• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Descends from Summit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
No. It's because of the overalls. I like Yu-Gi-Oh!.

The...overalls...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Nagisa, overalls. You know, what farmers wear? Razz

I think he means more of it's demographic. It's a kid's show. The first series might sell to an otaku audience only and do well, since it's not about card dueling, but the second series would never do well if it was catered to an otaku market only. I think 4kids should've released uncut as well, but I think that it needed to be lisenced by a children's company for it to make money.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
What is this? Some sixty two pages of posts where people are bashing 4Kids? I'm not going to bother sifting through this...so I guess I guess I'll have to pontificate...again. Sigh.

*deep breath*

4Kids is not responsible for the failure of One Piece, but rather, One Piece itself has failed to attract a mainstream audience in America, or rather, it has yet to do so. I cite the first (butchered) version of Dragonball Z as evidence of successful start despite serious edits.

Years ago, Shaman King was projected to be the "next Pokemon", yet even with a responsible dub (with a few choice moments of actual cursing) in addition to, uh, the concept of an afterlife (ergo, an implication of death), Shaman King was relatively unspectacular and has not attracted the massive audience of something like Naruto.

I will consent, putting One Piece on an outlet like 4Kids.tv was probably a bad idea, and KidsWB should have been the one to shoulder the show...but it's unlikely the niche core of fans who so loudly bash 4Kids on the internet (teens->young adults) would be likely to pull the weight of the series (in terms of massive gross income) that Toei expects of its "new Dragonball".

4Kids did everything in its power to make the show a success, and since people are not buying into One Piece, I guess we can call its failure on appeal, not presentation. People (including myself) criticize/satirize 4Kids for their hilariously bad edits...but Toei makes equally laughable mistakes in their "budget cutting" efforts. I'd call things a 50/50 split.

And lastly...why do people care if One Piece isn't popular? Obviously, the vast majority of the people here who talk about the series have seen the illegal subtitles/manga scanslations, so what's the deal with bashing 4Kids for trying to turn a (small) profit for Eiichiro Oda, who might respect the spirit but clearly does not benefit from internet piracy?

Oh, and for a final note.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest will clearly raise more interest in One Piece. In economic terms...ehh, I'd call them "complementary goods".
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
4Kids is not responsible for the failure of One Piece, but rather, One Piece itself has failed to attract a mainstream audience in America, or rather, it has yet to do so. I cite the first (butchered) version of Dragonball Z as evidence of successful start despite serious edits.

Yes, they are. I'm not blaming the dub entirely, though that is admittedly a part of the problem (for a show to be a success, it should appeal to a broad range of people - obviously 4Kids doesn't follow so they polarize their audiences by adding in potty jokes at every opportunity and generally dumbing down... well, everything).

The thing is, 4Kids never advertised the show, bar a couple of spots on primetime reruns, where the majority of the people watching wouldn't really, well... care. 4Kids has proven that they are totally able to get ads on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, and have a decent relationship with them as it stands, so there's no reason why One Piece couldn't have received the attention it deserved, and there's also no reason why they should have taken over a YEAR to get any merchandise on shelves.

Quote:
Years ago, Shaman King was projected to be the "next Pokemon", yet even with a responsible dub (with a few choice moments of actual cursing) in addition to, uh, the concept of an afterlife (ergo, an implication of death), Shaman King was relatively unspectacular and has not attracted the massive audience of something like Naruto.

Except Shaman King was on an obscure Saturday morning block with, like One Piece, zero marketing and merchandising campaigns. Naruto on the other hand had a big promotion before its premiere (print ads appeared in gaming magazines, there were TV spots everywhere, heck, GameFAQs once devoted an entire skin to Naruto's premiere - clearly Viz knows their audience), and aired on a fairly decent slot.

Making a comparison between the success of any 4Kids TV show and Naruto, and pinning all of the problems on the show itself is faulty, because 4Kids has never put any effort into making sure people hear about a show, and they probably never will.

