• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Happened? And the DBZ Comments

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
What happened to the Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball GT series? I mean, back in the mid 1990's when DBZ first aired, the series was doing fine. I just don't realize what happened to the series to make it go downhill so much.

Perhaps the fact it takes about 15 minutes to "transform" or power up the Spirit Bomb could have lowered viewers because like myself, they want action for the whole airing time and don't want to be bored with watching "AHHHHH! POOSH!" C'mon, DBZ could have been so much better.

The flashbacks
I remember during the Cell Saga when Cell absorbed Android 18 and became "perfect" Wtf? It took the whole last half of the show to look at this huge blue energy ball surrounding the transforming Cell. Who really wants to watch that.
Also, I remember the Frieza saga during his 1st and final transformation. Not to mention some of the first hand combat was pretty bad but gradually gotten better until the final episodes. It took so long for Freiza to shoot his Ki at Goku. I was starting to get so bored and was ready to turn the channel.

Don't even get me started on how GT added to the shame of the series. As the series turned to GT, the series just seemed to get lamer and lamer and predictable with that. Don't tell me you didn't think that Super Android 17 in GT would betray Dr. Gero or Myuu? Samething for Baby. We all should know that a being of higher power will betray the weak and whipe out everyone who he feels that would stand in his way to "ruling the world" or whatever. Samething for most animes.

Does anyone have any theories on the reason DBZ went from being watched most often to basically failing?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Well, they basically milked it out for too long. It was originally supposed to end after the Frieza Saga, but fans demanded more and Toriyama gave in and made more. He was already out of ideas by that point, as he was already supposed to have finished the manga already, so creating the later sagas not in his own free will caused them to become rather crappy. Of course, after the Buu saga, he decided for sure that he wasn't going to make any more Dragonball, but to milk the cash cow even more, the executives at Toei decided to keep the franchise going and make GT. Of course, without Toriyama, it was pretty much a train wreck, and you can thank the genius scriptwriters at Toei for all the stupidity you see in GT.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well for one, the series are done, two, I would think that people have moved on in life from DBZ because that's just not the thing that's in anymore. Seeing as how DBZ DVD's will selll for seven dollars at Game Stop, tell's you how the craze of DBZ has toned down. Pokemon isn't over which is why it's still surviving, but it's got the support of the Japanese so it could probably go on without even us. Yu-Gi-Oh is still going because of the card game. DBZ never really put anything significant out to support it after it's climax. But it still remains popular. It's not unheard of. It's not totally dead. But it's not going to take over the country again.
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I have indeed moved on in terms of DBZ, now I'm focused more on the more graphical anime like Cowboy Beebop, Lupin the third and sometimes I'll watch Case Closed if I'm up late enough Wink Aside from watching anime, I'm trying to learn more about it which is why I'm here most of the time.

When I look back on it, DBZ is kind of old in sense it's 2006 not 1995 or whenever. What I mean by this is that fans demand more teenager type anime instead of kiddie stuff.
Area88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
DBZ is a good entry anime but there really is better stuff out there as your finding out for yourself.

You must have pretty good taste as Cowboy Bebop and Lupin are both excellent shows.

I would also recommend watching series like 'Trigun', 'Dirty Pair', 'Tenchi Muyo' etc, since i think they would fit your taste in anime.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
DBZ isn't as popular anymore like it used to be because it ended. When a series ends, it's natural for it to lose its popularity after a few years because the fans have already moved onto something else. Right now Naruto is currently the biggest hit for Shounen Jump fanboys in America and it has similar popularity to DBZ, but you can bet that the show's popularity will eventually die out after it's over. Also, back when DBZ first started airing on TV, it along with Sailor Moon were one of the first few anime series to gain mainstream success. Now that anime has gained more fans over the years, there's a lot more wider variety in the different anime series that's broadcasted on American TV and you have a lot more entertaining series to choose from. Since Americans can now see more of what anime has to offer, many of them have come to agree that DBZ isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread anymore and they've found other more entertaining shows to watch. DBZ still has a lot of fanboys; it's just they've moved onto something else to rave about, particularly Naruto these days. The overly-zealot DBZ fanboys probably didn't help the show's popularity much, either.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Tenchi Muyo is a good show. Allthough I have not seen the new series of Tenchi, it looks good. I breifly watched Trigun only once. Aside from the graphical side of Anime, I liked to also watch Yu Yu Hakusho but when the Dark Tournament saga ended, I never really gotten back into it because the new episodes never were on television when I was available and there wasn't really alot of extra money to buy the videos and by the time I could buy them, there was about 4 more new movies out. The chain goes on so I just didn't bother buying any of them.

Sometimes I go to "Anime Network on Demand" which has good anime on there. Also, sometimes feature movies are available but it has been awhile since I've ordered them. The last one I ordered was indeed Cowboy Beebop which was my first exposure to graphical anime (this was about 2 or more years ago.) Not to mention, Adult Swim is on tonight Very Happy its been a whole 1 day (haha) since I watched it.
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
At one point, every anime dies out for awhile but a new show takes its place. I mean, it would get kind of boring just watching the same old anime air on television when there could be an even better anime to show. Its only cannon that DBZ become "less popular" sometime. But like always, some animes come back after a few years.

Looking at Mega Man (The example)
Yes, I'm bringing back Mega Man again. But, when Mega Man first became popular in the 90's, everything was going good. The toys were selling, VHS tapes, and most of all the game. Then less and less of Mega Man toys were being released and airings became limited. Then the time has come and you only have access to the games. Many fans of Rockman, including myself, thought that we would have seen the last of the "blue bomber."
A couple years ago, Mega Man resurfaced in the form of a...Net Navi? Yes, the blue bomber was back! But, I have to say I was kind of disappointed at the type of storyline and such. But hey, it spawned Mega Man to come back in his original form as well. All new Mega Man figures (Original Series) were released and with that, the Mega Man Anniversary Collection came out for the PlayStation 2. That wasn't all.. the X series also came about. Mega Man X, Zero, Axl, Nightmare Zero, and 12" doll types of figures came out as for the X Collection for the PS2.

Yeah, I realize Mega Man has nothing to do with Dragon Ball Z but I was giving an example of how DBZ could infact die out but then one day it could come back better than ever! Keep that in mind..But since it's still around, and viewed widley in Japan, this "return" won't be for awhile. Especially if FUNimation keeps releasing these video games which I find stupid. The only game I acutally liked of DBZ was Dragon Ball Z Budokai. (The first game in the series.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1