• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Quantum Leap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
As someone keen to replace his old Animazing release of Project A-Ko, news of the R1 master is received with much enthusiasm. An imported copy shall be ordered soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Anybody have an AoD-like specs review of the new A-ko yet? Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Judging from what everyone is saying about Steins;Gate, did I misread the column or something? Erin's use of the word otaku had me thinking something entirely different considering she was describing some pretty typical stereotypes of nerd culture. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. It wasn't my intention to harp on the show. What exactly does the show entail, thematically?

As for Fractale, I honestly just can't put the first episode into words very well. I wasn't entirely sure what they were trying to say. I admit, I might need some more initiation to develop a more insightful opinion, but the first episode just left me dumbfounded. I'm going to add the second and third episode to my watch list and try to formulate a better opinion than simply calling it stupid, but please ease up guys.
Astribulus

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Judging from what everyone is saying about Steins;Gate, did I misread the column or something? Erin's use of the word otaku had me thinking something entirely different considering she was describing some pretty typical stereotypes of nerd culture. My apologies for jumping to conclusions. It wasn't my intention to harp on the show. What exactly does the show entail, thematically?

Without too many spoilers, the basic premise is that the Future Gadget Laboratory (in other words, Okabe's apartment upstairs from an old VCR repair shop) accidentally created a time machine that sends text messages back in time based on how much time you set the microwave attached to the phone. They have no idea how it works, really, and are mostly just poking around trying to figure it out while changing the past from time to time. Despite Okabe's paranoia about "The Organization," more and more people keep finding out about their discovery and get roped into becoming lab members. There's also some sort of actual conspiracy going on which somehow includes John Titor, SERN, and a rival time travel project.

As for the Otaku comment, that stereotype mostly fits Daru, the lab's resident "Super Hacker." Well, fit isn't a strong enough word. He embraces the fat, perverted nerd stereotype. There's also Mayuri's day job at a cosplay cafe, but that really hasn't gotten much screen time. Don't let the otaku comment scare you away. Despite the Akihabara setting, I don't feel the show has been pandering to that demographic. It just focuses on the everyday life of some very weird people who happen to have discovered a time machine.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Huh...

Good luck with that!

That site is WAY behind on reviews... I just don't think Beveridge cares anymore.

He set the technical specs for reviews WAY too high -- and that was when everything was still DVD-only!

He wants every reviewer to have 5.1-7.1 audio set-up, HDTV, and so on... He's forgetting the majority that watches anime -- high school and college kids with no money! Most adults get by fine with stereo TV sets. The people that care about a lot of that stuff are poseurs to begin with!

They were never able to get many reviewers for that site and most have moved on to other things...

Wish I could be positive but it's hard to be when the person who's supposed to be promoting something is working AGAINST it directly because of bullheadedness. The guy never listened to anyone who tried to explain reality to him.

For all the grief we give Erin sometimes, at least she admits to some technical shortcomings (no HD, fine, I don't have an HD set, either!) AND gets reviews done! It's okay to be poor. Most of us ARE tight with money! I'd rather have a reviewer who cops to something like that than read the latest pronouncements by the gatekeeper (aka C.B.) who brags about his latest HD receiver or the newest toy he bought. Somebody inclined to announce his toys to the whole neighborhood and go on about the latest-generation TV sets his family owns --- I dunno... I always thought those guys had issues! (And their kids tend to be the biggest, tools, too.) Erin actually WATCHES the anime even if half the time she drives people up the wall with the reviews.

For all the talk about "needing" an HD set to see the improvements in BD video over DVD, I've gotta say that I have yet to see a BD on a regular SD TV set that DOESN'T look better than most DVDs! Even in "SD mode", the BD's are operating at better than what a DVD can with less video noise/compression. So, even without HD, it can still be a better deal to get a TV series or movie on BD.

Nobody's TV set is going to last forever and the prices are falling on models all the time. (Best time to get a new TV set --- the following year between January and March. Look for the deals -- you can get some really nice-sized 37"-42" with good features.)

It definitely should NOT be mandatory for a reviewer to watch on an HD set WITH a 5.1 speaker set-up to comment on content, for sure.

Heck, half the anime being released on BD is STILL an upscan from standard-def materials. The only anime you can be sure is NOT an upscan are generally the theatrical releases. They still have 35mm film for the older features and the newer films I would think would generally follow the same standards American cinema uses, too, for HD. It's the TV shows you can't be 100% certain were HD-native to begin with!

Try explaining that to AOD... Nobody ever got through that guy's thick skull!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Huh...