Quote:
I will consent, putting One Piece on an outlet like 4Kids.tv was probably a bad idea, and KidsWB should have been the one to shoulder the show...but it's unlikely the niche core of fans who so loudly bash 4Kids on the internet (teens->young adults) would be likely to pull the weight of the series (in terms of massive gross income) that Toei expects of its "new Dragonball".

I don't think anyone ever said that the existing fans would be able to make the show a big hit, but they would have helped. Spitting on the faces of the dedicated fans is not the best way to start out, and as far as achieving that goes, I'd say they did a pretty good job at that by opting for "YO! Don't give it up Luffy!" over the We Are dub.

Quote:
4Kids did everything in its power to make the show a success, and since people are not buying into One Piece, I guess we can call its failure on appeal, not presentation. People (including myself) criticize/satirize 4Kids for their hilariously bad edits...but Toei makes equally laughable mistakes in their "budget cutting" efforts. I'd call things a 50/50 split.

No, here's what happened - 4Kids shit up the series, put it on the first time slot they had access to, and sat back and watched it crumble. Never during the show's ill-fated Saturday morning run did they really DO something about it, and it was only when Toonami picked it up - no, only when Naruto premiered that the show started getting some recognition.

Quote:
And lastly...why do people care if One Piece isn't popular? Obviously, the vast majority of the people here who talk about the series have seen the illegal subtitles/manga scanslations, so what's the deal with bashing 4Kids for trying to turn a (small) profit for Eiichiro Oda, who might respect the spirit but clearly does not benefit from internet piracy?

I'm tired of hearing that same bs argument. I don't care if I've seen it from fansubs - I was totally willing to buy it legally through uncut DVDs (I already buy the English manga), and 4Kids continues to deny fans that option. Even if we had the crap dub, I would be able to tolerate its existence if some subbed DVDs were released, but no, 4Kids can't do that, they have to "stagger" the series so that the uncuts can't take precedence over the edits, they have to make sure that their product isn't outperformed by the superior version. And when some uncut DVDs come out, god forbid the distributor make some profit from it, so 4Kids throws a shitfit if they don't get more money and ruins it for everyone. Honestly, they're like the shady drugdealers of anime.

Quote:
Oh, and for a final note.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest will clearly raise more interest in One Piece. In economic terms...ehh, I'd call them "complementary goods".

This has to do with what, now? How the media percieves it:

Pirates of the Caribbean = heavily advertised movie

One Piece = what's a One Piece?
potassium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
A lot of it has to do with the times as well. When DBZ came out, a kid didn't have too many options for cartoons to watch. They could either switch between DBZ, Nickelodeon, and possbily Disney depending on their area. Nowadays, there are too many cartoons airing in the same time slot to keep track of. They have so many choices of cartoons they're often torn between what to watch at what time. 10 years ago, you could air a show aimed at the kids' demographic, and usually, even despite it being horribe, kids would sit through it for lack of anything better to do. Now? They can simply switch on their game system of choice if they don't want to go outside. (all speaking from personal experience as a kid and with kids)

So, as it stands, the world of the cartoon business has gotten extremely competitive, most especially when you compare it to the days when Nickelodeon was something new. Kids actually have some quality shows to choose from. You can't air something that's been edited so much the plot can't coherently be followed unless you know what -should- be happening and honestly expect results.

The anime One Piece is based on the number one, best-selling comic book series in Japan. For it to not only not be a hit, but to FAIL in America is NOT the fault of cultural differences nor the fanbase of the original version.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
10 years ago, you could air a show aimed at the kids' demographic, and usually, even despite it being horribe, kids would sit through it for lack of anything better to do.

They still do. In my experience, kids usually can't tell the difference between a bad cartoon and a good one until around age nine (I have many siblings, so I speak from experience). I have an eight year old brother whose current obsession is Loonatics: Unleashed, and it's very popular with the 6-10 year old boys demographic. For those yet to experience this perversity of mankind, it's essentially a Teen Titans rip-off with Looney Toons characters. That rap. And Wile E. Coyote talks. It's ten times worse than Camp Lazlo and Danny Phantom put together.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
I guess someone would've said something similar to this, but One Piece kind of wasn't going to be a big hit as far as I saw. Even if it were accurate and not dumbed down, the idea of pirates, very diverse, flamboyant pirates with special powers wouldnt go over well with people. Lets face it, the art style is just plain ol' weird, when compared to something more streamlined such as Naruto or DBZ.

