• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The 250th Column!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Congrats on the 250! It was really interesting to read the questions and your (lied) answers. Oh, I love looking down memory lane like that, especially when it's other people's lives, just because you know where they're coming from.

And those Naruto fans, .... why are they... just.... bleh, becoming so much like InuYasha fans? And I thought THOSE fans were bad, now a series I actually really like is getting nailed with those types.

But oh well... I guess.

Ugh. I hate it when that happens. It makes me want to hide the fact i like certain series because the general public and other anime fans have a negative image in their mind when they heard about these series.

yup, bleach is going to be next. Sad
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
First, congrats on the landmark occasion. Though I kinda don't see why 250 is so special. You're clearly gonna make it way past 500. Well, unless you get one to many 'how do i make my own anime series?' questions and they have to lock you up because you finally snap.

Anyway, I liked your comment about Metal Gear Solid 2.
Quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and assume I wrote this before I finished the game since the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty proved it to be one of the dumbest games I'd ever played and it's pretty clear Hideo Kojima was just screwing with people to see what he could get away with. Raiden, my ass.

Your ass? I thought it was his bare ass? Or do you have a body double job on the side you're not telling us about?

Anyway, as for MGS2, I'm in the camp that loved the story and the ending. I love that meta textual muti-layered atristic crap. I love a good mind f*** movie or game. I eat up crazy stuff like Eraserhead. I love conspiracy therories and the seedy underbelly of international politics.

I acutally ended up writing a paper for an ethics class using Metal Gear Solid. I had a paper due for my 'Technology and Human Values' class, yet really wanted to finish Metal Gear Solid 2. It worked out nicely as many of the crazy conspiracies and technologies in MGS2 were similar or the same as stuff we had talked about in the class. I loved that ending and all the crazy stuff in it. It was perfect for me and rather perfect timing.

Yet.. at the same time, I totally understand if you or anyone just hated the end of MGS2.

Oh yeah. I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock. I need scissors! 61!

And, Jack... I'm ha..ving your.. baaaaa...bbe.... skkkkkt...
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Congrats on the 250! It was really interesting to read the questions and your (lied) answers. Oh, I love looking down memory lane like that, especially when it's other people's lives, just because you know where they're coming from.

And those Naruto fans, .... why are they... just.... bleh, becoming so much like InuYasha fans? And I thought THOSE fans were bad, now a series I actually really like is getting nailed with those types.

But oh well... I guess.

Ugh. I hate it when that happens. It makes me want to hide the fact i like certain series because the general public and other anime fans have a negative image in their mind when they heard about these series.

yup, bleach is going to be next. Sad

I'm actually kind of glad that One Piece didn't become popular now. Or else I'd get those weird fangirls that you are speaking of for it. And I like being a One Piece fan! Smile

But I think while DBZ and Pokemon used to be like that, a lot of the original fans have grown up. They realize they are watching a kids' show, and don't care, since they like it and they are't afraid to admit it, and won't chew you out for dissing it. Then there are the ones who won't admit it's a kid show ("Its rly dark in teh orgnal! 4kids wont sho u it tho! 4kids sux!11~@one1"), and will yell at you for having a different opinion on that matter, or for not liking the show. I wonder if Naruto and InuYasha will become like this....
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
I wonder if Naruto and InuYasha will become like this....

Well, it doesn't exactly give them a lot of leeway because both Inu Yasha and Naruto, while people might have content gripes, are still fairly faithful.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
I really hate having to post here with the intent to basically rant about the Metal Gear Solid series but here it goes. I've played all 5 of the main story line games full and over again and honestly I personally think Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty is the best.

I suppose I speak from the same ground as The Xenos but the fact just if, if you can appreciate very intricate story and highly philosophical and psychological content, you can not, I repeat, can not beat what is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I'd personally wish Kojima-san would do more of it but the fact just is that yes, as is apparent most gamers do not appreciate it that much. Generally most misunderstand it, don't understand it, or don't care fot it in that way but that's fine, it's expected.

