• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka 7 DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
Looking back on the show when it first started... by the end of the series it really turned into a different animal.

There are a number of things that left me with a "meh" feeling and overall I felt the series actually still suffered (IMO) from the very thing the review said it didn't have: "exaggerated expressions and reactions so common in anime" Of cousre it's not as bad as the typical anime, certainly... but I still feel it was a bit too exaggerated. I guess it's acceptable though.

But despite it not being a stellar show for me (I guess I just found it too boring and too predictable, and I came in with overly-high expectations) one thing is for sure: the visuals really are awesome. And the one thing I really appreciated about the characters is that by the end of the show, they really have changed and grown. Maybe the others' felt a little contrived or forced, but it feels kind of funny seeing Renton now...

It's so unfortunate teh reviewer doesn't seem to like Days, though Sad That's my favourite Eureka 7 OP song, and I think one of my favourite anime OP songs of all time.

I almost feel inspired to go watch i... noooooooo, I can't, must not, rargh.

I guess I'm the total opposite, having gone in with unusally high expectations and actually coming out being even more content with the show than I could have imagined. The fact that it's very much a more human focused story than anything close to resembling a super robot show probably turns quite a few off, but that was made it what it was in the end for me.

As far as exagerated expressions and such, it's not as bad or as overly childish as say Fullmetal Alchemist, to use another example from BONES, and even when used, which is rarely I thought and close to non existant after a certain point, was still reserved and still very much grounded in the characters personalities.

Still in the end, the show managed to do what very few shows can do for me, and that is to create a real emotional attachment to the characters and overall left a very big impression on me. After all the anime I've watched, I was glad a show could finally succeed in this.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
I find it funny about the pronounciation of Eureka. Even though in the Japanese version it's pronounced as "ur-rek-ka", many fans of the native country refer to the name as "ur-ree-ka".
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty critical of Bosch as well. The voice just seemed to grate on me and was too forced in this instance. I have heard some roles where he plays this age of character decently, but he just didn't work for Renton.

Stephanie Sheh is much more experienced as a voice actress than you'd think. She's got lots of anime roles under different names (and probably better known as a VA under one of them). I'm really starting to like her performance in Eureka quite a bit lately from the CN viewing.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I do admit that Bosch's Renton did irritate me at first, but after awhile I got accustomed to it and really don't think he's that bad aside from a few points in the first few episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaliSerenity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:

Regarding Johnny's portrayal of Renton: I'm used to it; it works for me. I spoke to him at Shiokazecon a few months back and he said that when he first recorded Renton, the director would say"No, higher". So, Johnny had no choice in the matter.

Hm, I read something like that on his band site - that he was uncomfortable with the pitch in the early episodes when the director kept telling him to go higher. But I heard the Japanese VA too, and it's just as whiny I thought. Razz

I think he also said that the early episodes was a rush-dub for him, 'cause he was a last minute replacement for Yuri Lowenthal.

I'm keeping up with this series as the DVDs are released (not on tv), and the only reason I checked it out was because I heard JYB was going to do a little kid's voice. I was shocked when I heard it - I've never heard him sound so young! He did a great job I thought at adjusting his voice to sound like a little kid. Anime smile

I like JYB, and I like him as Renton fine as well. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Anime Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying E7 on adult swim also. I like the fact that it's has character developement instead of straingt action. Even my roommate, who dosn't care to much for mech shows will watch it with me. Keeps me looking foward for Sat. night adult swim.
Anime Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show alot. I've been watching it on Adult Swim and just recently picked up Vol. 1 and 2. Now I have to wait until August until Vol. 3 comes out. So, I guess I will just have to be content to see it on Adult Swim until then.

Personally, I think Johnny Yong Bosch does a great job with Renton's voice. It was rather a surprise to me to see a man for once doing a kids voice rather than a woman. Almost every kid's character's voice in an anime or any other kind of animation it seems like it's done by a woman.

I like the way the storyline gradually unfolds as you go on in the series....it does not tell you everything at once, but rather hints around at things that have happened and of things to come so that you want to keep coming back to see how things develop.

Eureka Seven is probably my favorite anime at the moment and I really look forward to seeing the episodes that are on Adult Swim that can't be gotten on DVD yet.
Rakeyarenbo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
A good DVD or not? Confused

I've been wondering whether, or not, I should buy the Eureka 7 DVD 1, that is out in anime-retailer stores, since I really don't feel like buying the DVD, and finding out it is REALLY horrible, or something! lol Very Happy

I just want to know, on a 1 out of 10 stars rating. What would you score this anime's first DVD? Also, what was the number of episodes that are given in this one DVD volume? Confused
Rakeyarenbo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
If anyone watches this show in the first place...is what I forgot to add. Laughing

Also, you can use this as a news board, as well. I will be updating this board, into the discussion forum, for anime, as soon as I get the DVD and watch the episodes that are on the DVD.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Errr, it's been broadcast on Cartoon Network's [adult swim] offshoot in the U.S. for the past year up until just a couple of weeks ago, when the last episode getting cut short caused a HUGE stink, so it's fair to say a lot of people have watched it.

You can find a review of the first volume (posted last year on this site) here. You can also take a look at its entry in the Encyclopedia for an idea of how more than 1,200 people have rated the series.

And the series has been much talked-about in one thread or another of the Anime forum. Do a Search there and you'll probably find a lot of commentary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2