNi's sales rep for the UK is why mate. You have got to remember that the UK market will never be as big as the US even if every person on this island became anime and manga fans. Also just because a title is licensed and available in the US doesn't automatically mean it will be available in the UK. We are a completely seperate market which needs a seperate license applied for. Simple geography should tell you why. It's very expensive to acquire a license for just one market let alone two so it should be a no brainer as to why some titles get licensed here and some do not. Sure it's not like in the US but compared to what it was like just 6 years ago, we are swimming in it and the tide keeps coming in.

Yes I know that MVM is Funi's agent in the UK but I'm still puzzled as to why their online store will ship to practically everywhere else in the world but not the UK and also the fact that Australia and the UK share the same TV system [PAL], wouldn't it be easier to do what Manga is doing and basing the PAL releases on the Australian releases but just change the region code to the proper one.

I'm just finding it hypocritical that Funi's Australian division or whoever releases their stuff over there will release the limited edition stuff over there but they won't over here.

And I know I can get anime cheaper elsewhere but I'd like to be able to buy the DVD's that go for really cheap prices when companies like ADV and Animeigo have their occasional sales like DVD's for $4.99 for example.

I'm not trying to be a bad guy here, I'm just trying to state the fact that we always get treated as second rate just because the country's smaller than Australia amongst other things...

And if you want hypocrisy, I saw a Australian FMA poster from Funi at the MVM stand at the London MCM Expo a few weeks ago which was advertising the limited edition version of Volume 1 which comes with the storage tin and soundtrack CD!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
I'm just finding it hypocritical that Funi's Australian division or whoever releases their stuff over there will release the limited edition stuff over there but they won't over here.

Because MVM are a relativley small company working in a different, smaller market and have had quite a few setbacks (such as fire). Madman, the company that does FUNimation's Aus/r4 encoding and releases is a very large company that has been recently bought out and as such as a lot more money than MVM to kick about.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
"Steventheeunuch

My! You do get around, don't you? Wink
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
"Steventheeunuch

*Agrees with Mohawk52 about steventheeunuch getting around quite a bit...*

On another note, why would Funi and ADV even bother having their stuff distributed through a company like MVM [even though ADV have a UK division] in the UK when Tokyopop can setup a UK division and make shedloads of money from their sales over here.

All I want is for other anime and manga companies to take the UK market seriously especially where anime is concerned because I definitely can't see the point in paying £20.00 for a DVD when I can just import it from the States.

And yes, I know all about the current situation involving the £ and the $ and how it's much better importing anime from the US than buying it over here.

*Still dreams of the day when the UK will have conventions equal to the likes of AnimeExpo and Acen...*
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

On another note, why would Funi and ADV even bother having their stuff distributed through a company like MVM [even though ADV have a UK division] in the UK when Tokyopop can setup a UK division and make shedloads of money from their sales over here.
That's easy. Not much to pack up and move back if it all goes tits up. ADV has had an office in Wales since the early days when even Pioneer (remember them?) was selling anime here. Viz and FUNi have never been here but MVM was keeping the candle burning in the UK's light house so they could see us on the other side of the pond letting them know that there was a port for them to enter.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

That's easy. Not much to pack up and move back if it all goes tits up. ADV has had an office in Wales since the early days when even Pioneer (remember them?) was selling anime here. Viz and FUNi have never been here but MVM was keeping the candle burning in the UK's light house so they could see us on the other side of the pond letting them know that there was a port for them to enter.

I don't think things will go tits-up [so to speak] anytime soon as far as anime and manga is concerned over here but I'm still surprised at the fact that a company like Tokyopop thinks that the UK has such potential as a market that they were willing to take a risk and not only set up a UK office but also distribute their own stuff themselves and also price a lot of their import manga from the States in £ as well as in both Canadian and US $ and as we've seen, it's paid off handsomely for Tokyopop because when it's the one name you associate with manga over here whereas Viz will always have a uphill struggle.

Look at it this way, I don't think we'll be seeing a British version of Shonen Jump anytime soon unlike certain European countries which have their own versions...

And I admit it would be nice to be able to subscribe to the American version of Shonen Jump because of all the exclusive goodies available to members...

I'm not a rabid hater of Viz overall, I just don't like the way that they've only now decided that we're worthy of receiving official releases of their manga in the UK because they've seen how much money Tokyopop is raking in from their sales... [You should see my local Waterstones in Liverpool, they have a carousel from Tokyopop with manga from them as well as Viz's releases] while Worlds Apart has a HUGE section dedicated to anime and manga plus they also sell magazines from Japan and various merchandise.

