• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV licenses Paniponi Dash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
Pleroma wrote:
Quote:
I don't, as ADV's extras are goddamn awful. I'm not buying these DVDs, as I loathe ADV and all they stand for. I'm just fine with purchasing the much superior Japanese release.

Huh? last I checked the other american licensors did not exactly go out of their way to provide quality extras. ADV has a good track record here and the Excel Saga treatment is in my opinion one of if not the best R1 DVD release out there. They also have generally good dubbing and creative ways of pushing their product.

He's probably just another pirate that holds a grudge against ADV for taking legal action against fansubbing groups that continued to distribute shows that they held the licenses too. I'd be willing to bet that it has nothing to do with the ADV DVD releases themselves.
Well, I actually hate fansubs. I think how most of them butcher up programs with stupid karaokes, distracting fonts and dumb liner notes is absolutely sickening. Not to mention that about half of them don't know how to write in proper English. I do however see them as a necessary evil if I want to keep up with what's current. In an ideal world, I'd know Japanese and watch things raw; but the amount of Japanese I know isn't enough to get me through an episode of anything raw. So, fansubs are the crutch I have to use for the moment. I don’t really mind if companies take legal actions against subbers (especially if it’s the Japanese company), it’s within their rights.

As far as ADV goes, I really just hate them because I hate their method of marketing (there is more, but this my main beef). They pander too much to the phonies. They water the plant that is goddamn stupid useless American fanbase, making it grow bigger and bigger. I really cannot stand for it. It's their (and other companies, like Tokyo Pop's) fault that I keep running into morons at conventions. I am disgusted by it, I really am.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Dude, morons at conventions are one of those quintiessential things. You'd run into them anyway, ADV or not, because people, suprise suprise, aren't always influenced by products- they're naturally stupid.

I think that ADV's advertising and marketting is really in poor taste, but they're trying to make the most of a dire situation (or atleast, thats how they would see it). Of course, anyone wanting to pick up Pani Poni Dash! in R2 form is probably a lost cause, so whatever.

Quote:
I firmly believe that if something is foreign, it should be watched in its mother language. It's not that I revere the Japanese or anything like that.

Hot topic Hot topic!
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ADV does a good job with the subtitles and dubs, which is where it really counts. The usually put some effort into the DVD packaging too. That being said, their advertisements do suck, and they could do a bit more when it comes to extras.
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
ADV does a good job with the subtitles and dubs, which is where it really counts.

Which is, of course, a totally subjective opinion. Their subtitles aren't any worse than anyone else's most of the time, but in my experience, they're the only company to subtitle English wrong. So that kind of makes me wonder about the accuracy of the actual translation. And their dubs are some of the worst I've heard. Have yet to find one I can sit through one entire episode for without cringing.

Quote:
The usually put some effort into the DVD packaging too. That being said, their advertisements do suck, and they could do a bit more when it comes to extras.

I give them points for their packaging, though Funimation and Geneon have been better as of late when it comes to singles. As for the extras, can't put something on there that doesn't exist. A lot of the time, Japanese extras either can't be licensed or just don't exist. The dub extras, OTOH, overfloweth it feels like. And as I have no love for the dub, the in-house extras do nothing for me (except the sock puppets. I love the sock puppets). I'm glad others like them, though.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Poop. I still have a few episodes I've yet to aquire illegally.

Well, I will be buying it when they start putting it out.
I fear hearing Himeko's english VA. Her Japanese one was crazy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
wildarmsheero wrote:
As far as ADV goes, I really just hate them because I hate their method of marketing (there is more, but this my main beef). They pander too much to the phonies. They water the plant that is goddamn stupid useless American fanbase, making it grow bigger and bigger. I really cannot stand for it. It's their (and other companies, like Tokyo Pop's) fault that I keep running into morons at conventions. I am disgusted by it, I really am.

Without the vast army of "phonies" and "morons" there would be less anime available in English and it would cost a lot more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chiyoko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
And their dubs are some of the worst I've heard. Have yet to find one I can sit through one entire episode for without cringing.

Have you ever watched Yu Gi Oh!, One Piece or even Sailor Moon in english?

