• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Working on 'Future Platform' After PlayStation 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this one will have full backwards compatibility for all models, not just the first few. Oh, and a secure network.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I still have not bought a PS3, backwards compatibility would be nice as well, I just don't have enough money to buy one.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I still have not bought a PS3, backwards compatibility would be nice as well, I just don't have enough money to buy one.

Well I doubt these newer systems will be any cheaper so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who wonders if this is the product of a big, stupid cycle of corporate one-upping? I mean, what he originally said is true. Introducing a new console is a stupid idea. But then Nintendo announces a new console and also there are whispers that Microsoft is working on a new console...and suddenly Sony doesn't want to be left behind so they jump on the new console bandwagon. Of course, this pretty much guarantees that if Microsoft wasn't working on one, they are now. So basically, we end up with this cold war-esque arms race to produce a new generation of consoles that nobody actually wanted in the first place.

What a pain in the ass. Even worse, I'd say there's a decent chance that, for lack of any real significant technical ways to improve, we'll end up with some stupid 3D bullshit as the main selling point. I really can't imagine a worse scenario that being blocked from playing any new games until I waste a bunch of money on a new system for the sake of 3D that I don't want and won't use.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Am I the only one who wonders if this is the product of a big, stupid cycle of corporate one-upping? I mean, what he originally said is true. Introducing a new console is a stupid idea. But then Nintendo announces a new console and also there are whispers that Microsoft is working on a new console...and suddenly Sony doesn't want to be left behind so they jump on the new console bandwagon. Of course, this pretty much guarantees that if Microsoft wasn't working on one, they are now. So basically, we end up with this cold war-esque arms race to produce a new generation of consoles that nobody actually wanted in the first place.

Welcome to the video game industry. Personally I feel Nintendo is the only one that needs to update their console since it's so far behind in terms of processing power and graphcis, but of course that triggers a chain reaction from other companies.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But then Nintendo announces a new console and also there are whispers that Microsoft is working on a new console...and suddenly Sony doesn't want to be left behind so they jump on the new console bandwagon.

Pretty sure companies are always working on the next system even if its just talk as a concept. They announced this to their investors just so they aren't afraid that Sony is being left behind by Microsoft and Nintendo, but we likely won't see anything much about it for another two years at least. Also this is the fifth year of the current generation. If you look at the time span between systems it usually is around 5-6 years.

That said, you aren't wrong,. It is a bit of an unnecessary arms race, considering the advancement of technology and how much consumers can really afford.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

What a pain in the ass. Even worse, I'd say there's a decent chance that, for lack of any real significant technical ways to improve, we'll end up with some stupid 3D bullshit as the main selling point. I really can't imagine a worse scenario that being blocked from playing any new games until I waste a bunch of money on a new system for the sake of 3D that I don't want and won't use.

I am sure these companies are always working on ideas for what could be their next console since day 1 of when they release the previous one. That doesn't necessarily mean they are going to push the other one aside or that even its a priority though.

Also its not like these systems are going to come out tomorrow, I bet it will be some good years before we see the next Xbox and PlayStation systems. So who knows the technological improvements we will see. I wasn't expecting such a huge increase from the xbox to xbox 360 or the playstation 2 to the playstation 3 but there obviously was a very significant one. Although your probably right, I am guessing 3D technology will play some role.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Well I doubt these newer systems will be any cheaper so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

No, but usually the release of a new system causes the slightly older system to fall in prices. Like how I picked up a PS2 for quite cheap a year or so after the release of the PS3.

I usually buy the next-to-newest generation... cause I'm cheap like that. That, and I'm mainly a PC gamer.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

No, but usually the release of a new system causes the slightly older system to fall in prices. Like how I picked up a PS2 for quite cheap a year or so after the release of the PS3.

I usually buy the next-to-newest generation... cause I'm cheap like that. That, and I'm mainly a PC gamer.

Just pre-order like 3-4 of the first release of the next playstation or xbox system and then sell them all but 1 back right away. That way you will have more than enough and not have to worry about buying the one because I bet you will see at least a 100% increase on your sale like what happened with the last systems.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
That doesn't necessarily mean they are going to push the other one aside or that even its a priority though.

This is a point worth repeating when it comes to Sony. Sony doesn't abandon their previous consoles, they gradually let the publishers decide when to stop making games and Sony works it out from there. When the PS2 came out there was still new PS1 games coming as well as Greatest Hits. The PS3 has been out for nearly 5 years now and there are still new PS2 games being released. Same can't be said for Nintendo who ditches their old hardware almost as soon as the next thing comes out. Hard to tell what Microsoft will do since their first console was a bust and needed replacing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
here we go again.jpg
Really Sony your just going to jump gun right now? What the hell happened to you guys? Never mind I don't even care anymore I happy with my ps3 as of now but this is just getting out of hand. I really do wish Sony would focus more on fixing it's online servers and customer support than just abandon a good piece of hardware some where. Hell the only thing I ask of Sony Is to just do an firmware update where all ps3's can play ps2 games, do not tell me it's not possible if the ngp can play ps2 games so can the newer ps3's stop beating around the damn bush.

My rant aside the only main problem i see is anyone really going to support Sony?? I have nearly given up on them even before the net disaster but this just nuts aye.. I do own all three systems and all I have to say is what the hell happened?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silencer226

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
here we go again.jpg
Really Sony your just going to jump gun right now? What the hell happened to you guys? Never mind I don't even care anymore I happy with my ps3 as of now but this is just getting out of hand. I really do wish Sony would focus more on fixing it's online servers and customer support than just abandon a good piece of hardware some where. Hell the only thing I ask of Sony Is to just do an firmware update where all ps3's can play ps2 games, do not tell me it's not possible if the ngp can play ps2 games so can the newer ps3's stop beating around the damn bush.

My rant aside the only main problem i see is anyone really going to support Sony?? I have nearly given up on them even before the net disaster but this just nuts aye.. I do own all three systems and all I have to say is what the hell happened?

I think you're overreacting. Have they abandoned the PS2? No. Did they completely abandon the PS1 when PS2 came out? No. Will they abandon the PS3 when the new generation comes out... No. You make it sound so simple to push out an update to play PS2 games on the PS3. They are at least rereleasing ps2 games on the PS3, God of War collection, Sly collection, etc... Online is back up and running, excluding Japan and the PS Store which is probably going to be back soon. I honestly don't care about PS2 emulation anymore anyway, I have a ps2... I'd be more worried about a certain other company who completely abandoned their last console...

Is anyone going to support Sony? Um... yeah, most definitely. Smile And I am not a Sony fanboy, I also own all 3 current generation consoles.
Justp94

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
PlayStation Network is still down in Japan because Japan's Government is Paranoid about the Security of PlayStation network now... So, they are waiting it out for like a month and if everything is secure, they will allow it to go back online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
There is an issue with FF14's yet to be published PS3 version where they can't get it working because of a lack of ram on the PS3, but the rumor is that SE botched it and they wouldn't be needing the crazy amount of ram if they hadn't put there B team on it. Besides that I can't really think of any complaints from developers about the PS3 that have made it into the video game forums, and the only major complaint about the 360 now days is disc size.....

So maybe in 3 would be more along the right time line. I just hope they don't rush them out just to be first again, that never works......
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is anyone going to support Sony? Um... yeah, most definitely. Smile And I am not a Sony fanboy, I also own all 3 current generation consoles.

I own all three as well, a modded wii a 120 gig ps3 slim and a 60 gb xbox but that's not the point here I am just upset that sony has dropped the ball on this one. Listen I don't hate Sony at all I just hate seeing them at the state they are in.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3