• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Flash: Advent Children is Popular

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuririn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kuririn wrote:
Area88 wrote:
Considering that most people already downloaded it a year ago i'm suprised sales are even that good.

I agree. But it seems that just helped the cause.

Ugh, these are two false statements.

1. Final Fantasy has a MUCH BIGGER fanbase than just anime fans who obsessively download fansubs. The game sold millions and millions of copies and appeals to a much broader audience than just fans. Anime fans buying the DVD helped sales but are not the ones to thank for making it a success.

2. Your conclusion that anime fans stealing the movie months before it came out "helped" the sales of the DVD is self-serving unprovable nonsense. You have absolutely nothing to back that up at all.

It did here. Many fans already had a pirated version way before the movie was in the stores and those same people later on bough the official version. It got many people interested even non gamers.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I actually disagree on Square's art, while there is no denying they do model it quite effectively, they also don't have much in the way of diversity to it. They rely on too many similar elements and masterfully render subpar or uninteresting scenery. I can honestly say there wasn't a single scene in Advent Children that contained scenic art that I actually felt like applauding. I could model a brick wall with perfect detail, but in the end it's still just a brick wall.

While I understand some people are tired of "nitpickers", that road does go both ways, we're equally tired of people who don't accept or are closed minded to the faults of something just because they liked it. Even I gave credit to the movie in that I bought it for the action and nostalgia aspect, and while I don't consider it great or even that good, it does have its place and was worth the $15 it cost me. There's no disputing the visual quality of the models, as far as still frames go you could practically frame most as a work of art if the content were worthy of the praise, but the problem comes with movement and the actual animation of this art which just really leaves a lot to be desired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kuririn wrote:

It did here. Many fans already had a pirated version way before the movie was in the stores and those same people later on bough the official version. It got many people interested even non gamers.

Where is "here"? And why do you think the only people buying this DVD are "fans"?
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I bought FF7:AC the day it came out. Only thing I downloaded related to it was the Last Order OAV since I heard that we weren't getting it.

FF7:AC is, to me, the most beautiful piece of shitty writing I have ever seen. I didn't expect a whole hell of a lot of plot. I mean, really. Most of the fanbase just wanted to see fighting. And the movie succeeded on it. It gave us beautful fight scenes, using 3rd-grade storytelling to explain why they were fighting.

And am I the only one who laughed hysterically at Cait Sith's Scottish accent when he went "THAT'S ME BOY, CLOUD!" I mean, it's a nice touch from the dubbing companies, given that he's based off a celtic legend, but still. It was just this nice moment blindsided by a cat whose scottish accent I was not expecting.
Kuririn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
uppss my bad i mean here as in Puerto Rico. I think the only people who would buy this dvd here are the fans simply because outside of videogamers not many people know what FF is or they just don't care.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Another AC news story/review/thread and another million people who still can't stop complaining about the movie’s story. I was going to sit this one out, but I realized that despite how much I’m tired of hearing about this movie; it is still the most interesting subject, currently on this site. Again, I got to back up the storyline.

You can condemn Square-Enix all you want for making sure “you guys” couldn't understand the story, but I understood it just fine. For instance, people complain why they don't know why Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo are the only clones to come out of the Northern Crater, but they aren't clones, they are remnants! Some people don't seem to understand that. They are remnants of Sephiroth’s body (who died in the cave earlier), which also explains why Kadaj turned into him! This is the same that goes for the FFVII game haters; they hate the game because they don't understand it. One person was saying that FFVII's story sucked, because Cloud lost his memory as an excuse for not knowing what happened in Nibelhiem. But he didn't lose his memory he made up the "world" himself. Believe it or not, there are basically just as many FFVII haters, as there are of AC haters. I really shouldn't be surprised by the criticism.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
For instance, people complain why they don't know why Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo are the only clones to come out of the Northern Crater, but they aren't clones, they are remnants! Some people don't seem to understand that. They are remnants of Sephiroth’s body (who died in the cave earlier), which also explains why Kadaj turned into him!

So...why does this happen? You can explain that it happens, but without a REASON BEHIND IT, it's still random nonsense. Three guys crawl out of someone's apparent corpse for no reason and one of them turns into said former guy from eating some weird head jelly. Great. We've established that. Now...why? For what purpose, to what end, and what the hell?