I think that ADV would make a decent dub of this show (I can just guess which voice actors would get cast as who >__<). They do a decent job in dubbing and subtitling and even if they have screwed up some anime in the past, most of the ones they have released are actually okay.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:
ADV does a good job with the subtitles and dubs, which is where it really counts.

Which is, of course, a totally subjective opinion.

That goes without saying.

Crawly wrote:
Their subtitles aren't any worse than anyone else's most of the time, but in my experience, they're the only company to subtitle English wrong. So that kind of makes me wonder about the accuracy of the actual translation. And their dubs are some of the worst I've heard. Have yet to find one I can sit through one entire episode for without cringing.

You cringe easily. Full Metal Panic, Chrono Crusade, and Elfen Lied have good dubs.

Tessa's English VA >>>>>>>>> Tessa's Japanese VA

She sounds much cuter in English. Same goes for Rosette on Chrono Crusade. (Hilary Haag is one of my favorite English VAs)

(I like Neon Genesis Evangelion's dub too, but I can see where some people don't... Shinji's screams are obnoxious as all hell)

Crawly wrote:
Quote:
The usually put some effort into the DVD packaging too. That being said, their advertisements do suck, and they could do a bit more when it comes to extras.

I give them points for their packaging, though Funimation and Geneon have been better as of late when it comes to singles. As for the extras, can't put something on there that doesn't exist. A lot of the time, Japanese extras either can't be licensed or just don't exist. The dub extras, OTOH, overfloweth it feels like. And as I have no love for the dub, the in-house extras do nothing for me (except the sock puppets. I love the sock puppets). I'm glad others like them, though.

Examples? Only shows that come to mind are Evangelion and Chrono Crusade. Granted, the latter has some superior extras.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
Pleroma wrote:
Quote:
I don't, as ADV's extras are goddamn awful. I'm not buying these DVDs, as I loathe ADV and all they stand for. I'm just fine with purchasing the much superior Japanese release.

Huh? last I checked the other american licensors did not exactly go out of their way to provide quality extras. ADV has a good track record here and the Excel Saga treatment is in my opinion one of if not the best R1 DVD release out there. They also have generally good dubbing and creative ways of pushing their product.

He's probably just another pirate that holds a grudge against ADV for taking legal action against fansubbing groups that continued to distribute shows that they held the licenses too. I'd be willing to bet that it has nothing to do with the ADV DVD releases themselves.

Nah, he's probably just a sad idiotic moron who has no life all because ADV and other companies dared stop the various fansub groups from fansubbing his free anime!

I admit I have a lot of fansubs and when I can afford to, I'm definitely going to buy a lot of ADV's stuff amongst others including Nanaka 6/17, UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie and the full versions of Gravion/Gravion Zwei...

As for the stuff that's out as fansubs, I'd buy the official releases as well including the Zeta Gundam movies even tho I already have the TV-Nihon versions of the first two movies and of course Pani Poni Dash which really is as funny as a lot of people say it is...
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Without the vast army of "phonies" and "morons" there would be less anime available in English and it would cost a lot more.
That's fine for me! Just means I'd purchasing a whole lot more Japanese DVDs. Cost is no problem, really. If you love something, you'll give up as much money as you need to in order to get it.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
Nah, he's probably just a sad idiotic moron who has no life all because ADV and other companies dared stop the various fansub groups from fansubbing his free anime!
Seems you didn't read my previous post, where I say that I hate goddamn fansubbers, and comapnies are within their rights to take as much legal action as the damn well please. I also said I hate ADV for their shitty marketing, not because they stop fansubbers. You're just a moron who obviously can't read. I don't think anime should be free. If you like a series, you'll purchase it. There's no way I'd watch fansubs over beautifully authored discs (well, there are exceptions. Like this one with ADV. Because I hate them.)

