• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Ships Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film BDs in Japan, U.S. on Same Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
nokishoff wrote:

Trust and Betrayal are good enough hard core fans will pick them up, but I doubt the other ova and the movie will sell well at these prices.

And it probably barely matters to Aniplex. As with KnK, these are the JP releases, just with the translated booklet thrown in. In the unlikely event they wind up with a large amount of unsold stock, they could always send them back to Japan and sell them there. It's not a very high risk venture for them. It's also the reason for the rather high price by US standards - they can't sell the same exact release in the US for a much lower price.

Otherwise, some enterprising Japanese fans will just order a bunch of cheaper releases in the US then sell it in Japan with a markup. Laughing

Given the demand, Japanese-style pricing might also be in order for Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari.

Isn't this pretty much exactly how Jlist, Animenation, Right Stuf and Robert's Anime Corner kinda sprung into being? Buy low sell high is a great way to profit. Very Happy (Not saying bad things here, but business is about making money and going from wholesale to retail is a price increase....)

Not exactly. This doesn't even involve wholesale - just from a lower retail price to a country with a higher retail price. That gap leaves a market for resellers. Smile
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
Sadly, Im more interested in that little one-liner about Madoka and Bakemono than I am the actual article ^^;

Great to hear those are in the works, and it's about dang time for Bakemonogatari. Here's hoping for some dubs...
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
infjeff wrote:

I'm just so curious to see how they might handle Kyubey's voice.

I personally think Monica Rial would do the voice of Kyubey's voice pretty good, she loves doing twisted characters, she does a great bratty child voice like hazuki in moonphase, give that type a voice a sadistic twist, and there you have an excellent Kyubey.

of course there will be a debate on who others think would do the part better. so I am trowing my 2 cents worth in now.

Oh what I would pay to have Monica Rial and Rie Kugimiya to just stand there and yell at me and.......... OPPS, sorry fantasies can sometimes take over my typing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Sadly, Im more interested in that little one-liner about Madoka and Bakemono than I am the actual article ^^;

Great to hear those are in the works, and it's about dang time for Bakemonogatari. Here's hoping for some dubs...
I'm with you bro. Never was a fan of Kenshin like that. But a possible announcement of Madoka and Bakemonogatari from the awesome Aniplex!?! I'm excited.
infjeff

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
infjeff wrote:

I'm just so curious to see how they might handle Kyubey's voice.

I personally think Monica Rial would do the voice of Kyubey's voice pretty good, she loves doing twisted characters, she does a great bratty child voice like hazuki in moonphase, give that type a voice a sadistic twist, and there you have an excellent Kyubey.

of course there will be a debate on who others think would do the part better. so I am trowing my 2 cents worth in now.

Oh what I would pay to have Monica Rial and Rie Kugimiya to just stand there and yell at me and.......... OPPS, sorry fantasies can sometimes take over my typing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

What I imagined is Johnny Yong Bosch doing a more high-pitched Koizumi. Or if they go for an actress maybe Luci Christian doing a more androgynous voice.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see that Aniplex is still using this method; hopefully these releases sell well. I have no qualms about paying a bit more for Aniplex releases in exchange for the fact that we're finally getting the same product as the Japanese, and not some lazily thrown together American release.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The question now is who terrible of an upscale will the Rurouni Kenshin stuff be. We're talking about blu-rays of shows made in the 90s so unless they are completely remastered, I don't know if I want to shell out that much cash for a horrid video quality. Heck, even if it's remastered, I don't know if its worth it if they mess with the art.

As for Bakemonogatari and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, that's certainly a surprising piece of news. Never thought any US company would dare to acquire "A-level" SHAFT works given how expensive they must be. However, considering that they acquired Kara no Kyoukai, I guess it should be no surprise. The questions for those two titles is how they will sell and how much Aniplex plans to print. Kara no Kyoukai had limited copies printed making it already out of print (or at least according to their site.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is a coin toss. To those that usually attend conventions or watch anime regularly, this won't be a problem. It becomes more of a problem to those who are new or looking to pick something up where this show may just be passed off as "another magical girl show" and thus ignored. I just hope that when they dub/sub this how they don't mess up a lot of references or key words. The show has far too many "clues" hidden within the dialogue that missing one could alter the meaning of the plot.

