• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Duran Duran No-Go on Speed Grapher DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Bad times, that was like one of my favorite OP songs. I mean it completely make sense for the show as well. Darn it, that kinda make me sad now when that DVD is shipped from rightstuf but oh well I am still going to enjoy this series.

I wonder how much Duran Duran was trying to take Funimation, I mean that was the 80 (I think) get over it, take what Funi was offering and run with it. I mean I like the tribute Duran Duran CD more then Duran Duran.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
paulfear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Bad times, that was like one of my favorite OP songs. I mean it completely make sense for the show as well. Darn it, that kinda make me sad now when that DVD is shipped from rightstuf but oh well I am still going to enjoy this series.

I wonder how much Duran Duran was trying to take Funimation, I mean that was the 80 (I think) get over it, take what Funi was offering and run with it. I mean I like the tribute Duran Duran CD more then Duran Duran.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

a lot of times bands do not own the rights to their own music. especially in cases where it has already been licensed to a territory. duran duran were on an english record label, their music was licensed to an american label for distribution here. funimation was more than likely having to deal with both the UK and US labels, the band themself, and any third party music publishers that may be involved.

i just got my copy from rightstuf on tuesday (the news post says its supposed to be released on july 4th but they've already shipped it? i'm confused) but i've not yet watched it, kind of bummed now that they've changed their opening theme. i'm sure funimation tried hard, especially since it took them over a year to secure licenses for all the music in "beck: mongolian chop squad".
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
well that sucks. how did Gonzo get the rights?
Grencia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
What was said about the problems with licensing is really true. I don't have any 'insider' information, but I know that Duran Duran has always been keen to work with visual media of all kinds, and anime would be right up their alley. I was fortunate enough to see them on their most recent tour, and they even had an anime-style video sequence for "Careless Memories." From what I know of the band, having been a fan since the Eighties, I have to say it's pretty unlikely that the band themselves made it impossible for their song to be used.

I may pop on over to their site and see if I can get any additional information.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
paulfear wrote:
i just got my copy from rightstuf on tuesday (the news post says its supposed to be released on july 4th but they've already shipped it? i'm confused) but i've not yet watched it, kind of bummed now that they've changed their opening theme. i'm sure funimation tried hard, especially since it took them over a year to secure licenses for all the music in "beck: mongolian chop squad".

Ok so now that I heard that I am a little confused your the third person that has told they have already recieved their righstuf order for Speed Grapher yet I haven't recieved jack. Did you order the special edition or regular edition DVD?

But you do bring up an interesting point V1cious how exactly did Gonzo manage to pull that off, I got a feeling Funi is getting a little cheap on us............
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
paulfear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Ok so now that I heard that I am a little confused your the third person that has told they have already recieved their righstuf order for Speed Grapher yet I haven't recieved jack. Did you order the special edition or regular edition DVD?

i ordered the regular edition back when rightstuf had their sale on funimation items (i think that was in april).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
You're right in that the band likely had nothing to do with the denial. Duran Duran has long since left Capitol/EMI (they're now on Epic, according to Wikipedia) -- and EMI has already been taken to task since then for using the band's catalog in ways they haven't agreed to. (Their music video DVD set "Greatest" -- which has what are possibly the worst menus in DVD history --being the biggest one.)

It's quite standard to grant music licenses differently in different countries. In the States, to use music in this manner, you require THREE different licenses: a broadcast license in order to play or broadcast the song with the show (even if you're doing nothing but showing it to some people), a mechanical license to manufacture DVD's with the song on it, and a synchronization license to match visuals to it. This process, I can tell you from personal experience, is not only daunting, but ridiculously expensive and time consuming.

Mind you, EMI is one of the "big four" record labels, and I'm sure they wanted quite a bit of money for those rights in what is arguably their biggest territory. The bigger the hit song, the more it costs -- and that one was quite big in its day.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Sometimes, it is MUCH easier and cheaper for the Japanese to aquire certain musical licenses than it is for the U.S. publishers to. For example, the lyrics from certain Carpenter's songs were used for a story in Ah! My Goddess. When that story came up for publication in English by Dark Horse, the amount of money DH would have been charged for the license for a few words would have been way more than the licensing fee's paid for the actual manga. It was more money that DH was willing to spend, thus we got someone else's lyrics instead.

It sucks, but that's how it goes.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Then again, they can also go the route the makers of the opening animation for DAICON IV did when they used ELO's song "Twilight". Just say screw it and use it anyways.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks. Duran Duran got me excited for this show. Cool song; so it must be a cool show, I thought.
Crawly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Two years of negotiations and begging along with lots of money.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:
Then again, they can also go the route the makers of the opening animation for DAICON IV did when they used ELO's song "Twilight". Just say screw it and use it anyways.

Funimation is a lot more likely to get their collective asses sued off than a few fan animators.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:

Wow, be happy you don't run a business with sense like that.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:

I hope your comment is covered sarcasm, because what you are inferring to is huge deal. If Funimation did that they could be sued to the point where they could be in complete bankrupty. Legal cost alone would make Funimation not be able to license a show for quite some time.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
All together now: Screw greedy record companies. Instead of attracting a younger generation of fans who don't even know who Duran Duran was, but who might buy the CD if they like the song, the licensors would rather charge a premium for a song which hasn't gotten 24 hour airplay since it was first broadcast on radio and tv.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3