• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Quantum Leap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Along those same lines, I'm under the impression both Eastern Star/Discotek and CPM did their own remasters (the former mentioned they were going off the laserdisc and the latter had a featurette about how they did their own on the DVD). I don't suppose anyone's compared the two?

It's good to know the behind-the-scenes video and commentary track are all there, though, it's great new buyers won't be missing out on those.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space: Amazing how misleading the title is huh?

I'm 100% sure they chose that title on purpose.

Quote:
Regardless, from what you told me, it sounds as stupid as Fractale

It is a bit better than Fractale, because Leopard and Imo-chan are actually funny. The rest is very average though, which is too bad. Studio Sunrise's newest take on funny-serious SciFi (Tiger & Bunny) seems to turn out much better. ^^
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
Steins;Gate doesn't seem very otaku-ish to me. Sure there's a maid cafe, but atm it doesn't seem to be a major part of the show. I'm no sci-fi fan, but Steins;Gate is one of the three shows I actually really look forward to watching each week. Okabe probably would be super annoying in real life, but in the anime, I find him hilarious =D

Wow, Akiko has 23 light novels?! I wouldn't even be able to list that many titles available in english...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Quote:
The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade.

Now I'm curious. What on Earth is that?

Oddly enough, more or less just what it says on the tin, although what it says on the tin is often shortened to read Marat/Sade, which is more convenient, but less fun. It was originally a German play by Peter Weiss about the Marquis de Sade presenting a play about the murder of Jean-Paul Marat by Charlotte Corday to a aristocratic audience. Of course, being as it is the Marquis de Sade directing a cast of mentally ill actors, the play hardly presents the story in a straightforward manner and the performance does not go quite smoothly. It is also, oddly enough, sort of a musical. I qualify that, because it doesn't use music conventionally; in fact sometimes its more of an interruption. The version that I am familiar with is a film adaptation made in 1967 with a cast drawn from the Royal Shakespeare Company. It's an excellent film that I really should watch again one of these days. (Don't just take my word for it, you can take Roger Ebert's too)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
masat01

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Ah man, you'll be super disappointed if you skip on Steins;Gate. It gets so much better once Hououin figures out some stuff. The visual novel was great, one of my top ten. It doesn't stay boring.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
I only rented the first part of Project- AKO at Blockbuster when I went to rent the second part the vhs had been destroyed so I could not see the last part I didn't know it was shown on the SCI-FI channel I missed it Iwould like to see the last part to know how it ends it was a wild anime.
Astribulus

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Steins;Gate looks like it takes itself too seriously and you'd have to be a physics major to appreciate it, but I can't be sure 'till I try a few eps.

Heh, if there's one thing Steins;Gate doesn't do, it's take itself seriously. Our protagonist is a self-proclaimed "insane mad scientist" who believes Dr. Pepper is the drink of the chosen. His antics alone would make this show worth watching, but the supporting cast are all pretty great too.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Steins;Gate looks like it takes itself too seriously and you'd have to be a physics major to appreciate it, but I can't be sure 'till I try a few eps.

Oh god no, you've got nothing to worry about on either of those fronts; well the show is just starting to turn toward the more serious side of things, but it's obviously aware that it's premise is absurd from the first several episodes.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Wait, what? Fractale is a really smart show!

If Fractale started out smart, somewhere along the way it gets lobotomized. By far the most disappointing show of last season relative to the hype (mostly the director's own hype).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
And oh, ya forgot to mention that A-ko is the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman. Ah, Cream Lemon, you read like a fanfic. Laughing

Is that a spoiler? I didn't mention it in case it's a spoiler. I do like that the commentary says they just threw that detail in towards the end.

It's a "spoiler" if you care about the "plot". First time watching A-Ko it appears ambiguous who the "princess" is until the reveal. The alien spy is often capturing footage of the "Princess" when A-Ko & C-Ko are together, so until the spy grabs the princess, who would you think the alien princess is? The unremarkable (outside of being REALLY annoying) girl or the girl with unusual (unexplained until the end) super powers? But yeah, it's a fun movie totally on it's own merits, but I think you need to be an unabashed anime fan or at LEAST an unabashed animation fan to really enjoy it. It's totally lacking in "depth" or "story" or anything more than "fun".