I mean, this is part of the cultural difference. Japan has had fourty years of continually changing styles and development, whereas in America, when animation changes, it's usually in a larger, more direct fashion. Japan generally will blend into each other, whereas the US would work like chapters.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about.
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I guess someone would've said something similar to this, but One Piece kind of wasn't going to be a big hit as far as I saw. Even if it were accurate and not dumbed down, the idea of pirates, very diverse, flamboyant pirates with special powers wouldnt go over well with people. Lets face it, the art style is just plain ol' weird, when compared to something more streamlined such as Naruto or DBZ.

I mean, this is part of the cultural difference. Japan has had fourty years of continually changing styles and development, whereas in America, when animation changes, it's usually in a larger, more direct fashion. Japan generally will blend into each other, whereas the US would work like chapters.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about.

You're saying One Piece had no chance because of the simple fact that at it's core, it's about pirates with special powers?

And yet America had no qualms with zombie pirates, now did they?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
No, becuse the big difference is that Pirates of the Carrebian is a mostly believable pirate tale with supernatural elements. One Piece on the other hand has some very abstract concepts and designs. A boy made entirely out of rubber? A clown that can take itself apart? Funky character designs? Pirates with Dragonball-esque powers? While I like One Piece to bits, it's still a very different series to what would normally appeal to American audiences, and as such wouldn't have succeeded in the US as much as 4kids or Toei expected, even if it had a faithful dub.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
*edited out "sympathetic words"*

Are you some 4Kids lackey trying to do damage control, or are you just one big 4Kids apologist fanboy?

What you just said has to be the worst attempt by ANYBODY to actually justify any reasonable shred of attempt 4Kids has tried to muster in it's miserable, pittiful existance as a "Property Handler." Please, carefully look at the tactics of 4Kids and come back and say your words are even minutely correct!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
potassium wrote:
..... and Elfen Lied promotes lying.
I think "Lied" is pronounced "leed", not lied as in "she lied in court". Wink

that's obviously the joke. Rolling Eyes

that's the second time now in this very thread you've taken seriously something i said that wasn't meant to be.
Unfortunately this is common problem with communicating without seeing facial expressions, or body language. Sorry but your writing isn't in a comical way so I can not but read it as if you were serious. But from now on I'll take everything you write as a sacastic joke. Will that be alright then? Wink
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
I think the problem is more along the lines that whenever someone consistently fails to recognize sarcasm, often it's because they simply assume everyone around them isn't as intelligent they are.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

The thing is, 4Kids never advertised the show, bar a couple of spots on primetime reruns, where the majority of the people watching wouldn't really, well... care. 4Kids has proven that they are totally able to get ads on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, and have a decent relationship with them as it stands, so there's no reason why One Piece couldn't have received the attention it deserved, and there's also no reason why they should have taken over a YEAR to get any merchandise on shelves.

Again, you're screening out the possibility that just because One Piece is popular in Japan doesn't mean it will be popular in America. Ask yourself; would Doraemon be a cultural phenomenon in America?

And, while I partially agree that One Piece was not initially advertised properly, I will note that it had/has three timeslot outlets on two different networks; weekly syndication on Miguzi, primetime syndication on Toonami, and syndication on the 4Kids.tv block.

There is/was more opportunities to see One Piece than Pokemon at its peak, and since Toonami has a killer ad-campaign, the number of potential viewers has been maximized.

What are we left with? Good ratings, but mediocre in comparison to Naruto.

Yashouzoid wrote:

Except Shaman King was on an obscure Saturday morning block with, like One Piece, zero marketing and merchandising campaigns. Naruto on the other hand had a big promotion before its premiere (print ads appeared in gaming magazines, there were TV spots everywhere, heck, GameFAQs once devoted an entire skin to Naruto's premiere - clearly Viz knows their audience), and aired on a fairly decent slot.

