• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: We Love the 90s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
If your parent or grandparent's generation is any indicator of product reintroduction I don't see why anime would NOT be revisited by your generation a few years down the road. My generation, boomer, revisited electric trains via Lionel in O-gauge or similar manifestations constructed in the smaller gauges (HO, N, et al) back in the '80-90's decades. This nostalgia enabled Lionel to survive an almost extinct play market (collectors excepted) that it had to endure during the late '60's, early '70s as US population preference evolved to other experiences or things. The only concern I would express re anime replay would be the technology on hand twenty years from now.

I think it all depends. Some kids might check out anime, and some won't. Just because the parents like it, doesn't mean the kids will. It's as you said near the end of your post, the population has other experiances or things. And if kids are any indication, I can tell you right now, there are some that won't touch anything that their parents or grandparents were into, no matter how cool they thought it was. Ignorant I know, but it happens.

Quote:
Why do people refer to a series that came out first as a prequel. The second Star Wars Trilogy where prequels, while the Hobbit isn't a prequel, it came out first and the Lord of the Rings came out after. Shonan Ju-mi Gumi came out in the early 90's several years before GTO.

I wonder what people would say if the new Hobbit movie was called Hobbit: The Early Years. Followed by The Silmarillion: The Earliest Years.

It's funny you should mention this, because I just recently read the updates on the movie adaptation of The Hobbit, and they always use the term 'prequel' when describing it. It drives me nuts too, because as a Tolkien reader, I know that The Hobbit was written, and came before The Lord of the Rings. The movie adaptation of The Hobbit is being released after the trilogy, yes, but it's not a prequel because as a novel it was written and released before it's epic trilogy sequel. The movie adaptation just happened to me made after the trilogy, but it's not a prequel, and yet they still refer to it as such.

Quote:
I wonder what people would say if the new Hobbit movie was called Hobbit: The Early Years. Followed by The Silmarillion: The Earliest Years.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one not liking that much. You've got a point, the way they are treating it, (and other supposed "prequels" that actually came before). Those titles are funny though.

Last edited by Youkai Warrior on Thu May 26, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Have not started listening yet, but I think Charlene's Unicorn giggle tag is still up in regards to the language content used.

I love unicorns as much as much as the next girl, but I'm guessing it was just looked over.

I will now start listening.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
aye the 90's such a great time hell the turn of century wasn't to bad we had higurashi, shana, azumanga daioh in the frist half of the turn. On subject I still own a lot of my vhs tapes and even laser disc movies my cousin imported for me. I am not going to say anime has changed that much since the 90's but the only new fact is that we are more exposed to what's really out there and Finally can tell what's great from really really shitty ones due to streaming and other methods. If I had to pick a top favorite from the 90's i am sure most have never heard of it would be blue-seed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
my expression hearing Ed Chavez likes Keroro = Very Happy
my expression hearing that the manga didn't sell very well and probably wont get saved= Anime cry
(man, and they were getting into a really interesting new arc in Japan now too...)

speaking of Tokyopop for a bit though, Sgt. Frog 21 didn't come out in the U.S. (which was slated for May 10th) but I'm hearing rumors that it came out in the U.K. along with some amazon marketplace listings from the UK saying they have it too, yet none of the UK online stores have any cover-art (can any UK users tell me if they've seen it in stores? please?).
Do you think TP's UK branch will continue to publish the manga in english or are they just trickling out whatever the US branch gave them at the last minute?

never really got into GTO when it first came out, maybe I'll check it out now that I'm older. thanks Vertical :3
------
Interesting that Nick brought up Tezuka and eroticism, because when I checked out Fushigi na Melmo (Tezuka's answer to magical girls) and there was some nude scenes that made me feel a little uncomfortable and I wasn't sure to interpret it as artistic or early lolicon fanservice. I probably should watch it again to try and see I can find some of the things you were talking about.

And I will say that I think the Earthian manga is an ok BL example of what you were talking about too (those terrible OAVs not so much) or atleast I think it has some interesting things to say about gender and homosexuality at times.
---------
and yes I remember Psychic Academy because it was the worst manga I had ever read (at the time) and when I saw the anime DVDs in a discount bin I wanted to scream. (then laugh because they were in a discount bin Razz)

I think only that Aquarian Age manga did well over here? (Juvenile Orion? I think was the subtitle for it) or atleast it seemed that way to me because alot of my friends had it and they made a calendar for it that I had. so maybe thats why they kept bringing over the anime that no one wanted. *shrug*
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should feel rather fortunate that my kids seem to be gravitating to anime. Smile Of course, my 13-year-old daughter is more of an anomaly when it comes to her peers. She hates the pop culture things that her peers like (such as Justin Bieber and American Idol), and would rather watch anime and listen to music her parents listen to.

So for those of you, like me, who already have kids, as well as those who may have them in the future: have the anime and manga around, be open about your interest with your kids, but don't force them to watch or read if they don't want to. Just hope that they come to a point where they become curious and want to learn more about your interest.

