• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto [and its filler. What's your opinion?]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloud506

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching naruto now for a while now and just when it starts to get real good, the fight ends and i have to watch what seems like a 100 filler episodes. I recently finished watching the episodes when Naruto and Sasuke fight, which was easily the best fight of the series so far. Then the action and "edge of your seat" type story just drops off and now i'm watching a ramen cook-off. All i want is for the filler episodes to end and let me get back to the real action. If there is anyone out there who feels my pain, please even if it's not Naruto thats doing it to ya, i just want to make sure i'm not the only one feeling like this let me know!!!

[EDIT: Changed your title to be a little more specific. Just screaming "Naruto!!!" isn't exactly the best name for a subject you seem to be taking so seriously. -TK]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
You're not the only one to feel the pain of the Naruto fillers. They turned an otherwise awesome show into one that I actually view as one of the worst I've ever seen. The bleach fillers weren't bad at first either... but... well if you watch them you know what I mean.

It's a good question though in my mind, why do they extend shows like Naruto way way more than they should and cut off shows like Twelve Kingdoms? (I know there are other circumstances, but they could be worked around quite easily in my experience)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I dislike the Naruto anime, but I really feel for the fans. I'm pretty much a fan exclusively for the manga, and if you go by the 1 ep= 3 chapters rule, the manga is a FULL SEASON ahead of the anime. Why do they feel the need to drag it out by 50 episodes when they are already far behind as it is?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
It's a good question though in my mind, why do they extend shows like Naruto way way more than they should and cut off shows like Twelve Kingdoms? (I know there are other circumstances, but they could be worked around quite easily in my experience)

Why you ask? Because the shows are popular and they want to make money. Producers don't give a crap as long as they make money. Their excuse: giving the manga time to get ahead of the tv series enough for the series to keep going to keep raking in the cash.

In my mind they should do what Hunter X Hunter did. Stop the series without adding filler and then release sequel series in either OVA form or new TV series. As for feeling the pain suck it up. I have many ways to numb the pain which is to watch other quality series out there. Best series to numb this pain of yours are comedy series. One such series that numbed the pain was Azumanga Daioh. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I feel your pain also. But you have to understand that the Naruto anime is based on the manga by Masashi Kishimoto which is being serialized every week in Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan. The anime just got to a point where it caught up to the manga, and animation studios need a good idea of what the upcoming story is about in order to invest money into animating it. You gotta understand that it's all politics. Plus, if you've read the manga at this point, you'll realize that the story takes an important turn and animating the new part of the story would be meaningless if the beginning was just lengthened. Animators know that the fans wanna see the real story animated.

If the anime frustrates you that much, I recommend either reading the manga or finding other anime series to keep you interested. If you like Naruto, I highly recommend watching Hunter x Hunter, Bleach, One Piece, or Eyeshield. These anime series are also published in manga form in Weekly Shonen Jump, and the animes are very, very good. If you like action series like Naruto, then you'll definitely like these ones. Plus, in my opinion, Hunter x Hunter and One Piece have superior storylines and characters to Naruto.

Just look at it this way. Once the anime goes back to the manga story, there won't be any filler for a very long time.

By the way, I thought that the Ramen episode was HILARIOUS. It's one of my personal favorite filler episodes. Just my opinion tho.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
AskJohn@AnimeNation wrote:
Japan's anime industry typically doesn't promote storyline changes within ongoing series, for example, the way American superhero comics often do. The Japanese media will hype a new anime based on an earlier game or manga, but usually storyline changes within ongoing shows don't merit major media attention. For that reason, when the Naruto anime switches to episodes directly adapted from the original manga, fans will probably have no more than a week's notice, and the change could come virtually at any time. But there may be little reason for Studio Pierrot artists to rush to conclude original anime storylines.

Naruto is one of the most popular and successful current anime in Japan. Naruto is also a mainstream anime targeted at pre-adolescent Japanese boys. Merely noticing the relative scarcity of coverage Naruto gets in Japanese anime magazines like Newtype and Animage implies that the Naruto anime is not highly popular among Japan's hardcore otaku community. Naruto is most popular with average, mainstream Japanese viewers who seemingly don't mind original storylines. If the Naruto television series is still just as popular in Japan while it's broadcasting anime exclusive storylines, there's probably little motivation for Studio Pierrot animators to stop producing original storylines. In fact, the longer the anime original episodes continue, the more time Masashi Kishimoto has to author additional chapters of the manga, which in turn will give animators more material to work with in the coming years. Furthermore, Studio Pierrot artists may enjoy exercising their own creativity in creating original Naruto adventures instead of slavishly adapting Kishimoto's work. So it may actually be in the best interest of Studio Pierrot to delay adapting the Naruto manga for as long as possible.
Personally, I'm going to watch up to 135, ask my masochist friends which filler episodes are worth it, watch those, and skim through the rest. And to "kill the pain," I'll fire up some shorter, more serious series (in order to contrast against Naruto), such as Kino's Journey and Mermaid's Forest.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Cloud506 wrote:
. All i want is for the filler episodes to end and let me get back to the real action.

