• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Credit Hogs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

If you're referring to NYAV Post, she records for those dubs in LA. I don't recall her being in any NY-specific dubs.

Sheh was in the Jungle Emperor Leo movie, which was NY-specific.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
Funny, I was thinking about making a topic about credits before in the General Anime forums but never got around it.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
One of the worst parts of the "boom" years was how almost every company insisted on screwing with the OP/ED credits.

Thankfully the crash solved most of those problems...right when I stopped buying R1 discs. Oh well.

Anyway, there is no reason to ever put in English credits in the OP/ED. Scroll them afterwards.

(and complaining that it takes too long or that there is no music is just...what? Seriously? Thats your complaint?)

Yup especially with the case that I like to know who worked on both the Japanese and English side when the credits are going as they are supposed to function. Why wait extra long on who worked on the English side when that can be done right away?

And yes on the some JRPGs especially ones done by NIS America and Atlus where you have to do unnecessary listening and searching just looking up and figuring out who does what.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
FUNimation's credits almost never completely display the actual staff for the shows, anyway. Instead of crediting the hard working key animators FUNimation provides top priority to their own staff who aren't even involved in the show's creation. That's pretty annoying. If you're going to make extras like English credits at least make them informative.

While their English staff credits generally come first, FUNimation's credits do show a whole lot more Japanese staff. Most, if not all, of them. Is it that the English staff credits come first that upsets you?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the technical questions, i welcome them wholeheartedly
DavidShallcross wrote:
a lot of localized Japanese video games don't give credits for the English-language voices.

The same thing happens in Blazbloo and Soul Calibur IV and it is rather irritating.
As for the English credits I prefer the original Japanese credits, so long as an english translation is in some way provided. I like Sentai's method. I don't like what Sony does sometimes, however, where they have the Japanese credits, but no English. This happens with Paprika, Steamboy, the Marvel anime, and I think Memories. Strangely, Chinese movies like Curse of the Golden Flower and House of Flying Daggers have both credits side by side.
SpacemanHardy wrote:
If they're going to put them between every episode, at least give us some music to listen to while they run.
Clannad had the ending theme playing through the scroll, but thats the only one I've noticed.
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Johnny Yong Bosch was cast as Yuma in an alternate dub for Zexal!
That... would've been pretty cool.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Say what you will about viewing the credits in Japanese 'as intended', I'm pretty sure they were intended to actually be read by the viewer. Since they're, you know, credits. Thats more than enough reason. From the sound of this thread, many people who prefer Japanese credits import anyway.

Hence why 'as intended' has no place in the discussion. What does matter is what the episodes or movies did, which just so happens to be having the credits in Japanese in this case.

Asrialys wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
FUNimation's credits almost never completely display the actual staff for the shows, anyway. Instead of crediting the hard working key animators FUNimation provides top priority to their own staff who aren't even involved in the show's creation. That's pretty annoying. If you're going to make extras like English credits at least make them informative.

While their English staff credits generally come first, FUNimation's credits do show a whole lot more Japanese staff. Most, if not all, of them. Is it that the English staff credits come first that upsets you?

In the case of the titles I have seen this is not the case. Accurate descriptions of the actual production crew are not included.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:

In the case of the titles I have seen this is not the case. Accurate descriptions of the actual production crew are not included.

It varies widely. Some FUNi titles will have a complete translation of the ending credits, while some will only have the key episodic staff. It may depend on what they are provided by the licensor. It's the same for some Sentai series too, really. For instance, their credits on Hidamari Sketch are missing the key animators (apart from the OP and ED ones) and other episodic animation tasks.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to name which company is awful with full translation of Japanese staff credits while being diligent with their own staff credit, but I wasn't happy when I watched end credit of certain anime movie at a local theater.

To me, lack of translated credit is lack of respect for everyone who worked hard for the show. Even a show isn't all that great and animation production staffers are just being humble, but I believe giving credits only to certain localization staffers is just skews the perspective of production in general.

Even if most audience don't read end credit, showing full list of credit is a sign of appreciation to all staffers and serves as a gesture to audience that there are many people who worked hard to entertain them.

For all production staffers, film/TV credit is a working resume for their line of work. For aspiring artist, knowing who worked on what by reading the credit may help that person to enter the business.

Personally I don't need fancy BD/DVD menu interface to see translated credit. blank screen with translated credit right after Japanese credit is more than enough for me.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I am one of the few that likes their anime as untouched as possible. I prefer the title cards and OP/ED credits in Japanese. I think that this little peeve of mine has contributed to me being the DVD/BD consumer that I am today...imports!

Buster D wrote:
Nowadays I mostly buy original Japanese BDs anyway, but it cracked me up whenever I saw misspellings or incorrect romanizations (like "Rei Takano" when it should have been Urara Takano) in English credits, which goes to show that they aren't very reliable even if they're provided or approved by the licensors.

Yeah, heh heh. Credits issues are entries 9, 10, and 11 on The List.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2011076&postcount=17

(And looking at this now, I see it's missing an entry for lower-quality masters being provided for localized releases, e.g. the 1080i Penguin Drum and Bodacious Space Pirates...)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
The thing I love the most about the FUNi releases is that they DO translate the credits within the show. If you don't, it just makes the product look lazy. Plus, if you enjoy watching the credits like I do sometimes, having to watch the English credits scroll by without any music is just annoying.

I'd prefer that the Japanese credits at least be there somewhere on the disc; for one thing, unless they have improved recently, FUNimation only bothers translating half the credits and make numerous mistakes even with their own English credits. I seem to recall for Burst Angel half the cast was missing for most episodes and to take an example from one episode of the Kiddy Grade credits:
Quote:
Dextera - Christopher R. Sabat
Anoh - Vic Mignogna
Etoh - Wendy Powell

Dextera was voiced by Vic Mignogna, Un-ou was voiced by Pugs and to this day I have no idea who "Etoh" is, unless they meant A-ou but he was voiced by the late Steve Sanders... they also spelt Gwendolyn Lau's name at least three different ways, including "Gwendolyb".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4