Uh, wasn't the former occupant of 4Kids.tv's timeslot FoxKids, which was world famous for starting those nuclear explosion we know as "Power Rangers" and "Digimon"? As I remember things, 4Kids.tv took over immediately after FoxKids dissolved, and with a fairly entertaining lineup of shows, too.

Cheap, but entertaining. EXCEPT for that "Ultraman Tiga". Feh!

...and, again, I need to point out DBZ's runaway stardom during the "bad FUNi dub" that ran along Sailor Moon, which was also monstrously popular in its time, despite the edits.

Frankly, Naruto as a franchise isn't bigger than DBZ (yet), but Viz has invested a heck of a lot more into advertising than FUNi did. If Naruto flopped, so would have Viz Media.

Yashouzoid wrote:

Making a comparison between the success of any 4Kids TV show and Naruto, and pinning all of the problems on the show itself is faulty, because 4Kids has never put any effort into making sure people hear about a show, and they probably never will.

They shouldn't have to. I heard Kinnikuman II Sei (Ultimate Muscle), a 4Kids.tv show, was signed on for a second season because of its popularity. Obviously, Ultimate Muscle had something One Piece doesn't, and I call that: appeal

Yashouzoid wrote:

I don't think anyone ever said that the existing fans would be able to make the show a big hit, but they would have helped. Spitting on the faces of the dedicated fans is not the best way to start out, and as far as achieving that goes, I'd say they did a pretty good job at that by opting for "YO! Don't give it up Luffy!" over the We Are dub.

No company should care about existing "fans" unless there is money to be made off of them. Viz's cultivation of Naruto is in part due to fears of fiscal backlash in response to the One Piece dub; if OP were dubbed by FUNimation, I'd bet my ant farm Viz wouldn't have taken great care in fashioning an agreeable dub.

I'm sure there were hardcore Pokemon fans in 1998 who wanted to watch the originals in America (subtitled) and got screwed too. The only difference between those Pokemon fans and the One Piece dub bashers are relative size; the latter is far larger than the former, in part due to the advent of technology/technology (and spreading of fansubs).

Yashouzoid wrote:

No, here's what happened - 4Kids shit up the series, put it on the first time slot they had access to, and sat back and watched it crumble. Never during the show's ill-fated Saturday morning run did they really DO something about it, and it was only when Toonami picked it up - no, only when Naruto premiered that the show started getting some recognition.

Huh. Y'know, for a second there, I almost thought 4Kids was trying to turn One Piece into an iconic representation of American culture. That would be nice, but I'm sure they would rather have money instead, which was why 4Kids shouldered such an expensive show by themselves rather than make pacts with Warner.

...which, I should note, isn't doing too hot in its Saturday Morning block, either.

And, yes, it's pretty clear when Naruto came around, One Piece became more popular. Or did it? I am too lazy to turn off my television, so I end up watching One Piece right after Naruto; I'm not interested, but it's there.

With that "800-pound marketing gorilla" on Toonami's block, it's impossible to tell if One Piece is coming of its own age or if it's simply holding onto the tail of Naruto. Time will tell, I suppose, but I said that eight months ago and nothing big has come of it.

Yashouzoid wrote:

I'm tired of hearing that same bs argument. I don't care if I've seen it from fansubs - I was totally willing to buy it legally through uncut DVDs (I already buy the English manga), and 4Kids continues to deny fans that option. Even if we had the crap dub, I would be able to tolerate its existence if some subbed DVDs were released, but no, 4Kids can't do that, they have to "stagger" the series so that the uncuts can't take precedence over the edits, they have to make sure that their product isn't outperformed by the superior version. And when some uncut DVDs come out, god forbid the distributor make some profit from it, so 4Kids throws a shitfit if they don't get more money and ruins it for everyone. Honestly, they're like the shady drugdealers of anime.