Those of us who are Inu Yasha fans know your pain.

Really, we do.
Code001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:
If you like Naruto, I highly recommend watching Bleach.

While I agree with this, isn't Bleach going through a filler phase as well with those spoiler[bount] or whatever they're called?

Zalis116 wrote:
Personally, I'm going to watch up to 135, ask my masochist friends which filler episodes are worth it, watch those, and skim through the rest. And to "kill the pain," I'll fire up some shorter, more serious series (in order to contrast against Naruto), such as Kino's Journey and Mermaid's Forest.

That's EXACTLY what I'm doing at the moment. I also feel the shorter anime series are a breath of fresh air when it comes to the extremely long ones such as Bleach, Naruto, etc. etc.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis, nice.

While it should be common sense, it's a lot easier to see when you read that. The only problem I see is, generally, the animation studios original ideas aren't very good =P But hey..

I don't whine and complain about the fillers, about their necessity. Most I don't care for, but there isn't much that can be done. For those saying "why don't they just stop making them, wait until later when more manga is released like other shows", well...who's stopping you from personally not watching the filler and waiting until the story is continued?

My biggest complaints are the at times shoddy animation, horrible comic relief moments and stupid villains. Not that the villains themselves are stupid, but the character as a whole. I'm sick of seeing "summoners". The peacocks. This newest arc. The stupid fish monster/summoner man in the arc with Anko. The curry of life one, kind of half and half. I miss seeing actual physical blows and moreso the intrigue of "what just happened" or "I need to trick them by doing [...]". I don't expect a very good story because none of the characters can really mature, learn anything new or behavely different because that's just how fillers work.

And yeah, I'm sure every fan of the show knows what you're feeling. When did you start with it? I got caught up around episode 97 and have been watching it weekly(or 3-4 at a time) since. A year+ of fillers so far, with atleast a few more episodes of this particular arc...it gets tiring. I'm going to rewatch the 100-135ish(or so, when the fillers started) soon because while I've rewatched other parts, I haven't seen this again.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
AskJohn@AnimeNation wrote:
Furthermore, Studio Pierrot artists may enjoy exercising their own creativity in creating original Naruto adventures instead of slavishly adapting Kishimoto's work.

As much as I would like to believe that, I find it difficult to believe that the artists are really exercising any sort of creativity. Rather, it seems more like they are taking a vacation. These plots are very straightforward and do not really build upon the Naruto world at all (I'm still trying to figure out why someone thought a star village was a great idea). My biggest issue is that the fillers do not expand on the Naruto world at all and are rather centered and derivative (does Naruto honestly have to go on EVERY mission? In fact why does every episode have to involve a mission?). Also the animation quality is a big factor. I mean just recently we get to see characters actually throw kunai again (once again the star village arc, we only got the sound and the after image of it, no real animation), And 2 weeks ago we couldn't even see a certain someone get hit over the head with a rock. This isn't because I want to see violence, but it's just obvious laziness that results in terrible visuals for a visual medium. Not a successful formula. But hey they know the fans will watch it regardless, so why put out the effort? They're still gonna get ratings.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure who exactly you were asking Vortextk, but since noone else said anything I might as well answer you: I've been watching this show since episode 66. I watched all 66 of those episodes in two days, and for the next 80ish episodes I was a devoted fan and never once in a year and a halfish waited until Friday to get it. I may not have started from the VERY beginning, but I've been watching it every week for a year and a half, and the fact that the show has degraded to the point that I cannot physically make myself sit through an episode makes me sick.

Also, as much as I'd like to believe the fillers are opportunities for the animators to show their stuff, it's been pathetic at best. The animation degrades at times to the point it's hard to even tell who's who, they periodically get different voice actors for characters that don't even need to show up, they have trivialized every major dramatic move or event I can think of by having them appear in situations that don't require them, they undo all the progess the characters have made in their development over the previous 100 episodes, and they make up moves because they personally seem to think it'll be neat. It's just not right.