Then yes aside from the ending and story there is the poster child of MGS2 that Answerman pointed out, Raiden, and his shot of full frontal mis-action shall we say and emotional servitude. As DemonEyesLeo said, there was a good reason that Kojima-san made the decision to put him in... but I really don't agree with the method or logic involved. As is in the Metal Gear Sagas Vol. 1 DVD explanation that Kojima-san himself elaborates on, in short the reason he put Raiden in the game as he is was for the purpose of, I still don't believe it myself, to appeal to and I quote "Japanese high school girls." Which really is like trying to make pancakes taste good with gasoline on them like I've said before, doing something like that completely defeats the purpose. The truth just is that the MG Saga appeals largely to guys, or those seeking action, solid stealth gameplay, the testosterone mystic of Solid Snake, the military related story with dramatic elements, and the solid directing and creativity that is Kojima-san. Last time I checked, putting a more feminine guy in it really doesn't help those elements especially viewed by most people. I personally had no problem in it, I generally like the MG Saga for the story myself first and foremost, if anything I'd just complain Raiden and Rose brought on a bit too much melodrama for my taste.

Otherwise, as DemonEyesLeo said about Raiden in MGS4, you'll probably forget about him in MGS2. I do agree with him as well that generally as the Metal Gear games come out, they get better and better aesthetic wise and game play wise, and always had a very drawing story and plot. So, we can have some good hopes for MGS4.

In short, although I think downplaying some of Kojima's elements isn't a good idea, he seems to want to wrap things up in the next game anyway so like always we can wait and see how he will handle it.

*Phew* Yeah, I think my rant is done, sorry about that.

And oh yeah, before I forget, Aside from Metal Gear Domestic and Metal Gear Awesome for MGS parodies, I'd highly recommend Metal Gear Crisis, the Metal Gear Fiestas, the Twin Noodles, the Adopt-a-Box-Foundation and of course... CRAB BATTLE!!!! just to name a few, they can all be found here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/metalgear.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
250! Wow! As a relatively new fan, this might mark about the 30th column of yours that I've read, so the flashbacks were especially nice to read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
Laughing A Naruto episode where Naruto comes to some fanboy's house and rides bikes and then his mother orders pizza. That would be funny. Awesome "Flake Of The Week".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
As DemonEyesLeo said, there was a good reason that Kojima-san made the decision to put him in... but I really don't agree with the method or logic involved. As is in the Metal Gear Sagas Vol. 1 DVD explanation that Kojima-san himself elaborates on, in short the reason he put Raiden in the game as he is was for the purpose of, I still don't believe it myself, to appeal to and I quote "Japanese high school girls." Which really is like trying to make pancakes taste good with gasoline on them like I've said before, doing something like that completely defeats the purpose.

Hmmm, that's not the reason I heard about, at least not the main reason, for Raiden's existence. I read in an interview with Kojima, that Raiden was created so that players could see Snake from an outsider's perspective. Ever since Snake was created for Metal Gear, he's always been viewed as "a legendary soldier;" but the players had always controlled him, so Raiden was introduced so the players could see, instead of play as, this legendary man. Does that make sense? I know it's a bit strange, but such is the thinking of Hideo Kojima.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
That would make sense and I'd probably much rather believe that as a better explanation. Heck, it does sound like Kojima's thinking and I like it but I've never heard of that specifically, only what I've seen basically in the Icons special on him and that DVD. He says it so clearly in the DVD though, it still scares me.

Pretty much ever since that people have been pointing out moments like those that they don't perticularly like because of the change of perspective, like the Arbitor in Halo 2, and some are even already saying it about Link turning into a wolve in a preview of the Twilight Princess. We're just uncomfortable when it comes to change in certain ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations on the 250th Column! That flake was hilarious by the way. Actually, today at work, when I had some time to myself, I doodled my own Naruto filler episode. It consists of Naruto going out into a field, shooting a dog, and then having a big party. Then he says, "This is just like Baseball! Believe it!" Next, he pees in a bucket, and pours it along with a vial of cyanide down the Konoha well. I think it's a great idea. It'll defintely be better than the current fillers.

How do you guys like it?
Steve007101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Genius, you should send it to Tokyopop, they really know how to make stuff like that happen.

But in all seriousness yes, that would own the current fillers.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
That'd make a great filler for Naruto, BELIEVE IT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
That would make sense and I'd probably much rather believe that as a better explanation. Heck, it does sound like Kojima's thinking and I like it but I've never heard of that specifically, only what I've seen basically in the Icons special on him and that DVD. He says it so clearly in the DVD though, it still scares me.

I found more info about that DVD comment. It was really Raiden's character design that was for the "female fans;" but the reason why he was even created in the first place was for what I said earlier.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, like I said makes sense. I guess I kind of overlooked the difference between reason for the character and reason for the character design.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5