On another note, a good place to buy merchandise at reasonable prices if you live in the UK is http://www.tokyotoys.com/ as the staff there are really friendly [plus they have some really cute female assistants who do amazing cosplay at various events like London MCM Expo! Very Happy]

In the meanwhile, I have a funny feeling that companies like Funi and Viz will set up proper offices when things get better although I'm still worried about the cost of anime and how the releases here aren't as good as the R1 versions.
Gawyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Yes I know that MVM is Funi's agent in the UK but I'm still puzzled as to why their online store will ship to practically everywhere else in the world but not the UK and also the fact that Australia and the UK share the same TV system [PAL], wouldn't it be easier to do what Manga is doing and basing the PAL releases on the Australian releases but just change the region code to the proper one.

That is precisely what MVM do and have done for a long time. MVM and Madman have shared the production costs for the authoring of DVD masters for many years, before Manga started doing so to my knowledge. This may change now that Madman have been acquired or it may not but the fact remains that they have been close partners in the past and could very well remain so in the future. If you care to notice a good many of MVM's releases are in fact dual R2 and 4 releases largely for this reason. Since you don't buy many MVM DVDs you won't have noticed the Madman credits at the end of most of their DVDs.

As for Gollancz manga I feel that they have done a reasonably good job for a company that has never released any manga before. I saw their books hit the shelves in WHSmiths long before any Tokyopop graced their shelves and their pricing is much better than other manga titles, at an average of £4.99 compared to an average of £6.99 for most of Tokyopop's UK releases. They are new to the business and have a lot to learn but I appreciate what they have done so far.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:39 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Armagguedes wrote:
Now all i need is for UK shops to start shipping for the rest of EU for cheap (otaku.co.uk is wayyy to expensive, and archonia.com (belgium) charges handsomly in S&H).

Try UP1, and Anime-on-Line is MVM's shop that will ship to the EU. Prices are listed on both sites.

Thank you!
=)
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
I heard the UK anime and manga market is relatively small compared to France.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
I heard the UK anime and manga market is relatively small compared to France.
This is true. The French have been consumers of anime and manga for much longer than the UK and so have a larger fan base. Historically they also have a different attitude toward animation not limiting it to just childrens genre.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Armagguedes wrote:

Thank you!
=)
I forgot to mention Play.com They're a bit closer to you on the island of Jersey.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Well, I'm not in Ireland, but after seeing a short film done by a fellow ANN poster and good friend (Cloe), I just changed my location and Avatar to suit it because it was a positivley beautiful piece of art.

BorgmanJayce wrote:

*Agrees with Mohawk52 about steventheeunuch getting around quite a bit...*

Give up trying to be funny if all you can resort to is *well Steven so and so*. Say things to me, don't try and cower away by hiding what you say as an action.

Quote:

Well, ADV have a UK Branch, and FUNimation doesn't want to set up one as it'd be easier and cheaper, in the long run, to establish a relationship with an already existing company. FUNimation aren't able to deal with the British Board of Classification either or just don't want to bother. It also helps to build the Anime industry if you provide it with new blood.

You'd also find MVM have a close relationship with Madman Ent., who provide them with appropriate PAL converted masters.

I dont know if Tokyopop have an ANime division over ther,e but books, comics and manga are subject to different systems of classification and what not.

Quote:
All I want is for other anime and manga companies to take the UK market seriously especially where anime is concerned because I definitely can't see the point in paying £20.00 for a DVD when I can just import it from the States.

Yeah, but as it's been said it's a completely different market. If no one buys the discs, all it'll do is send the message that no one wants to buy UK Anime, and thus there is no market for it. It's sad but ultimatly the reality of the situation. If your local market cannot survive in the face of obscure, internet importation then it wasn't going to survive in the first place.

edit: subsequently, borgmanjayce, please stop trying to vilify me in public because it won't work. Please feel free to take it out on me in PM and we can try to resolve whatever issues you have. I understand you and many others don't like me, but don't think that somehow by insulting me I'm either going to go away or you're going to be more popular.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Well, I'm not in Ireland, but after seeing a short film done by a fellow ANN poster and good friend (Cloe), I just changed my location and Avatar to suit it because it was a positivley beautiful piece of art.

Embarassed You exaggerate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2