No, you're embarassed at not being able to share your favourite series with your friends like in Junior High, and you are jealous of Naruto's popularity. If such is the case, you don't even *deserve* to call yourself a One Piece fan, as you clearly don't like the series and instead wanted to brag about something you thought was popular.

Am I wrong? Heck no! But if I was, you shouldn't be ranting on an otaku forum and instead move on to other things. Maybe an uncut One Piece will appear someday; but don't waste your life waiting for it.

"4Kids Descends from Summit" is it...well, 4Kids has moved on, but I guess you have not.

potassium wrote:

A lot of it has to do with the times as well. When DBZ came out, a kid didn't have too many options for cartoons to watch. They could either switch between DBZ, Nickelodeon, and possbily Disney depending on their area. Nowadays, there are too many cartoons airing in the same time slot to keep track of. They have so many choices of cartoons they're often torn between what to watch at what time. 10 years ago, you could air a show aimed at the kids' demographic, and usually, even despite it being horribe, kids would sit through it for lack of anything better to do. Now? They can simply switch on their game system of choice if they don't want to go outside. (all speaking from personal experience as a kid and with kids)

While I agree that there wasn't much to watch when DBZ came out, there's still not a great deal to see on major cable TV. It's not like there are now ten or twenty DBZ clones on CN; just a few core shows, just like back in 1999.

I would also argue that the material in the past was better dubbed and edited than now, as well as better written. I'd take YST/Ronin Warriors over Naruto anyday.

The real problem is that the intellectual standards require to interpret a show have been severely reduced. Much of the stuff on Nickelodeon is catered for short attention spans and popular culture, a stark contrast to the NickToon lineup from the early 1990's that featured double standards so that parents could enjoy cartoons along with their children.

"But where are those good old-fashioned values...on which we use to rely?"

potassium wrote:

You can't air something that's been edited so much the plot can't coherently be followed unless you know what -should- be happening and honestly expect results.

*cough* Bobobo-bo-bobo *cough*

Oh, wait. That's not edited (well, slightly). Still not plot, though!

And there are results. Bobobo is still on the air, isn't it?

potassium wrote:

The anime One Piece is based on the number one, best-selling comic book series in Japan. For it to not only not be a hit, but to FAIL in America is NOT the fault of cultural differences nor the fanbase of the original version.

Again, otaku hubris shines through said otaku's veild attempt at impartial analysis.

"Oh, no one understands Oda's genuis like I do!"

Like yaku, you're just angry Naruto, which you feel is inferior to One Piece, isn't getting as much attention as the former. It's not fair.

Neither is life, kid.

I remember Al Kahn said something about "kids not knowing they're [anime] from Japan", which is understandable because the average Joe Schmo's only knowledge of Japan is "they're those bastiches who bombed Pearl Harbour!" Discriminatory? YES. Realistic? Sadly, yes too.

It's a cultural failure. Clearly.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Are you some 4Kids lackey trying to do damage control, or are you just one big 4Kids apologist fanboy?

I work for one of the most popular English One Piece websites on the internet. Do a search for "Malintex_Terek" why don'cha.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Uh, wasn't the former occupant of 4Kids.tv's timeslot FoxKids, which was world famous for starting those nuclear explosion we know as "Power Rangers" and "Digimon"? As I remember things, 4Kids.tv took over immediately after FoxKids dissolved, and with a fairly entertaining lineup of shows, too.
Fox Kids wasn't owned by 4Kids. It was owned by Saban Entertainment. In 2002, Saban was bought by Disney with all of Saban's shows switching over to Disney-owned networks like ABC and Toon Disney, and the former Saturday morning block on Fox was bought by 4Kids, which changed the block from Fox Kids to the Fox Box, which was later renamed to 4Kids TV. Shaman King was apart of the Fox Box, not Fox Kids, which was what 4Kids TV was called before it changed its name. The Fox Box was still owned by 4Kids; it just had a different name and Shaman King was dubbed by 4Kids. Check ANN's encyclopedia next time before you assume something if you aren't sure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Why bring up the fact that Bobobo is still on the air? One Piece is still on the air as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7