A good story would at least make some motion towards explaining it. Advent Children doesn't even try, and you seem not to understand that's where the problem comes from. Without a rhyme or reason it's still just random crap happening nonsensically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
A good story would at least make some motion towards explaining it. Advent Children doesn't even try, and you seem not to understand that's where the problem comes from. Without a rhyme or reason it's still just random crap happening nonsensically.
I agree with you in that area. I already know that Advent Children doesn't even come close to what the game established, but Tetsuya Nomura has personally said he put several areas of the plot on the sideline for; "fans to fill in for themselves". This doesn't strengthen the plot whatsoever, I know, but still, despite the holes, I still enjoyed the story much more than some kiddie fish story in Finding Nemo. (Yes, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this...)
Kuririn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Of course this is better than Finding nemo or other cg movies.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Kuririn wrote:

There's no "of course" about it. Finding Nemo had a competent storyline that had heart and soul and appealed to a much wider audience.

FF7 AC has a bunch of pretty boys spewing nonsense and fighting eachother for 2 hours. It's completely unsophisticated fanboy wankery. Fun, but that's it. Not a classic, not even really memorable.

Apples and oranges anyway; FF7 was doing something very specific and appealing to an exact audience. Its goals were completely different from any typical CG family film.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
"fans to fill in for themselves".

This is not Nomura being smart or dedicated, this is him being a [expletive] lazy filmmaker. A director or what not doesn't intentionally leave things out of a story simply for fans to 'make up for themselves'. Sure, you can leave room for interpretation, such as symbolism or what not, but not actual plot points and character development.
Sylex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix doesn't have the creative talent to make family CG films. Most of its independent productions, which are games, are aimed at teen and perhaps adult audiences anyways, whereas Pixar has much more experience in this area. I question SE's ability to make any film appealing to a wider audience after Final Fantasy the Spirits Within, sporting excellent animation and a cast of big-name actors as voices, still didn't get the same kind of popularity as Finding Nemo. In terms of raw materials, Spirits Within differed little from Finding Nemo in terms of budget, voice talent, animation quality, and sound, yet the two movies contrasted greatly at the box office and at the pentips of critics. SE had to appeal its die-hard FF7 fanbase, its largest die-hard FF fanbase, for this next film in order to promise this measure of success. The movie also had the dual-purpose of showcasing the kind of action animation that SE will attempt to reproduce on the advanced hardware of the Playstation 3 for its upcoming Final Fantasy XIII.

Edit: Grammar
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kuririn wrote:

There's no "of course" about it. Finding Nemo had a competent storyline that had heart and soul and appealed to a much wider audience.

Not to mention animation that...actually did involve some significant innovations in the field of computer animation. Something fanboys love to insist Advent Children carries (though...yeah...not by a longshot).

Gotta love statements like Kuririn's. Nothing but blind fanboy ravings based on ignorance of an unimaginable scale. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
"fans to fill in for themselves".
This is not Nomura being smart or dedicated, this is him being a [expletive] lazy filmmaker.
Nomura was not being lazy. Even if not all of you agree the animation is superb, we at least should be able to see that this movie was definitly not anything that was "rushed" or "lazy". Besides, I think all of us have forgotten this was a straight to video release; you shouldn't have expectations at the level of Pixar. Even if I think AC actually outdoes what Pixar does.

Sylex wrote:
I question SE's ability to make any film appealing to a wider audience after Final Fantasy the Spirits Within, sporting excellent animation and a cast of big-name actors as voices, still didn't get the same kind of popularity as Finding Nemo.
I'm tired of hearing Spirits Within as something that's "Square-Enix's": Spirits Within was made by a bunch stupid Americans, who didn't even know what their source material is. AC was made by a completely different team, many of which worked on FFVII or other FF games. Who, even if you didn't like AC, have already established their ability on another product. Spirits Within was an abomination that I don't consider "Square-Enix's".

Anyway, I'm glad none of you turned into pissed off forum trolls after my Finding Nemo comment.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Nomura was not being lazy. Even if not all of you agree the animation is superb, we at least should be able to see that this movie was definitly not anything that was "rushed" or "lazy".

Dude, Advent Children was originally just going to be a disconnected collection of vignettes that the producers later decided to connect somehow. That's about all the effort they put into the "story." It was a lazy attempt that originally wasn't even going to be done. Period.

halochief_90 wrote:
Even if I think AC actually outdoes what Pixar does.

How? I mean, yeah, "opinions," whoopdeedoo, but how in good conscious can you say that Advent Children is better than even Pixar's weakest efforts?

halochief_90 wrote:
Spirits Within was made by a bunch stupid Americans, who didn't even know what their source material is.

Because the guy who produced just about every Final Fantasy game to date is a "stupid American," right? Because Hironobu Sakaguchi, who directed, co-wrote, and produced The Spirits Within, as well as produced damn near every Final Fantasy game to date—created the damn franchise, at that—is just some "stupid American."

Next time know what you're talking about before making some dimwitted statement, alright?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4