Good luck with that!

That site is WAY behind on reviews... I just don't think Beveridge cares anymore.

Beveridge is not there anymore. Laughing

But yes, it was already falling behind even way before he left, probably because he was devoting more and more of his time to his own site.

GeorgeC wrote:

He set the technical specs for reviews WAY too high -- and that was when everything was still DVD-only!

Oh, believe me, I know. I was already there in places where he was recruiting when he was just starting AoD, back when DVD players were helluva expensive and large-screen jumbo TVs (there were no flat-screens yet) hard to come by. So all that quality was lost on me. Laughing

GeorgeC wrote:

He wants every reviewer to have 5.1-7.1 audio set-up, HDTV, and so on... He's forgetting the majority that watches anime -- high school and college kids with no money! Most adults get by fine with stereo TV sets. The people that care about a lot of that stuff are poseurs to begin with!

Heh, I had a rather (in)famous ML post wherein I advocated that you're no less a fan --heck, maybe even more of a fan!-- if you had to watch anime even on a 5" B&W portable TV that I sometimes had to do back then. Laughing

GeorgeC wrote:

Wish I could be positive but it's hard to be when the person who's supposed to be promoting something is working AGAINST it directly because of bullheadedness. The guy never listened to anyone who tried to explain reality to him.

I never really had a problem with Beveridge. Maybe because we already encountered each other even before he started AoD and rose to stardom. Well......... except maybe for being a "turncoat." Laughing

Y'see, he used to be an ardent sub-elitist, and that's how we encountered each other before AoD with our relatively friendly sparrings. Then, years later, he turned coat, and it was like losing an old sparring partner, like all those fun eloquent jabs wasted. Don't even ask my sub-elitist friends who consider him a traitor to their cause! Laughing

GeorgeC wrote:

For all the grief we give Erin sometimes, at least she admits to some technical shortcomings (no HD, fine, I don't have an HD set, either!) AND gets reviews done! It's okay to be poor. Most of us ARE tight with money! I'd rather have a reviewer who cops to something like that than read the latest pronouncements by the gatekeeper (aka C.B.) who brags about his latest HD receiver or the newest toy he bought. Somebody inclined to announce his toys to the whole neighborhood and go on about the latest-generation TV sets his family owns --- I dunno... I always thought those guys had issues! (And their kids tend to be the biggest, tools, too.) Erin actually WATCHES the anime even if half the time she drives people up the wall with the reviews.

Eh, Erin's reviews are nothing. By that, I mean, I used to encounter reviews all the time that really drive people up the wall. Oh, the fun times arguing and pointing out inconsistencies! Laughing

GeorgeC wrote:

Nobody's TV set is going to last forever and the prices are falling on models all the time. (Best time to get a new TV set --- the following year between January and March. Look for the deals -- you can get some really nice-sized 37"-42" with good features.)

Nah, I'm good. My computer set is already 32", more than big enough. My TV is actually smaller, 23" right next to it. Don't really need it that good (that's for the living room for everyone); quite picky where I spend my money like you. Thanks for the advice nonetheless. Laughing

GeorgeC wrote:

Try explaining that to AOD... Nobody ever got through that guy's thick skull!

Nobody's there anymore, except some forum posters.

Which brings me back to my original question - any AoD-like specs review of the new A-ko yet? Just want to know if there's any technical issues. Smile
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah-AOD was one of the good review sites-now it's like a ghost town. I'm still trying to find another site with good current reviews. The forums are basically "we're gonna turn the lights off and lock the door now cause' everyone's gone".
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Which brings me back to my original question - any AoD-like specs review of the new A-ko yet? Just want to know if there's any technical issues. Smile

Chris has reviewed Project A-Ko on his new site.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Chris has reviewed Project A-Ko on his new site.

Thanks.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
"A bunch of weird people who discover a time machine and try to figure it out?" That's not how Erin described it at all! (No offense, Erin). If the show knows that the concept is ridiculous, that helps the suspension of disbelief sometimes...there's way too much sci-fi and fantasy (and comic books which don't exactly fit either criteria-I'm looking at you, most incarnations of Batman) out there that take themselves way too seriously.

I want to read/watch a story, not a textbook.

The main character thinks Dr. Pepper is the drink of the chosen? Well, he has good taste in beverages! Laughing
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
In contrast to the apparent love-fest for Project A-Ko, I just want to say I hated it Razz Apart from a high frame rate, I can think of nothing to recommend it. Flat, boring, annoying characters. Jokes that aren't funny. Ugly character designs. A nothing plot.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4