• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. SyFy Channel Lists No More Anime After June 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the good times, Syfy, especially Gundam 00.
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Why am I not surprised. Even satelite tv is a "vast wasteland".Rolling Eyes
And this is why most of my entertainment and information comes from the internet nowadays.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Well I haven't had cable since I was 6 so this doesn't bother me. Only thing that really interests me is the Game Show network and maybe a couple other stations anyways that I usually watch while spending the night at my friends place.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising. The block was getting moved around, which is typically a bad sign. Then you throw in that SyFy seemed to be content airing the same shows bunches of times and it's more surprising that it lasted as long as it did.

I know that I pretty much forgot about it after it was moved from Monday night, and it certainly didn't keep me coming back when they insisted on showing one of the Street Fighter movies every other time. Heck, I didn't even tune in when they aired Chrono Crusade. I liked the selection, but since I've had the DVDs for years, it was hard to care.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Heheheh, it's not like ya guys watch much American TV in the first place.......... or at least so ya say. Laughing

keikanna44 wrote:
I'm not surprised. They were only showing older shows or shows that most people had likely seen a dozen times already. I remember watching Ergo Proxy on that station

No, that was The Fuse channel.

keikanna44 wrote:

and they cut so much out in order to run commercials that I was confused and lost most of the time. That's what got on my nerves. Now I don't know much about this but I think if these stations selected newer and current anime and had only one commercial break they would get higher viewer ratings.

Adult Swim actually does that. Dunno how much more that actually raises ratings.

keikanna44 wrote:

Like Animenetwork for example which previews shows before they are even released on DVD (High School of the Dead for example). People want to watch something they haven't seen yet, or something that is popular and they don't have access to illegally beforehand.

Everything can be accessed illegally beforehand. Laughing

keikanna44 wrote:

I think anime selection and timing is a big part of it. There's so much anime out there to choose from but most stations want to play it safe and avoid themes that might be questionable to some people.

Well, of course. The advertisers pay the bills. If the advertisers get flack for being associated with an incest ecchi anime, they'd leave. Laughing

_V_ wrote:

Well, we have to consolidate now.....unfortunately Adult Swim is only running Bleach (admittedly a big seller) and Kekkaishi.

And Inuyasha at 5am. Wink

_V_ wrote:

Yes, scifi is "a big tent" an there are many branches to Sci Fi & Fantasy. But there's a key difference between "broadening our subgenres" and "desperately trying to avoid anything science fiction or fantasy".

Alas, sci-fi doesn't sell anymore. Heck, look at Japan!
There was a lot of sci-fi anime in the 80's and early 90's; now it has been decreasing significantly.

_V_ wrote:

....unfortunately, the Adult Swim 2011 upfront didn't mention anime. Although it at least mentioned "TV shows" -- the 2010 upfront was just a big party with no news announcements.

Adult Swim Upfront doesn't need to mention anime, unless it already has an anime ready to go. Upfront is a roadmap for the rest of the year, but with anime since it's acquired rather than created from scratch, Adult Swim can acquire an anime and get it ready in as little as a couple of weeks. Anime doesn't need a roadmap - they don't need to plan it months in advance.

RogueJedi86 wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Starting in July G4 will start premiering the Marvel anime.

Yeah but you know G4 won't air the other anime they've had the rights to since it was TechTV's Anime Unleashed block. Mainly I'm thinking of RahXephon and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and a few others. So don't go praising G4 for airing anime yet, when they've held the rights of a few from the TechTV days and refused to either air them or give them up so another network could try to air them.

Why would they give 'em up, unless they can get partial reimbursement for fees paid? If I paid $1 million for 2 years, goddammit I'm keeping that thing for 2 years, unless I get some money back for returning it early. Laughing

RogueJedi86 wrote:

PMDR wrote:
If there isn't one already, some sort of "now showing" feature should be added precisely to track and otherwise announce show changes and starts and related items. Shrug.

If you mean a column on what anime are airing on tv, ANN used to have it. It was called "The Click", and it was ran by ANN's own Answerman Brian Hanson, back before he was the Answerman. He eventually shut down the column a couple years ago though, I'm guessing because it was so much work to find what anime was on every obscure channel.

There's also the intuitively named AnimeOnTV.com Laughing

ZeroGee wrote:
And this is why most of my entertainment and information comes from the internet nowadays.