Also, you've REALLY got me wanting to go watch my DVD for the extras now. I don't usually watch commentary tracks but now I REALLY WANT TO. Also, the best release was the CPM release than included the soundtrack in the DVD double pack. I had already long owned the soundtrack, but bought that anyway.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Along those same lines, I'm under the impression both Eastern Star/Discotek and CPM did their own remasters (the former mentioned they were going off the laserdisc and the latter had a featurette about how they did their own on the DVD). I don't suppose anyone's compared the two?

I've only seen screenshots, but I know the guy who worked on the new A-ko remaster, and this was basically a months-long frame-by-frame painstaking labor of love for him.

From what I can tell it's a pretty big difference. Not just because of that, but because CPM hired a post-production house to do their restoration back when the technology wasn't so great. High-action shots got pretty mangled if you look at it frame-by-frame, the sharpness isn't what it could be, and it's still interlaced video. The new one should be perfectly 24p.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah A-ko such memories. They remastered it for a re-release? Awesome. Takes me back to my HS days when anime was a niche cool thing and you traded tapes to just to snag a copy from your friend or someone. I'd heard that story from a friend about A-ko having ties with Cream Lemon (now there's a series that someone needs to pick up). Of course during that time with no internet you wondered how people acquired this info. It was usually word of mouth from someone who knew someone with close ties to someone who got the info from someone who could understand a bit of Japanese. I knew some friends like that. Now you find out years later it's true. Well, I have to admit for a budget like that they really went all out. Despite it's age, the animation work is incredible. Straight hand-drawn 2D animation. No computer assisted or CGI.

I long picked up a copy before CPM demise. The only thing I have from those days is a production booklet that shows animation panels, (storyboarding) and models. Supposedly there were 2 that were ever produced. Meaning a v1 and a v2. Of the 80's anime films that first moved me further into the fandom were Prefectural Earth Defense Force, Fight! Iczer-1, and A-ko. May have to give this one another spin along with the rest of the series. Oh the madness they created, but nothing could top the first A-ko movie.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see others sticking up for Steins;Gate since it seems to have gotten a rather lukewarm response from most anime reviewers. It's come to be one of my personal favorites this season, although I myself went into the first episode with some doubts. Namely, I thought it was going to be way too serious and bizarre to catch my interest; instead, it's relatively lighthearted, and while it is bizarre in its own right it's also appropriately suspenseful and takes its own plot in stride. I like the pacing (it's pretty easygoing, almost languid) and the dialogue (the inevitable sci-fi exposition is always appropriately timed so it doesn't feel forced), and while the characters are a bit archetypal, they're never boring or passive; they're goofy without being cartoon-ish, which is a difficult quality to execute in animation, and they're always doing something which moves the plot forward (or backwards? It's hard to tell at times). In more ways than one, it reminds me of Doctor Who (a series I love dearly); the sci-fi elements are there, the whacky character quirks are there, the time travel is there, some of the darker elements of the storytelling are there. In essence, it's everything I didn't expect Steins;Gate to be and I'm loving it.

As a relatively young anime viewer, I've never even heard of Project A-ko, but my interest has certainly been peaked. I'm going to try and find this one ASAP. Hopefully I'll like it as much as everyone else seems to. :3
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
But never mind that, look at their huge hair !
What goes around, comes around, at least here in Blighty. Our Duchess of Cambridge has seen to that. Wink
I forgot all about Project A-KO. Thankfully it's still available at Amazon.co.uk and it's confirmed awaiting dispatch. Nice one. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue May 24, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I have the US Manga complete A-Ko collection-the "remastered" video is good enough so that I'm not going to replace it with the new release. I 1st watched Project A-Ko 6 years and enjoyed it for what is is-a parody with every anime cliche thrown in along with the kitchen sink for good measure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4