• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The 250th Column!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
I liked Sons of Liberty, but maybe that's just me. I haven't played 3...the trials of not having a PS2.

Loved the column but I agree, it was far too short for such a grand occasion as the 250th. But really, I'm not complaining.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Pop-Art Samurai wrote:
I liked Sons of Liberty, but maybe that's just me. I haven't played 3...the trials of not having a PS2.

Huh? I Like a game on PS2, I would love to play it's sequel on PS2. Too bad I don't have a PS2 what? I hope it was like your friends PS2 because that just doesn't make any sense.

Or perhaps your an Xbox perhaps who happened to get in on the game with that "special" release on the BOX.

Kagemusha wrote:
Like Ocelo...er, Liquid's hand wasn't?
But I guess Zac can't get no respect, even on an anniversary.

When did Zac turn into the Rodney Dangerfield (Yikes spelling?) of ANN?
Once again big congrats!
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Huh? I Like a game on PS2, I would love to play it's sequel on PS2. Too bad I don't have a PS2 what? I hope it was like your firends PS2 because that just don't not make any sense.

A relative owned both the PS2 and the game in question, because said relative has since moved away and I have no money these days to spend on games and game systems I have yet to play the game in question's sequel.

I have no friends.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

[clip]
My exact thoughts on the series. I don't understand at all why Yu Watase is hailed as a goddess of shoujo manga. In my opinion, all her works minus Ceres: Celestial Legend are derivative, predictable, banal, brainless, and not to mention cliché fluff.
[/clip]

I'd agree with you about Fushigi Yuugi beingpredictable, banal, etc., but much of her other work actually has pretty inspiring moments. Zettai Kareshi starts off pretty weak, but as the characters gain some depth, it actually gets pretty interesting. Also, her older one-volume works were unpolished but showed a lot of promise (which in some ways she's lived up to, and others she hasn't).

And Imadoki is actually one of my favorite medium-length manga series. It didn't drown in it's own angst, like Ceres, Fushigi Yuugi, and Zettai Kareshi all manage to do, and the characters all show some real depth. There were a couple times when it actually managed to move me to tears. Then again, I'm a big sucker for a sad story, so, you know. :b As for Alice 19th, it was... not horrible, but not that great. It reminded me of X just a little too much to develop a solid opinion of it. I do know that it didn't leave too much of an impression on me, though.

Basically: I agree with you, that she shouldn't be considered a "goddess of shoujo manga" (considering that rings too close to Tezuka's title, and there's no way Watase holds a candle to him), but I also don't agree that she creates nothing but mindless drivel, as you implied.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sylex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Wow. Congrats on all that you have done in the Answerman columns over these past few years.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
What happened to Shelf Life? I actually prefer that over "Hey Answerman"

WTF was that? "Anniversary, Schmaniversary - whatevuh BEEYOCH! HATE HATE HATE!" Laughing
Remember, Serge - there's a time and a place... (READ: niether one here)

Almost as good as the TV Tokyo operator with the thick Japanese accent using a word like pronto Wink

And don't try to front, you all know MG>MGS3>MGS1>MGS2>Snakes Revenge
WEKS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
First: Congrats on the 250!
Second: Can we thrust you now? You just admitted to have lied about pretty much everything in the past.
Third: Otaku phone Japan was awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
the sad thing is some day that flake may breed.
God help us.

Congrats on 250.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
konosuke15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote
if only we were allowed to make a biologinal weapon that can kill the stupidity gene in humans. Sadely, we cannot. v_v
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
Funny he never mentioned that "CD's have B-Sides" answer.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the column reach 250 -- I look forward to reading it every late Thursday night (since I'm always up till all hours of the night), and the ensuing forum discussion is always interesting. Now to send in a question of my own that's not about fansubs, getting into the industry, or contacting Studio Pierrot to complain about the quality of my stolen anime Cool Laughing
Wolverine Princess wrote:
My exact thoughts on the series. I don't understand at all why Yu Watase is hailed as a goddess of shoujo manga. In my opinion, all her works minus Ceres: Celestial Legend are derivative, predictable, banal, brainless, and not to mention cliché fluff.
Akukaze wrote:
And Imadoki is actually one of my favorite medium-length manga series. It didn't drown in it's own angst, like Ceres, Fushigi Yuugi, and Zettai Kareshi all manage to do, and the characters all show some real depth. There were a couple times when it actually managed to move me to tears.
I was going to say something similar in response to Wolverine Princess -- Imadoki is a perfectly normal romance with no fantasy or other worlds, and it's much lower on the angst scale. Alice 19th is also quite cute, and doesn't suffer from as many fantasy flaws as FY. The shorter 5 to 7 volume lengths of those series helps. (I am a guy btw, and she's one of my favorite shoujo authors.) And, someone had to say it:
AnswerMan wrote:
It's a self-insertion fanfiction type story...
Wait a minute, "insertion"? Where's Mahoro to tell me that dirty thoughts are bad?? Embarassed But it's true, Watase has admitted that Miaka is a "Mary Sue" character. Maybe all those "I write fanfic and I wanna get into da industry" people aren't completely misguided after all Shocked
frentymon wrote:
I wonder if [Studio Pierrot] actually gets letters from people having "great ideas" for episodes [of Naruto] and requesting that they be aired.
Of course they do; how do you think they get the ideas for these filler episodes in the first place??? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Kidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
250th column! Yay for you Very Happy ! Japanese producer and otaku-san = comedy gold!

Hello is this Japan?!?! Laughing

actually I was expecting the column to be at least twice as long as normal
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
I've always though FY was self-insertion fanfic, so I'm so happy to see others that feel the same way! I really liked Alice 19th personally, and thought it was one of her more interesting tales. I really loved the way the characters fought.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
I like all Watase's works. It may be pure fluff but it lets you escape reality for a little while. Its fun. FY was the series that got me into anime so it has a special place in my heart. Imadoki Nowadays is by far her best manga work to date, IMO.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I like all Watase's works. It may be pure fluff but it lets you escape reality for a little while. Its fun. FY was the series that got me into anime so it has a special place in my heart. Imadoki Nowadays is by far her best manga work to date, IMO.

Yikes. If Imadoki is her best work, then I'm defnitely not touching another one of her series again. It was the first and only series I've read all the way through, and the others I've read have had me stopping pretty quickly.

Imadoki! had a great start: the first volume was excellent, but then it was all downhill from there. It would've made a much better "be my buddy" comedy than a romance, because it was annoying as one.

I'll stick with Arina Tanemura for sureshot shoujo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5