• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strategos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
You are reading WAY to deep into their question. They are simply asking if they have the honorifics in tact or not. I don't believe they said "I refuse to support a show without honorifics in the subtitles". Don't jump down people's throats for nothing.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
Karasuhebi wrote:

BTW, in the article you said they didn't include Naruto's "Believe it!" in the sub for the show. So what did they do with translating "dattebayo!"? Did they just leave it untranslated or just completely ignored it like most fansubs group did?

-Karasuhebi

Tell me, how would you translate dattebayo? I've seen several million debates about this, and i've always thought it was more of a manner of speech. Enlighten briefly please
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
Karasuhebi wrote:

BTW, in the article you said they didn't include Naruto's "Believe it!" in the sub for the show. So what did they do with translating "dattebayo!"? Did they just leave it untranslated or just completely ignored it like most fansubs group did?

-Karasuhebi

Tell me, how would you translate dattebayo? I've seen several million debates about this, and i've always thought it was more of a manner of speech. Enlighten briefly please

He's just asking what they did with it for the subtitles. He's not complaining (yet, anyway).
belisarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
You are reading WAY to deep into their question. They are simply asking if they have the honorifics in tact or not. I don't believe they said "I refuse to support a show without honorifics in the subtitles". Don't jump down people's throats for nothing.

You may notice I preceeded my comments with "If this is a deal breaker...". The word "if" there suggests that my comments apply only in the event that honorifics are that important. If these guys are just asking out of curiosity, no biggy, my comments don't apply to them at all. On the other hand, I'm sure we've both met fans, in person and on the internet, who DO take that stance. So it's not unreasonable to expect some people on this website might fall into that category. And besides, if the internet has taught me anything, it's that a measured and moderate response is far less entertaining for everyone involved.
Vantos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
I, for one, am happy to see this release.

Anyhow, "dattebayo" is simply the exclamation particle "yo" affixed to "datteba". "Datteba" functions very much like the much-better known "desu", but it has more of a declarative tone to it, as evidenced by this search. In my opinion, treating it like "desu" or as an exclamation is the best option.

Just my two cents.
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
Answers to everyone's questions on translation or honorifics:

Obviously no one in this thread, (save maybe the dude who reviewed this), has seen it yet, so everything is pretty much speculation if not pointed out in the review.

I'm really thinking about getting eps 27-39 box set myself, when it comes out. Pretty solid block of episodes, plus, as was stated, good pricing, esp for uncut anime. Anime smile
belisarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Vantos wrote:
I, for one, am happy to see this release.

Anyhow, "dattebayo" is simply the exclamation particle "yo" affixed to "datteba". "Datteba" functions very much like the much-better known "desu", but it has more of a declarative tone to it, as evidenced by this search. In my opinion, treating it like "desu" or as an exclamation is the best option.

Just my two cents.

Anime Nation's Ask John feature had a question about it, which basically said the same thing. Find it here http://animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1139
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
There aren't any honorifics in the subs. Dattebayo isn't translated in the subtitles either.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
*breathes deeply* Ah, a no-nonsense, no-frills, no-kidding-around box set of a series everyone wants and looks like a set everyone can enjoy, but I bet people will STILL complain simply because it costs. Either that, or it'll be some asinine reason that will make absolutely no sense.

I may consider getting one of these boxes for my dad, even though he's starting to get tired of it's molasses pacing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
People will complain simply to justify not buying the series they claim to be fans of.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
By uncut openings and endings, do you mean Viz actually subbed the songs this time?
Maximum_Anderring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"English – rather “English”..."

Is this ever going to be fixed? I feel like a huge nitpicker for ragging on about this for three posts now...
Trunks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:
I´ve been having doubts about purchasing the show, and I think i won´t. I read the manga so Cartoon Network´s run is good enough for me.

I know it will be a really long series to collect, and let´s not forget all those fillers everyone can´t wait to see stop.

Well, to be fair the only fillers (except for the really short Tea Race arc) that have been made are all after the Sound Five arc, so you can simply just ignore those by not buying them. Kinda like the last season of Kenshin. ;P
energydan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I have found plenty of things to complain about regarding the subtitles on this set, but that isn't going to stop me from buying it.

Instead, I'm just going to edit the subtitles to my liking, and reauthor the dvds. That way I'm supporting the anime companies but getting the quality that I'd like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Maximum_Anderring wrote:
Quote:
"English – rather “English”..."

Is this ever going to be fixed? I feel like a huge nitpicker for ragging on about this for three posts now...

It doesn't need to be fixed. It says exactly what I mean. What the quotes mean is obvious.

Engrish is a slang term and I didn't want to use it in the review. It isn't a real word (not to mention it's been used before on other professional sites and I've heard from fellow journalists that they've been called racist for using it, believe it or not).

Quote:

People will complain simply to justify not buying the series they claim to be fans of.

This is why I think a lot of people are jumpy about the fans complaining about this release. They obviously went out of their way to make something hardcores couldn't really complain about; they subbed the songs, included all the original openings and endings (and their subtitle job on the opening is FAR less cluttered and intrusive than it is on your average fansub), put 13 episodes and some cool extras in a box set for a reasonable price and even included the dub for fans who wanted that.

And yet most of us are pretty sure that our suspicions about some of the so-called "hardcores" are true; that ultimately they have some serious issues with hypocrisy and selfishness. They complained for ages about how they wanted a release exactly like this and now it's time for them to put their money where their mouth is and justify all that endless complaining and bashing and badmouthing. In my eyes, they don't have a lot of credit left; they claim they're going to support something "if the R1 companies do it right" and yet somehow nothing ever meets their impossible standards, because even when something like this comes out they change their standards a little bit, just enough to justify not buying the set. And to me, this release is really the final straw; if it doesn't sell, if the hardcores reject it because of some ridiculous impossible nitpicky thing, then that basically proves that there is absolutely no pleasing them regardless of what you do and it's a waste of time to try, thereby rendering their collective opinion on how anime should be released in the US totally moot.

They will have complained themselves into total irrelevancy.

So that, I think, is why this release is so important and so many of us are sensitive about comments like "oh well do the subs have honorifics, because...".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5