It becomes a circular logic. As more people get their entertainment from the internet, it becomes harder for TV channels to attract audiences, so they drop poor shows left and right in desperate search for those few shows that would actually get more than a few people to stick.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat May 28, 2011 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohji

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
Check out what Australia's airing. All free-to-air, btw.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
ahh >___< anime seems to be dying out on tv now...the internet is taking over. I mean you can watch what you want, when you want it. And if you use Hulu or something you only have to deal with pretty short ads.

Toonami died...Adult swim's lineup shortened (along with a bunch of reruns), and anime that would play on other channels...gone, and no more anime on SyFy.

I remember watching Gurren Laggan and Gundam 00 on SyFy, good stuff. :]

I don't really watch TV anymore, but this will be sad if syfy really is removing the anime lineup.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
monkeyshinobi wrote:

Toonami died...Adult swim's lineup shortened

Actually, Adult Swim's lineup lengthened - they're up to 9pm now, more hours. It's just the anime part that shortened.

monkeyshinobi wrote:

I don't really watch TV anymore, but this will be sad if syfy really is removing the anime lineup.

If people are not really watching, why keep it? Laughing
Prede

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Kinda skimmed the first pages of this story's replies ...but why is everyone so sure this is the end of anime on Sci-Fi. The story doesn't confirm or deny that. Just that it's not listed (which can also change) They did this before, last summer IIRC. Anime took a brake over the summer months last year. Anime is not a full year thing for them. TV shows in general take brakes in the summer, and it seems sci-fi treats their anime block as such. And yes it may not be getting great numbers, it may be struggling. But we don't really know that. Besides there's no evidence this is the END of the anime block on the channel. It may return, and like i said my guess is the fall. I sure hope it comes back anyway.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
SyFy: Imagine Nothing.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:42 am Reply with quote
Anime was never going to last on American television, or any other channel broadcasts outside of Japan. Even if it did, the little shows they had were either not that good, reruns, or only attracted a miniscule audience due to limited genres.

We're better off with internet streams and DVD/BD versions. Those are better quality and more "up to date" than what we see on cable t.v. anyways.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote
It's hardly surprising considering that Syfy has been cutting back on their SF as well. Right now they've got Sanctuary as about their only new SF show airing. This summer they have the second half of last summer's season of Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Haven. And there's no sign that any of these shows are getting renewed. All but Haven look like they could be in their final seasons.

With about all their new shows being reality shows, it's pretty clear that Syfy wants to drop the SF completely. I don't see the network lasting another two years (five at most).
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
I think everybody is forgetting the that SciFi/SyFy did not create the block, Manga Entertainment did and looking at the dates (June 11th, 2007 to June 9th, 2011), it would seem that Manga did want to renew their contract with SciFi/SyFy.

With anime off SciFi/SyFy, it looks like everybody will needs to contact their television service provider to request the FUNimation Channel for their anime on TV needs.
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

ZeroGee wrote:

It becomes a circular logic. As more people get their entertainment from the internet, it becomes harder for TV channels to attract audiences, so they drop poor shows left and right in desperate search for those few shows that would actually get more than a few people to stick.

When their offerings consist of cookie cutter monster/alien of the week and other networks offer reality tv drivel and cartoon network delivers nothing but fart and poop toilet humor because all that is cheaper than showing something inovative and original, then yeah, the only alternative is to seek out what you can find on the internet.
It's called competition. TV refuses to compete for viewers by showing quality and instead opts for quantity for the almighty advertising dollars.
So SYFY and other networks are killing themselves, it's not the viewers fault.
The problem with most tv networks (at least in the US) is that they're run by empty Hollywood suits instead of creative people.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
ZeroGee wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

ZeroGee wrote:

When their offerings consist of cookie cutter monster/alien of the week and other networks offer reality tv drivel and cartoon network delivers nothing but fart and poop toilet humor because all that is cheaper than showing something inovative and original, then yeah, the only alternative is to seek out what you can find on the internet.
It's called competition. TV refuses to compete for viewers by showing quality and instead opts for quantity for the almighty advertising dollars.
So SYFY and other networks are killing themselves, it's not the viewers fault.

I think that the concept of fault isn't useful here and is being used for something other than explaining things. I don't think that it makes sense to indignantly bemoan a network pursuing, "almighty advertising dollars." It's like castigating somebody for breathing too much air; it's what they survive on and sustains their ultimate purpose. Channels like SyFy are pursuing broader audiences, which alienates niche audiences, who then turn to alternative sources and provided that they gain more general viewers than they lose niche ones, it's an annoying state of affairs, but not an evil one.

I think that we would do well to being mindful that we are all thinking about this from riskless, disinterested perspectives.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat May 28, 2011 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6