Youkai Warrior wrote:
I think it all depends. Some kids might check out anime, and some won't. Just because the parents like it, doesn't mean the kids will. It's as you said near the end of your post, the population has other experiances or things. And if kids are any indication, I can tell you right now, there are some that won't touch anything that their parents or grandparents were into, no matter how cool they thought it was. Ignorant I know, but it happens.

Last edited by ljaesch on Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Interesting that Nick brought up Tezuka and eroticism, because when I checked out Fushigi na Melmo (Tezuka's answer to magical girls) and there was some nude scenes that made me feel a little uncomfortable and wasn't sure to interpret it as artistic or early lolicon fanservice. Probably should watch it again to try and see I can find some of the things you were talking about.

I've heard it bandied around that Melmo was intended by Tezuka to function as "introductory sex ed" for young children, exploring the process of growing up physically. With that in mind, I'd say that the nudity (in the manga, anyway) is meant to be non-sexual, and is meant to promote awareness and comfort with the adult/growing body for young girls. From what little snippits I've seen of the anime, though, there does seem to be a more fetishistic angle to scenes like Melmo growing too big for her clothes, etc.

(Though if you wanted to introduce the Tezuka "Star System" idea, adult-Melmo appears in some other works as a sexualized character. I'm thinking about Apollo's Song, where she spends a lot of her time unclothed, which is alternately played as sexual and as purely artistic and almost spiritual-- the cover has her posed as the Birth of Venus, for instance. Evidently Tezuka sees Melmo as a sexual character, since he has her star in a book about sex. So there you go?)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I had not ever heard that Unicorn was on PSN either.

I loved Gundam Wing back when I was a kid but yeah, I re-watched it more recently and could not stand it at all.

I think SEED did pretty well, at least in Canada. I know it got kinda screwed by bad time slots and tacky editing in the states. Here though, it got a nice 9:00 time slot on YTV all the way through it's run and then they re-aired the entire thing in the same time slot and then they aired Destiny afterwards.

I'm also one of those mid-90s group. I think I'm one of the smaller minority remaining though. The impression I get is that the fanbase these days is mostly younger teenage fans with a pocket of much older fans. Obviously you see anime targeting teens a whole lot these days. I think you also always have the old guard fans who've been into it for so long that they're never going to go away.

I get the impression though that with the way the industry has gone a lot of those fans who got into anime on the big boom in the 90s kinda moved away. The industry slumping kinda coincided with them reaching an age where one either grows out of this stuff or becomes a long time fan and so a lot of them ended up doing the prior. I agree that as Zac said there's still a huge nostalgia market among these people for the shows from the 90s but I think that these people are not actually actively involved in anime anymore.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel was a comedy because the games where delayed and they couldn't put the anime on hold so they just made it a comedy instead of trying to make it like the games. Super Robot Wars Original Generation volume 5 is scarce because that would be the volume that has the Valsion battle which kicks ass because they actually based it on how you actually fight the thing in the game.

Zac should try to find a few clips of My Little Pony: FiM especially the songs which are usually excellent especially "At the gala", and "Art of the Dress".
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I think ikillchicken is on to something here. I'm thinking about the other anime fans that I personally know in my area (most of them from my church, of all places), are around the age of my older daughter, or have graduated from high school within the past 2-3 years. One of those high school graduates got married last year, and had an anime wedding (the bride cosplayed as Edward Elric, the groom was Roy Mustang, and the wedding party cosplayed as other FMA characters. Unfortunately, the officiant didn't get the memo that it was anime wedding, and dressed up as a Jedi knight. I wasn't personally able to go to the wedding due to having another commitment, but I saw pics of the wedding on the bride's Facebook page.

At the other end of the spectrum, I learned that the assistant leader of my older daughter's Girl Scout troop is also an anime fan (as is the rest of her family). During Girl Scout cookie sales, my husband was able to "talk shop" with the assistant leader, swapping opinions on Voltron and Robotech.

ikillchicken wrote:
I'm also one of those mid-90s group. I think I'm one of the smaller minority remaining though. The impression I get is that the fanbase these days is mostly younger teenage fans with a pocket of much older fans. Obviously you see anime targeting teens a whole lot these days. I think you also always have the old guard fans who've been into it for so long that they're never going to go away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
immortalrite

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I was very glad to hear that the GTO franchise is in the process of being license-rescued. I am about half way through purchasing the original manga and it is quite good. Extremely, surprisingly good. Hopefully now someone will pick up the anime as well, seeing as I would prefer not to spend $100+ on one of the second-hand copies floating around.

