• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Mark 25th Anniversary in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I just want the InuYasha: Final Act dub to finally make it to Adult Swim or DVD. July 7th is a Thursday this year, so maybe July 9th (or the 12th for DVD). But then again, Syfy currently plays anime on Thursday nights (well technically Friday mornings) at 1 AM. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Cross Game on dvds!

Hikaru no Go on dvds!
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
I just want the InuYasha: Final Act dub to finally make it to Adult Swim or DVD. July 7th is a Thursday this year, so maybe July 9th (or the 12th for DVD). But then again, Syfy currently plays anime on Thursday nights (well technically Friday mornings) at 1 AM. Hmmm...

Well SyFy isn't even showing their anime block as airing on their schedule bot after June 9th, FWIW (I'm hoping it's either a break or the schedule isn't totally nailed down but it's SyFy so who knows?) Sad .
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Can we expect an exciting VIZ presence at Anime Expo 2011? Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

Did AS announce that last weekend over something? Because that would be awesome, considering how Kekkashi will end within the next few weeks.

Hopefully the InuYasha: Final Act will do something no Rumiko Takahashi has done in all the years I've been watching her creations. A conclusive ending with hopefully a awesome series finale.

It's funny though, Viz Media hasn't really changed that much for the last 25 years. They have cancelled some series, but to this day, still dub most of the series they license. Not all of course, but usually a good amount.

Shonen anime/manga, even after a decade, is still my favorite type of anime. Sure I now like slice of life shows, but ultimately my favorite is still Shonen anime/manga.

For example Bleach. Even if I had a exhausting, vexing and otherwise long day, watching Bleach makes the day much better and really catches my attention. I realize the age group for this series is maybe kids to teens, but considering how excellent the show and the English dub are, it makes it fun for adult anime viewers to watch as well.

In a era where moe and other genres are seemingly more popular, it's always a joy to watch a genre that is really more geared to a another crowd. I am not saying moe or anything is bad (again, I am not) but I never got into it and honestly I much rather watch a show that has mostly action and some humor, but limited, if any amount of fluff in it.

But what is great about Viz Media is that even after 25 years, they still use English dubs and still still exist. The same cannot be said by Pioneer (later renamed Geneon) or ADV films.

I wonder though, how many people have been watching Viz (later re branded Viz Media) since 25 years ago? I am sure that group probably remembers how Viz Media first operated and how times have really changed.

But when you think about it, there first was VHS, then DVD and now Blu-Ray. Though I still remember the days of VHS tapes, the quality of videos have changed drastically.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
No, [as] hasn't announced the dub yet. I really wish they would. SOMETHING concerning it would be nice for Viz's 25th Anniversary!

And yes, Bleach is great. All those reasons you mentioned are probably why it occasionally pulls down 500k viewers ages 18-34 in the unlikely timeslot of Saturday Nights at Midnight.

As for my first experience with Viz Media, I'd have to say when I discovered InuYasha on my "anime rebirth" back in 2005.

Last edited by LagannImpact on Fri May 06, 2011 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But when you think about it, there first was VHS, then DVD and now Blu-Ray. Though I still remember the days of VHS tapes, the quality of videos have changed drastically.

Has Viz released any Blu-Rays? News to me.

Nice to see Viz still on top after all these years. They may be the worst when it comes to completing anime dubs/dvd releases. But, they are still by far my favorite Manga publisher in the states. I will admit that Yen Press has stolen me away to quite a few titles over the past few years, but my bookshelf is still highly outweighed by Viz releases, I think my last count was about 300 Viz volumes, and about 450 total. So yea, Make Mine Viz!!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote
Good for them. At least they're still going strong, unlike other companies *cough* TOKYOPOP *cough*
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
Whooooo! That's like, totally my birthday. xD I wonder if anything exciting will happen? ^^
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
Well............. Coca-Cola will be celebrating their 125th! So there! Laughing
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Good for them. At least they're still going strong, unlike other companies *cough* TOKYOPOP *cough*

Here's the advantage of Viz Media over Tokyopop: VIZ Media is part of the same conglomerate (Hitotsubashi Group) that owns Shogakukan and Shueisha. As such, it's almost a given that any translated Shogakukan and Shueisha manga title will be generally published through Viz Media. Smile
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Uh, I think going strong is an overstatement for Viz. Laughing But congratz to them all the same.

Anyway, on the topic of their shows, I'm kinda bummed that Kekkaishi is coming to an end in a few weeks--its been my favorite series on Adult Swim since Death Note. But hell, still got the DVDs to look forward to, which will be my first purchases ever from Viz.

After Kekkaishi ends, I probably won't watch much of [as] on anymore. I still watch FMA:B, but I don't have too much interest in that show as it is, FLCL(which I've also gotta get sometime down the road) will be done with its rerun by then, and Bleach sucks, so I'll probably take a break from this block.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Has Viz released any Blu-Rays? News to me.

The only Blu-ray Viz released is the Death Note movie set which has the first 2 films.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Keeping my fingers crossed that this will mean a revival Hamtaro box set!

Come on Hamtaro.......

Very Happy
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
I would like Viz to release the rest of Monster and the other animes they stop releasing for some reason
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2