• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Credit Hogs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well this was interesting to read. Thanks for this week interesting Answerman article, keep it up!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Answerman said: I got a question about technical video stuff this week, but I'm never sure about writing about super-technical topics. I always get worried I'm going to bore people, or half the audience's eyes will glaze over. I opted to not answer it this week, but it's a good question, and I'm sure other people have nerdy video related questions as well. How do you think I should handle this?

The easiest approach would to be to create two responses. One in a nut shell and the long winded one. For the long winded answer, make that one collapsible or hidden like a spoiler in the forums. This way the average fan can just read the simple "in a nut shell" answer and move on, while us "video nerds" can read the long winded one.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
What's wrong with adding this stuff as extras? I would think this would be much easier for everyone.

Having them in between the episodes is more convenient, so just after finishing an episode, I can see who directed or scripted it or who voiced the new character I just heard. If I don't need to look at the English credits, it's easy to just press the skip button.

I do think I'm fine with them being in the extras, or all at the very end of the disc, but only if each episode's credits are completely listed.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I am one of the few that likes their anime as untouched as possible. I prefer the title cards and OP/ED credits in Japanese. I think that this little peeve of mine has contributed to me being the DVD/BD consumer that I am today...imports!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:

The easiest approach would to be to create two responses. One in a nut shell and the long winded one. For the long winded answer, make that one collapsible or hidden like a spoiler in the forums. This way the average fan can just read the simple "in a nut shell" answer and move on, while us "video nerds" can read the long winded one.

That doesn't seem like it'd be "the easiest approach" for either Justin or the readers.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I always have to stop myself from getting all crotchity over being someone who stuck around to watch credits before post-credit scenes brought all the cool kids. At least now there are fewer people standing up and walking in front of you while trying to watch them, so the more the merrier.

+1 to techie answers.

One point not covered, but does the increase in voice actors pulling double-duty with the production-side of things also contribute to why they aren't hopping studios as much as the might have before?
Meleemasta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy learning about things I don't know from people who do know what they are talking about... so yes please answer the technical questions. I always find those interesting and insightful.
Buster D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In other words, you have your opinion, the people in charge have theirs, and while you may disagree, you have been overruled.

Isn't FUNi the only ones who are still replacing credits (can't speak for Viz, I've never bought any of their releases from the past decade)? If so, it doesn't seem like those who prefer the original credits are being overruled.

Nowadays I mostly buy original Japanese BDs anyway, but it cracked me up whenever I saw misspellings or incorrect romanizations (like "Rei Takano" when it should have been Urara Takano) in English credits, which goes to show that they aren't very reliable even if they're provided or approved by the licensors.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
Quote:
In other words, you have your opinion, the people in charge have theirs, and while you may disagree, you have been overruled.

Isn't FUNi the only ones who are still replacing credits (can't speak for Viz, I've never bought any of their releases from the past decade)? If so, it doesn't seem like those who prefer the original credits are being overruled.

Nowadays I mostly buy original Japanese BDs anyway, but it cracked me up whenever I saw misspellings or incorrect romanizations (like "Rei Takano" when it should have been Urara Takano) in English credits, which goes to show that they aren't very reliable even if they're provided or approved by the licensors.

They leave them with Naruto but not with Bleach.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to credits, let me be the first to say that I absolutely hate, detest, and abhor the way Aniplex does them. Instead of giving an actual scroll, all they do is include a few pages of the credits as a "special feature". This usually includes only the info of the director, producer, etc, as well as all of the main characters in both Japanese and English. The problem here is, all the "little people" who helped work on the project DON'T get credited. And if you ask me, that's just not right. No matter how big or small their part was, if they helped put together something truly special they deserve for as many people as possible to know that they worked on it. Unless they specifically ask to remain uncredited, I believe they should be given credit where credit is due. So add that to my enormous pile of things I hate about Aniplex. Mad

Personally, I prefer the way FUNimation and VIZ do it. It's just so much more convenient for the actual credits to be in English. I'm not nitpicky about having the kanji, I don't read Japanese and I'm not trying to learn to either. And after all, 9 times out of 10, the kanji is just going to be plain ol' white text characters. Unless it's something super-stylized like in Evangelion, I see no reason to complain about having the text in English. It's not like they're altering or changing the actual show in any way, shape or form. It is LITERALLY nothing but text.

Not to mention that more and more shows are including English text in their intros right off the bat. I bet FUNimation won't have to alter a single thing when Attack on Titan comes to DVD. Laughing

If the company is insistent on keeping the original kanji, however, then I much prefer the way Media Blasters and Nozomi do it by having ONE long credit scroll at the end of the disc, usually set to background music. Sentai's scrolls are just so bland and boring. If they're going to put them between every episode, at least give us some music to listen to while they run.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Buster D wrote:
Quote:

They leave them with Naruto but not with Bleach.

All of their recent releases other than InuYasha: The Final Act - which include Tiger & Bunny, Nura, LaGrange, Zetman, Accel World, and K - have all had English credits.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That doesn't seem like it'd be "the easiest approach" for either Justin or the readers.

OK! Perhaps using slang in my previous post was a bad choice on my part. Let's use "brief answer" and "detailed answer" instead.

Just give the brief answer in the column and include a link to a different page with the detailed answer. Those that want to read the detailed answer will click on the link, while those that are not interested in the "nerdy" detailed answer will just move onto the next Q&A in the column.

I thought that a collapsible box, where the user just presses a button to expand would work. However, I forgot that your site may not support that feature.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I am one of the few that likes their anime as untouched as possible. I prefer the title cards and OP/ED credits in Japanese. I think that this little peeve of mine has contributed to me being the DVD/BD consumer that I am today...imports!

Same here, for the exact same reasons. It doesn't just apply to anime either - any foreign movies that I watch, I prefer them to have the original language title cards and credits.
For some reason I thought Justin knew Japanese. All you have to do is learn the 2,136 jouyou kanji plus an extra few hundred more for names, then those Japanese credits will be a snap!
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
A question about technical video stuff? Intriguing! Like many others that have commented, some of your insight will undoubtedly soar over my head (much like the booklet, "Lain Restoration", in the new Serial Experiments Lain box). However, I still find the technical side of media to be interesting, and, like the Lain booklet and the Revolutionary Girl Utena booklets (which don't go into intense technical mode but still offers tasty tidbits about the show's restoration) understanding the technical aspects that revolve around anime makes me appreciate the work that goes into it even more.
Elves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Chiming in on the should I/should I not answer technical questions from Mr. Sevakis...

Since I came to ANN (oh so many years ago) I've read your comments about encoding and I totally remember reading how you self-made DVDs which took the audio of one studio's release of an anime and paired it with the visual of another due to a personal drive to do so. Thus I think it'd be great to have a more in depth look at the process when it comes to the technical aspects of anime production. Especially since I've always wondered how the heck you would even do the latter! Cool I mean I'm not quite sure I even know what encoding means exactly, but I think I have a vague idea since I see the word flung around so much!

That being said, I think a certain amount of technical terminology restraint would be needed (I mean how often do we talk with job-specific jargon to the bewilderment to those not in that particular business?), but as long as readers understood the laymen's terms technical questions should be answered as well in the column.

Especially since Answerman now gives us access to someone with first hand knowledge of the process! So I'd say go for it, but don't let it consume the column. A nice balance would be good with me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4