• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diabolik Lovers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
xorisa wrote:
Still trying to get my head around the purpose of this anime. For the past 7 episodes, I can only notice sadistic behaviours bestowed upon this poor human girl who has a two digit IQ.

Yep, that is the whole point of the show. We have gotten to the point where anime producers have decided to just forego all of the trappings of a half-way legit show and instead just go straight for the hard-core fetishery of showing a cute helpless girl being abused emotionally and perhaps sexually. They probably figure it's a waste of time and money to spend effort on pretending that they are making a real show, when they can just go straight for the fetish material that they know will sell loads of creepy merchandise.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
xorisa wrote:
Still trying to get my head around the purpose of this anime. For the past 7 episodes, I can only notice sadistic behaviours bestowed upon this poor human girl who has a two digit IQ.

I think you answered your own question there.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
I have watched the first five episodes, and can't see why some of you think Yui is stupid.

None of the vampires possess any humanity. They, obviously, are constantly watching her. They probably can track her by the smell of her blood in her body from miles away. They all are much physically stronger than her. Also, if they are anything like Dracula, they have, perhaps, the power of mind persuasion too.

Barring some kind of miraculous intervention, her only chance of survival, and future options of escape are to get as much information as possible about her captors and her father.

Even if one vampire let her go, the rest wouldn't let that stand, and she would be in hand in minutes.

spoiler[I haven't read about the game, but I tend to agree with those game players, that a lot of vampires are going to have to die, if Yui is going to get free from them. And yes, the constant physical and mental abuse, along with the constant drinking of her blood, daily, is going to take its toll on Yui. It would be a miracle, if she stays sane.]

I think for this show, the purpose is not in the journey, but in the denouncement. That means, there had better be a major pay off in the end.

Really don't see how this show can end in the episodes remaining, unless she gets some special powers. Perhaps that was what that stranger was talking about.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
This show is so dumb I can't help but laugh. Comedy of the year right here. The protagonist is so stupid and all the guys around her are so ridiculous. I started watching this because the girls at my anime club managed to vote it through as a show watched this pass week.

TarsTarkas wrote:
I have watched the first five episodes, and can't see why some of you think Yui is stupid.

It took her five minutes in the first episode to realize there's something not quite right about all the pretty boys around her. That's some weapons-grade stupidity right there.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
I still find it hard to believe that there's even a market for this and that there are girls that enjoy this sort of thing.

Just as there's men who enjoy being subjugated by women, there's women who enjoy being subjugated by men.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:

It took her five minutes in the first episode to realize there's something not quite right about all the pretty boys around her. That's some weapons-grade stupidity right there.

Yes, five minutes make all the difference.

Lets forget all about social norms, the fact that most believe monsters don't really exist, and just plain human disbelief.

Yes, five minutes is much too long, when confronted with ill defined evil and betrayal.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
GVman wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:

Yes, five minutes make all the difference.

Lets forget all about social norms, the fact that most believe monsters don't really exist, and just plain human disbelief.

Yes, five minutes is much too long, when confronted with ill defined evil and betrayal.

They were holding her down and licking her! I would assume any normal person would immediately run off after that, but she didn't; she waited until she met them all.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Guess you never heard of fear.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Guess you never heard of fear.

I'm sorry but PLEASE stop trying to justify her stupidity. If Yui was so AFRAID of these guys don't you think that she would stop trying to worry about them even though they see her as nothing but a blood bank?

Constantly throughout the series Yui keep approaching them when she really has NO reason too and ends up getting her blood sucked. But no matter how many times it happens she KEEPS DOING IT. Even when Kanato sucks her blood the first time, the second time she meets him she is worrying about him sitting on a ledge? HE'S a FREAKING VAMPIRE! He is literally in no danger and she's constantly insisted on worrying about him. The result? He almost kills her. Then after almost dying Subaru tells her that she can escape (apparently they are weak when the moon is dark) but instead of escaping she insists on staying to try to find out the truth about her father...........

I mean really?!!! Are you really going to call that anything other than plain stupidity? The only reasoning i can think of is that she has become a masochist which considering how crappy the the story progression and logic have been so far wouldn't surprise me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
You are a prisoner of seven different vampires. You have no friends who can help you. The only family we know about, your father, is the very one who apparently betrayed you. You are a stranger in a strange land. You have no means of escape and the vampires have claimed you as their own.

Yeah, she could live her life locked in her bedroom for the rest of her living life. Never go outside, never walk around the mansion or its grounds. Of course, that is not going to stop the vampires from drinking her blood and raping her anytime they want to.

She could also hate them. But will that hate do anything to make her life better or even make her free.

Her only hope, really, is to try to establish a emotional connection with one or more of the vampires, to find out more about them and her father, and pray that fate will throw her a bone.

But that is not the only hope or rather option. When in hell, it is better to be on the top, than on the bottom.

spoiler[From what people have been saying about the manga, it seems the later route is the most probable.]

She doesn't have any good options. As long as she is 'good' prey, she will live for now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Perhaps some Stockholm syndrome has already started to occur.

