• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Teams up with Sojitz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuoSagara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
The problem ADV faces is that cell phones do not (yet) represent the ubiquitous platform that they do in Japan. Also, since Japan has a MUCH stronger public transportation usage rate, things like content on your cell phone that you can view while riding the train is are more alluring than here in the US. It's a market with potential, (just look at companies like Disney moving into the iPod content market) but how much potential remains to be seen.

Well, from what I've heard they are cracking down on cell phone usage on trains in Japan. I'd really like some confirmation on that. But yes, their portable technology is used much more there than it is in the states.

Dragonxtc: Yeah, I did kinda raise my own contradiction. But hopefully (all this hoping -_-) podcasts, wireless anime downloads, and mobile viewing are growing in the U.S. to where in a few years it may actually be a worthwhile investment. At this time, though, it doesn't seem to be worthy of financial consideration. Maybe this partnership is a good preparation step for what could be happening in the future, I would guess 3-5 years down the road. Right now it's not wireless that's the new format. We're being introduced to blu-ray as the newest gizmo. We'll just have to wait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4