BorgmanJayce wrote:
As for the stuff that's out as fansubs, I'd buy the official releases as well including the Zeta Gundam movies even tho I already have the TV-Nihon versions of the first two movies and of course Pani Poni Dash which really is as funny as a lot of people say it is...
I'd get Pani Poni Dash if any other comany had it. But, since I don't care to support all the phonies at ADV, I won't buy their product. Japan can have my cash. Now, if Geneon happened to get this series, I'd gladly pay for their DVDs.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
wildarmsheero wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

That's fine for me! Just means I'd purchasing a whole lot more Japanese DVDs. Cost is no problem, really. If you love something, you'll give up as much money as you need to in order to get it.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
Seems you didn't read my previous post, where I say that I hate goddamn fansubbers, and comapnies are within their rights to take as much legal action as the damn well please. I also said I hate ADV for their shitty marketing, not because they stop fansubbers. You're just a moron who obviously can't read. I don't think anime should be free. If you like a series, you'll purchase it. There's no way I'd watch fansubs over beautifully authored discs (well, there are exceptions. Like this one with ADV. Because I hate them.)

BorgmanJayce wrote:
I'd get Pani Poni Dash if any other comany had it. But, since I don't care to support all the phonies at ADV, I won't buy their product. Japan can have my cash. Now, if Geneon happened to get this series, I'd gladly pay for their DVDs.

That has truly got to be the most screwed-up and disturbed excuse for hating an anime distribution company yet... Because their marketing's crap!?!

I can't stop you from wasting shedloads of money on R2 Japanese DVD's [I'm a lucky sod as they'll play straight on the fly as the UK and Japan share the same region!Very Happy]

If it wasn't for fansubbers, we wouldn't have such a wide choice of anime these days including dare I say it, a lot of the stuff that you like so much...

If I dare say so, you, sir are a elitist moron of the first order who give true and decent anime fans who want to encourage others to join the cause a bad reputation!

It's self-righteous elitist twits like you who are going to set the anime and manga cause back years if you keep on with your attitude...

If you had even bothered to read MY post, I said that I was planning on buying some anime myself when I can afford to buy them as I want to support companies like ADV and Geneon...

BTW, FYI, I can read both in English and Kana as well plus a few Kanji... Very Happy

As for fansubs, if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have discovered the joys of Ninja Nonsense or One Piece or Naruto amongst other shows so give them the credit that they're due...

[If any mods are reading this, I'd like to apologise for my angry manner but I don't like it when people come up with really stupid and idiotic reasons for not liking a particular company and insulting other people's intelligence in a trollish manner...]
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
So much vitrol about how someone spends their own money.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:

What makes them phonies? They watch anime, they like the anime. So they don't watch as much as you, or they haven't watched it as long as you so that makes them "phonies". The only "morons" I've met in the anime fandom world are the elitists and purists who insist they are the true fans and all others are beneath them. People who usually sound just like you. I really don't get your beef with ADV's marketing, it's no different than most companies marketing and even the marketing of many Japanese companies, not to mention there's really not a whole lot of marketing to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
wildarmsheero wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Just a liiiitle bit selfish there? Not everyone has as much money as they need, which is why so far I only have two complete series in R2J. It is because I love them that I also have the complete set of one in R1 and R2E as well (the other is unlicensed thus far).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

If it wasn't for fansubbers, we wouldn't have such a wide choice of anime these days including dare I say it, a lot of the stuff that you like so much...
The idea of fansubbing is pretty neat, but it's usually poorly executed. That poor execution is what makes me hate most fansubbers.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
If I dare say so, you, sir are a elitist moron of the first order who give true and decent anime fans who want to encourage others to join the cause a bad reputation!
Are these "true and decent" fans the same guys I see running around Otakon, having sex with Pocky boxes and getting orgasms over some shitty American guests?

BorgmanJayce wrote:
It's self-righteous elitist twits like you who are going to set the anime and manga cause back years if you keep on with your attitude...
You make it sound like a revolution.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
BTW, FYI, I can read both in English and Kana as well plus a few Kanji... Very Happy
Yay, so can I.

BorgmanJayce wrote:
As for fansubs, if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have discovered the joys of Ninja Nonsense or One Piece or Naruto amongst other shows so give them the credit that they're due...
I can't take you seriously anymore, now that you've used the words "joy" and "Naruto" and same sentence.

Shiroi Hane wrote:

Just a liiiitle bit selfish there? Not everyone has as much money as they need, which is why so far I only have two complete series in R2J.
I was under the impression that anime fans by nature were selfish.

I think I pretty have said all I've wanted to say in this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3