People have said that it's based off the manga and that there are something like 3 manga per episode, that's not really true for Naruto; at least in Naruto's case the ratio was somewhere near 1.6 to 1.8 (I don't remember exactly). When the fillers first started to come out it took only a few seconds of calculation to predict where the anime would catch up to the manga and it was somewhere in the order of 120 episodes. The point is, there always was room 2 more full years worth of the show to go on before they were even close to catching up. Someone might say "but it's now or later", how long is this series going to go? I'll be extatic if it goes on without any more fillers for 4 years (and magically maintains the same quality it had before the fillers), but somehow I just can't see that happening.

jeromeskee, you're right in the sense that if it annoys me I should just not watch it, so I don't any more. I'm willing to "give up" on shows that have already been finished like HxH and Twelve Kingdoms (though I love those shows to death), but I will NEVER shut up or stop complaining about shows that are going on because they can still be changed. I'm not silly enough to think that my ranting and bitching and moaning on a forum is going to do much, but if the show isn't over, then nothing's set in stone. So I'll do all that's within my power to try and keep them from ruining it any farther.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:30 am Reply with quote
Cloud506 wrote:
I've been watching naruto now for a while now and just when it starts to get real good, the fight ends and i have to watch what seems like a 100 filler episodes. I recently finished watching the episodes when Naruto and Sasuke fight, which was easily the best fight of the series so far. Then the action and "edge of your seat" type story just drops off and now i'm watching a ramen cook-off. All i want is for the filler episodes to end and let me get back to the real action. If there is anyone out there who feels my pain, please even if it's not Naruto thats doing it to ya, i just want to make sure i'm not the only one feeling like this let me know!!!

lol are you the guy that wrote to Answerman, asking him to write to the Naruto producers to stop making fillers Laughing

PS: I feels your pain.
Villhelmya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
Here is the genral plot of the longer fillers...

-Naruto sent on misson as no one else is availble
-The team meets suporting character/characters
-the suporting role is angry/depressed at the konoha ninjas
-ominous shadow
*end of episode*
-A character is kidnaped/important object stolen/desroyed
-Naruto chases cuprit
-kajin no bujitsu (or what ever) CHARGE!!!
-all replications destroyed and naruto realises this tactic wont work.....again
-Learn of attackers power
*end of episode*
-Realise why supporting character is angry/depressed
*end of episode*
-Maby more flashbacks (only if were lucky)
*end of episode*
-One of the ninjas realise the enemys weakness
-Naruto exploits the weaknes, therefore destroying an otherwise powerful ninja in one blow
*end of episode*
-Supporting character has revalation and the entire villages problems drift away
-Farewells are made and the great tacticions and higly trained ninjas leave
-Tsnade-sama makes an angry coment/ has prank pulled on her as an atempt for comedy and wrap up the story
*end of episode*

(Times the number of episodes with plots like episode 3,4 and 5 of the arc by the number of enimies/ supporting characters)

Repeat thouroghly 5-6 times over

P.S. what was the Bleach filler, iv watched also far, and theve all been particually gd so im confused
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote
Mmmm, my personal rule of thumb, If you don't enjoy it any more, STOP WATCHING IT! After sitting through a couple of filler episodes, and my friends who had seen it further said it was just more filler coming up, I decided to watch something else.

You're meant to be enjoying it right? If you say it is painful to watch now, do yourself a favour and STOP...
goins007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
yeah I feel your pain, i'm looking forward to the fillers finishing up. I guess the new rumor is about 12 or 13 more weeks. Which makes sense, since in the manga they've spoiler[already fought sasuke once and lost, and naruto has to under go more training that only he can do. And sakura too, man she does however kick major ass now!]. So that will give the animation team pleanty to keep them busy for a good while.

Anyway my fav arcs are:
Bikōchū Arc: Episodes 148-151 - We get to see Hinta do some very impressive moves at the end of the arc.

Sea Country Arc: Episodes 169-173 - I liked this one because you finally get to see how Anko got that cursed seal of hers and her relationship with Orochimaru. And see some of the things that Orochimaru had been upto before he was found out by the village.

Konoha Moving Center Arc: Episodes 187-191: This was is ok, Naruto fights someone that spoiler[probably would have killed him since none of his attacks seemd to have any effect on the guy.] Again Hinta is in this one and you see, again how far she's come as a fighter.

The other ones arn't to bad, some of them are funny. I kinda liked the Burning Pot: Episode 168 episode. It was a stand alone one where Naruto, Sakura, and Choji enter a cook off.

Wikipedia has a good write up on all the naruto story archs. So you should go read up on that and pick out the ones you like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5