The only Gundam series I have seen in its entirety is 00 (the first season) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had heard that it was vastly superior to its immediate predecessors, so I was somewhat disappointed that it was basically absent from Brian's discussion. Also, having heard nothing but good things about Unicorn I was going to check it out, but stopped as I was unsure as to how much of the original story one ought to be familiar with beforehand: the first series (or movie trilogy), Zeta, double Zeta (supposedly the "worst Gundam ever"), and Char's Counterattack. Perhaps someone more familiar with the franchise could shed some light on how much of this is really necessary...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't deny the nostalgia argument. It's why I got Orguss, Utena 2.0, Dragon Half, the Ah Megami OAVs, and all of Nuku Nuku. Plus, I'm considering Curse of the Undead Yoma, and even weighing whether or not to finally get Ushio and Tora since I missed that the first time around. Hell, half the stuff which is too old to be remembered by the 90s generation is finding a new audience now, simply because moe put a lot of the creative elements of the industry on life support.

Hannah: Didn't even know you knew about Neuro in the first place, because, as Zac noted, it's not very talked-about in American fandom. Hell, the only reason I heard of it was because of a "cameo" in one of the bonus spots in the Muhyo and Roji manga. And yeah, I really do love its macabre, but goofy, adventures. I wasn't as fond of the latter, but if you like that stuff, I also recommend Pet Shop of Horrors, Descendants of Darkness, and the Vampire Princess Miyu tv show, assuming you haven't seen it already.

Geo:
Quote:
As for TokyoPop titles I'd love to see given another chance, there's Immortal Rain, Saiyuki, and Cyborg 009 (not that anyone will touch this specific title, though, just ask Ed himself).

I wanna finish Lupin's World Most Wanted and have someone bring the sequel over to Mamotte Shugogetten.

Quote:
It's funny because it utterly bombed over here, though TokyoPop did actually release that last volume, unlike many of their other titles (no insult towards fans of those other titles)...

They kept the run small enough on the last volume so they wouldn't lose money on it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
I was very glad to hear that the GTO franchise is in the process of being license-rescued. I am about half way through purchasing the original manga and it is quite good. Extremely, surprisingly good. Hopefully now someone will pick up the anime as well, seeing as I would prefer not to spend $100+ on one of the second-hand copies floating around.

The only Gundam series I have seen in its entirety is 00 (the first season) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had heard that it was vastly superior to its immediate predecessors, so I was somewhat disappointed that it was basically absent from Brian's discussion. Also, having heard nothing but good things about Unicorn I was going to check it out, but stopped as I was unsure as to how much of the original story one ought to be familiar with beforehand: the first series (or movie trilogy), Zeta, double Zeta (supposedly the "worst Gundam ever"), and Char's Counterattack. Perhaps someone more familiar with the franchise could shed some light on how much of this is really necessary...

Gundam 00 first season was great, but the second season was really bad, they removed the question of the morality of what Celestial Being was doing, and made them the good guys while the world governments where made into the villains. The Gundam 00 Raiser was overpowered and the Innovators where fairly weak villains. Honestly I thought Gundam Seed Destiny was actually better than Gundam 00 Season 2.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
My fiance actually owns Galaxy Angel Rune volume 4, and maybe he'll part with it if that series is truly as much a huge piece of crap as Mike Toole says it is. I shall have proof over the weekend.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Zac should try to find a few clips of My Little Pony: FiM especially the songs which are usually excellent especially "At the gala", and "Art of the Dress".

I think the show's actually a bit entertaing but Zac doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who bends to the peer pressure of getting involved with the next " Big Giant Thing that the Internet Will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT!!".

And I watched Zeta Gundam last year and...I really have no motivation to watch anymore UC after that. That show was a pretty big mess.

...it could've used one or two less Psycho Girlfriends...

...and maybe, I don't know...AN EPILOGUE.

I'll just stick to the "lesser" AU nonsense thank you very much.

And 00 rocked.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:

Also, having heard nothing but good things about Unicorn I was going to check it out, but stopped as I was unsure as to how much of the original story one ought to be familiar with beforehand: the first series (or movie trilogy), Zeta, double Zeta (supposedly the "worst Gundam ever"), and Char's Counterattack. Perhaps someone more familiar with the franchise could shed some light on how much of this is really necessary...

Truth be told, Gundam is a nigh inaccessable franchise when it comes to the UC stuff unless you start at the beginning. While skipping the first TV series is possible, it helps to have seen it since a lot of Unicorn comes from a character reintroduced in Double Zeta, which will seem really out of place since that person is first introduced in First Gundam. Watching all four shows might not make Unicorn better, but it definately helps understand the universe and how it works. Luckily, First and Zeta have movie compilations out there, so that might not be such a huge time investment.

Double Zeta gets a lot of flack for being silly in the first half before it matures, but it isn't a horrible series by any stretch. Just take the first half with a grain of salt, then enjoy a second half that ramps up standard Tomino nonsensical plotting. Honestly, unless you have the time to sit through a lot of stuff, UC will probably not be the best place to get your Gundam fix. The AU stories however require no prereqs to enjoy, so myabe that could be more up new fans alleys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5