The only rational explanation.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You are a prisoner of seven different vampires. You have no friends who can help you. The only family we know about, your father, is the very one who apparently betrayed you. You are a stranger in a strange land. You have no means of escape and the vampires have claimed you as their own.

Yeah, she could live her life locked in her bedroom for the rest of her living life. Never go outside, never walk around the mansion or its grounds. Of course, that is not going to stop the vampires from drinking her blood and raping her anytime they want to.

She could also hate them. But will that hate do anything to make her life better or even make her free.

Her only hope, really, is to try to establish a emotional connection with one or more of the vampires, to find out more about them and her father, and pray that fate will throw her a bone.

But that is not the only hope or rather option. When in hell, it is better to be on the top, than on the bottom.

spoiler[From what people have been saying about the manga, it seems the later route is the most probable.]

She doesn't have any good options. As long as she is 'good' prey, she will live for now.

Don't know if you read my whole comment but someone DID throw her a bone. Subaru said that the best time to escape would be when the moon was covered. And it just happened to be covered the time he told her. They are must less powerful during this time, so much in fact that Ayato didn't even drink her blood even though he had already pushed her down and was about to bite her.

So are you seriously telling me that it was smarter to stay there even though she had the BEST opportunity to leave? Seriously if you have to go to all these lengths just to try to justify someones actions then it just makes your case look even weaker.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Perhaps some Stockholm syndrome has already started to occur.

The only rational explanation.

http://dialovers.piratejewel.net/Reiji:Heaven_03

The girl gets off on her Stockholm-esque relationship with the vampires, so yeah.

Really, if the anime would get that across a bit better, she would seem only half as stupid.

Last edited by GVman on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The vampires are presented as being practically all powerful. They seem to embody all the vampiric traits of legend.

Just because they are, supposedly, weakened during a full moon, they are still able to physically overpower her. When their supposed weakness disappears, they will have her in hand shortly after.

Her only way to be free is for the vampires to die, convince 'all' of them of their own free will to give her up, or she needs to kill them all by her own hand. The middle option is her most viable option at the moment, as unlikely as it seems now. This all may change with time.

Escape is not an option, unless you can guarantee that all seven vampires will be incapable of capturing her. Most likely punishing her severely for her thinking she was more than prey.

She is not a vampire hunter, a killer, or knows vampire hunters. Think you all are forgetting the traits and abilities of vampires here. She is the victim of seven of them.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The vampires are presented as being practically all powerful. They seem to embody all the vampiric traits of legend.

Just because they are, supposedly, weakened during a full moon, they are still able to physically overpower her. When their supposed weakness disappears, they will have her in hand shortly after.

Her only way to be free is for the vampires to die, convince 'all' of them of their own free will to give her up, or she needs to kill them all by her own hand. The middle option is her most viable option at the moment, as unlikely as it seems now. This all may change with time.

Escape is not an option, unless you can guarantee that all seven vampires will be incapable of capturing her. Most likely punishing her severely for her thinking she was more than prey.

She is not a vampire hunter, a killer, or knows vampire hunters. Think you all are forgetting the traits and abilities of vampires here. She is the victim of seven of them.

No that is not our fault. The anime is at fault for not fully explaining their abilities. Because of this we are left to just ASSUME what they are capable of. In fact it's possible all the assumptions you have about their powers are nothing but complete bull feces.

Also have you heard about this thing called a taxi? Or a plane? It's very unlikely that these guys are going to travel half way across the world to try to find her. What are they going to do use instant transmission or something? If she is far enough away it's likely they will lose track of her scent.

I'd also like to point out (again because you apparently don't get it) that they ALREADY tried to kill her and she didn't even run away. That's a good sign that it's time try something else because she obviously isn't getting through. Would you rather die trying to escape or die just hoping that things will get better when the obviously aren't? A smart person would try to escape.

And LOL Yui has already shown that she isn't very capable of killing them since Subaru gave her a weapon that could kill them. Shortly after the dick head Raito even gave her a free shot at his heart and she didn't do anything. Even if she did kill one of them it's unlikely that the brothers would even care since they pretty much hate each other. It's more likely that they would laugh it off. But like i said the SS has already set in with this one. Yep this is MC character of the year material right here Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
@ TarsTarkas - you seem to be missing the point. I dropped the show after two-and-a-half episodes because it was was painfully clear what the purpose of this show is.

The purpose of this show is for the viewer to identify with the female lead who is being mistreated by several so-called bishie. The show is making no attempt to provide a reasonable rationale for why she stays in the situation. That's not the point of the show. To complain about that point is just as pointless as it is to try and argue that there is a reasonable explanation for her passivity.

The show knows what its target audience wants to get out of this show. If you are thinking to yourself, "why doesn't she try to escape?" or if you are thinking, "sure, there's a logical reason she hasn't escaped" then neither side is in the target audience.

You're supposed to identify with the female being dominated in a certain kind of way. That's it. Full stop. Thinking beyond that central purpose is pointless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9