• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Kids Can't Read...Manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
uncutpokemon wrote:

pk first kahn bastard says "us kids don't read" now some japanese people say that japanese kids can't read, whats next? god i hate al kahn

THE TWO ARE OBVIOUSLY LINKED!!! CANT YOU SEE IT!? CAPITALISM ALSO 9/11!! THE GOVT. IS FUKKEN WITH USSSSS!!!

PS AL KHAN SUX CXLICK HEAR 2 VIEW MY MYSPACE PAGE!
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
This article smells like bad journalism-- or rather, not journalism. This one professor is the only source, and he never says whether the number of kids who can't read manga is increasing. The whole angle of the story is unsupported, and there are no numbers or even conclusions based on numbers in it at all. But then, if the New York Times is content running articles about trends that aren't happening I guess we can forgive ANN the occasional slip-up.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I second the whole speech balloon issue, it often takes three times longer to read a panel while I try to figure out who would be saying those words.

Also, it is humanly impossible to understand what's happening in some panels in Trigun. But that's just one manga. (I'd post an example if I had my scanner available.)

What the article fails to define is "read". I'm sure they can read the kanji....
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I second the whole speech balloon issue, it often takes three times longer to read a panel while I try to figure out who would be saying those words.

Also, it is humanly impossible to understand what's happening in some panels in Trigun. But that's just one manga. (I'd post an example if I had my scanner available.)

OH MY GOD. That's exactly the manga I was thinking of in my last post.

One of my few gripes about the Trigun manga (besides the occasionally hard to follow action) is the dialogue bubbles.

There are a few others like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
What? I thought Japanese children know how to read manga. Mangas that are in Japanese are easy for Japanese people of all ages to read. This is the strangest theory I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hanachan01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Just because some kids can't read manga doesn't mean the manga industries on the decline. More kids can read manga than can't.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ein, the wonder pup wrote:
Manga shouldn't be hard to read.
Its not a novel, its a comic book.
Plus, I remember a lot of the early TokyoPop publications
had a page that showed how to follow the word bubbles
and such...

Yeah. All the ones I read still have that. lol I think it's funny how people can be so critical of other countries, and yet, WE, here in the U.A., have one of the lowest literary rates of all. Not that I'm saying we're all stupid or book-hating retards.

My thinking is that: if you give a child something they actually WANT to read or find INTERSTING... then they'll read it happily. It was the same for me; if I read a book I don't like, I'll have trouble finishing it. If it's something I enjoy (like manga) then it's far easier for me to read it all the way through. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
My thinking is that: if you give a child something they actually WANT to read or find INTERSTING... then they'll read it happily. It was the same for me; if I read a book I don't like, I'll have trouble finishing it. If it's something I enjoy (like manga) then it's far easier for me to read it all the way through. Very Happy

Gee, something that kids enjoy! reading. What a novel (pardon the pun) idea! That may explain why J.K. Rowling is doing so well on the bestseller lists and library requests rather than Dickens and Bronte. Rolling Eyes

I HATED reading the "classics" in High School. Just hated it. I LOVE to read, don't get me wrong there. But, sometimes the "classics" are a bit hard to swallow. It's just hard to take 2 or 3 pages describing what the horse and carriage looked like or the food on the table. That and the teachers wanting you to understand the "meaning" of the food on the table or the "meaning" of the horse and carriage. Most of the time the "meaning" was that it was time to eat or that someone was going somewhere not the "waste of natural resources" or "the abuse of power."

Note: I didn't list Shakespeare in with the classics - he's meant to be SEEN not read (not that many teachers get that concept.**apologies to the teachers on this forum** and he's fairly straightforward in his plays, so when you see them, you can understand them more than if you just read them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3