• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: Club 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Shaenon K. Garrity? O.o My! I love your "All the comics in the world" articles and the "overlooked manga festival" Very Happy

I heard before about Club 9 but unfortunately I was too late to the party for that one, and a country away. I don't see much posibilities for it to be reprinted though... it hasn't a huge fandom like Sailor Moon, is not old enough to be considered an "old classic" not new enough for editorials like Viz, and the topic might be too "adult" too be sold to younger readers while too inocent to pick the interest of the "adult" audience and kids looking for the forbiden fruit. Maybe in 5 or 10+ years more when it's old enough to really capitalize in the nostalgia factor.

Haruo really does look like Francine it's really amazing, more as they were published at the same time and I really doubt any author knew of the other...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is an old one. I can't even remember where I got a copy.... Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
At first I'll admit I was turned off by the kinda ugly covers for Club 9, but then I read What's Michael? since I love cats and found quite possibly the best cat comic series ever created in any language. So then when I saw Club 9 a couple of Otakons ago, I got it without question, despite still finding the covers unappealing. I still loved the expressions throughout, but somehow it just makes the covers look ugly.

Anyway, I absolutely loved Haruo! One thing was Kobayashi's subtle understanding of the difference between "stupid" and "naive", which I feel so many mangaka mess up by making a naive character just plain stupid, but with Haruo, I didn't get the stupid impression at all, and not just because she's in college. She's almost certainly naive, but once she learns something, she doesn't have to be re-taught it every single chapter like an actually stupid character might, though she might not quite understand that you only light someone's cigarette like that when you're in the club (lol!)

I was quite fortunate to get the entire volumes 4 and 5 via an eBay bid for all the Super Manga Blast that had them (yay!) so I actually got to finish the series and it's really a shame that neither it not What's Michael? is ever likely to get a reprint here in the states. Kobayashi is really a master of facial expressions and comedy that I just don't really see anymore.

So yeah, everyone go out and read this, I recall that TRSI had Club 9 in their Christmas specials this past Christmas and I'll bet people passed the poor thing up. If they do it again this year, hopefully this injustice will be corrected.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
I love Club 9, I rank it as "don't drink anything while reading" funny.

I think Club 9 is actually still in print as The right Stuff still lists it on their site.

For those of you in the San Francisco area the Cartoon Art Museum store has the three volumes in their Manga for Older Teens and Adults section.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for filling in for me this week while I'm doing King of RPGs 2 launch stuff, Shaenon! I love Club 9 too, and it's a shame the conclusion was never reprinted as a graphic novel.
John Jakala

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Club 9 may technically be out of print but copies of all three volumes are still available via TFAW and the "nick & dent" editions are only $3.20 apiece through May.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1