• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. SyFy Channel Lists No More Anime After June 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Now I have no reason acknowledge the existence of Scifi, they don't at least have Andromeda.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Strike Freedom Meister wrote:
Thankfully, there's a local anime shop here in Dallas which has been a God send. Love those guys and gals at the Anime Pop Shop in Addison. I really want to support the art but it's becoming harder.

I haven't been to the Anime Pop Shop. Are they good? I'm in Fort Worth.
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
I didn't even know they were airing Star Blazers until after it was already on for a couple weeks. And I watch Syfy all the time.

It's not just Syfy. ANN talked about the show coming a month or two out, but I didn't see any mention of it during the week it actually started airing again.

Perhaps I missed it or perhaps it wasn't deemed worthy of mention by the powers that be.

If there isn't one already, some sort of "now showing" feature should be added precisely to track and otherwise announce show changes and starts and related items. Shrug.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
SyFy is now dead to me starting June 10th I will never watch that [expletive] channel again even if there a few of there show I still like

*Turns away and start chanting*
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, at this time not even [as] is really advertising their anime. There hasn't been a promo for Bleach or FMA:B since like February. Maybe it appeared some in March and April, but not in May that I know of, and it's looking like the same will hold true in June.

Ani-Monday's promos were created when Ani-Monday debuted in 2007 and never changed. They often aired during whatever Sci Fi was showing on Monday night before Ani-Monday, and were known to occasionally pop up during movies and other shows as well, usually on the weekend. But ever since Sci Fi changed its name to "Syfy", they've gone away. It always kinda seemed like Ani-Monday didn't really fit in with the re-branded network, but it held on almost a year and a half before getting messed-with (moved to other days of the week) and eventually soon-to-be eliminated completely.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised this has happened. They just kept airing the same shows over and over which is why I hoped that they would have tried to get Funimation in on the deal given the limited selection of the others. Perhaps, the anime companies could have alternated each season to give everyone a chance to air their shows. Or have new shows in the in the first hour and older one in the second hour.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious. Why hasn't there many promos for the Ani-Monday block? Or better yet promos for each individual show? Are costs involved in order to advertise the block during time periods where more viewers are tuned in SyFy?
Shiyonasan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Anyway, I'm gonna miss this block. It introduced me two of some of my favorite anime of all time, Now and Then, Here and There and Monster. Figured it would end sooner or later, though.

SyFy introduced me to these two anime as well. I'm glad I got to watch Now and Then, Here and There and Monster while it was on there. Ani-Monday really has a great taste in anime.

Anyway, this is no surprise to me seeing as more and more people are watching their anime online. It's been a great programming block of anime while it's been around.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
While I never watched that channel or what was airing for anime (I go to sleep early) it is sad to see, but I guess expected. I wouldn't want to put up with the censorship and editing. Well at least there is still VOD which is better than nothing on cable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost surprised that it lasted this long. The block has disappeared for weeks at a time in the past, but usually for a particular purpose like some holiday marathon of horrible films or the like, but the pattern of what will take its place now seems more like just standard filler for the channel. I suppose that it must be dead.

I only watched it regularly for the first airing of Macross Plus and then Monster, which was a great way to end my Mondays for a good long while. I almost watched Now and Then, Here and There, but I couldn't quite bear the idea of having that experience disrupted by loud advertisements for wrestling and whatever else buys time on that wayward channel. I had always wanted Adult Swim to air that.

I mildly regret not having watched Chrono Crusade. I do love the roaring twenties and the chance of a competent, respectfully treated female protagonist. At the time, I just wasn't in the 'mood' and I think that I had confused myself into thinking that it was tied to the Chrono Trigger games and I don't care for game adaptations.

I don't like making indignant declaration about refusing to watch a given channel, the possibility of a twenty four hour Nazi network excluded, but with this, SyFy has for the time being relieved themselves of anything that I might want to watch. It's a slightly, insubstantially sad fate for a network that I have some very fond memories of and that introduced me to anime to begin with to have become another generic cable channel that I don't care about. Despite that, I'm willing to despairingly bet that if I were to look at their ratings, I'd find that they were being rewarded for it.

I keep expecting Adult Swim to end its own vestigial tail of an anime block, but it just limps on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's sad. SyFy helped me discover Gurren Lagann (probably my favorite anime ever), so I'll always remember it for that.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Starting in July G4 will start premiering the Marvel anime.

Yeah but you know G4 won't air the other anime they've had the rights to since it was TechTV's Anime Unleashed block. Mainly I'm thinking of RahXephon and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and a few others. So don't go praising G4 for airing anime yet, when they've held the rights of a few from the TechTV days and refused to either air them or give them up so another network could try to air them.

PMDR wrote:
If there isn't one already, some sort of "now showing" feature should be added precisely to track and otherwise announce show changes and starts and related items. Shrug.

If you mean a column on what anime are airing on tv, ANN used to have it. It was called "The Click", and it was ran by ANN's own Answerman Brian Hanson, back before he was the Answerman. He eventually shut down the column a couple years ago though, I'm guessing because it was so much work to find what anime was on every obscure channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
mpg13 wrote:
I cancelled broadcast/cable television more than a couple years ago. It's too bad that what little anime they had is almost gone but it's not a surprise. I feel the money in the TV budget is better spent on high speed internet service.

ljaesch wrote:
I think Botan24 hit the nail on the head. While the decline in anime on TV kind of started with the burst of the anime bubble, it seems the decline has been accelerated with more people turning to the Internet to see anime.

Yep, I also find that money is better spent on cable internet than cable TV. Interestingly, netflix now accounts for the largest source internet traffic in the US (not bittorrent as some may think) with 30% of peak downstream traffic
Maximym Meyham!!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
It does suck to see Anime not get much public broadcasting anymore, but is it for the better? That's hard for me to say too.

I'll be honest, Anime, as I would consider, is still rather niche in the US. It's cool to see fans of it, and well, I'm a fan of it, no duh, but if anything, and I don't mean anything hard with it, but I don't necessarily think Anime will receive any greater demand in the US until, urgh, it contributes a cultural impact onto US entertainment value.

I have a long winded explanation and solution for this.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Don't really care since they only show dubs, but....

They haven't had anything of interest to me since the last time they aired Robot Carnival.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6