Similarly, Bakemonogatari is also a coin toss. It's also a type of story that western audiences are not familiar with let alone animated. Likewise, I also hope they take care in the dubbing/subbing for this since it's probably more sensitive that Madoka in terms of dialogue and context. SHAFT A-Level works are stuff I'm willing to pay to simply have them sit on my shelf shrink-wrapped for eternity Razz However, considering that Aniplex now has Durarara!! and Baccano! I guess one could say they have some experience with complex storytelling.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The question now is who terrible of an upscale will the Rurouni Kenshin stuff be. We're talking about blu-rays of shows made in the 90s so unless they are completely remastered, I don't know if I want to shell out that much cash for a horrid video quality. Heck, even if it's remastered, I don't know if its worth it if they mess with the art.

Bzzzt. These were all drawn on cels, photographed onto 35mm film. No upscales here; they're getting new HD telecines. They should look very good. "Remastering" is a meaningless term that's more a buzzword than anything else and can mean absolutely anything, which is why PR people love to use it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Were the Trust and Betrayal OVAs shot digitally or on film? I've never seen them myself, but if they're digital I'd be wary of BDs.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As much as I'd like that to happen, I don't think it will. I think Aniplex is more into using actors from companies like Bandai or Viz. I think Kari Wahlgren might be good as Kyubey. I liked her performance as Kagami from Lucky Star, and Kagami and Kyubey both have the same Japanese voice actress (Emiri Katou), so maybe she'll be good as Kyubey. But I wonder if she's done male voices before?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Were the Trust and Betrayal OVAs shot digitally or on film? I've never seen them myself, but if they're digital I'd be wary of BDs.

What's Trust and Betrayal? I've only heard of Tsuioku-hen. ;p

None of the OVAs or the movie were done digitally.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The OVAs have some CG work in them - namely, they do some of the water either as CG or as taking shots of real water and putting it in as some sort of composite shot, and Kenshin has that top he sometimes plays with that's made with computer animation.

From what I understand, CG elements are something that makes animation harder to remaster at a higher resolution, because it's created to be at a certain resolution. I'm not sure how they deal with that, but I also heard they were doing a new telecine print, so I'll just hope they got everything sussed out so it all looks great.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
The OVAs have some CG work in them - namely, they do some of the water either as CG or as taking shots of real water and putting it in as some sort of composite shot, and Kenshin has that top he sometimes plays with that's made with computer animation.

There's what, maybe 20 seconds worth of CG effects, and maybe a minute's worth of live action effects, aside from the ED sequence. (Just speaking of Tsuioku-hen here, the less I remember of Seisou-hen, the better). Both of which are pretty irrelevant towards doing an HD telecine. CG and live action effects were printed onto film. Those effects will just appear less detailed/softer than the 2D cel animation. It's still a film based anime, regardless of a few effects shots, and it still has to be transferred from film to video.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

As much as I'd like that to happen, I don't think it will. I think Aniplex is more into using actors from companies like Bandai or Viz. I think Kari Wahlgren might be good as Kyubey. I liked her performance as Kagami from Lucky Star, and Kagami and Kyubey both have the same Japanese voice actress (Emiri Katou), so maybe she'll be good as Kyubey. But I wonder if she's done male voices before?

the only problem is, we do not know if aniplex is going to release madoka and bakemono, or if they are hinting at another company is licensing them from aniplex, they did the same kinda thing with working!! and people thought aniplex was going to release it, but turned out NIS America licensed it from aniples, so untill they are announced we can only speculate as to who might be announcing them later on
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

As for Bakemonogatari and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, that's certainly a surprising piece of news. Never thought any US company would dare to acquire "A-level" SHAFT works given how expensive they must be. However, considering that they acquired Kara no Kyoukai, I guess it should be no surprise. The questions for those two titles is how they will sell and how much Aniplex plans to print. Kara no Kyoukai had limited copies printed making it already out of print (or at least according to their site.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is a coin toss. To those that usually attend conventions or watch anime regularly, this won't be a problem. It becomes more of a problem to those who are new or looking to pick something up where this show may just be passed off as "another magical girl show" and thus ignored. I just hope that when they dub/sub this how they don't mess up a lot of references or key words. The show has far too many "clues" hidden within the dialogue that missing one could alter the meaning of the plot.

Similarly, Bakemonogatari is also a coin toss. It's also a type of story that western audiences are not familiar with let alone animated. Likewise, I also hope they take care in the dubbing/subbing for this since it's probably more sensitive that Madoka in terms of dialogue and context. SHAFT A-Level works are stuff I'm willing to pay to simply have them sit on my shelf shrink-wrapped for eternity Razz However, considering that Aniplex now has Durarara!! and Baccano! I guess one could say they have some experience with complex storytelling.

they don't need acquire Kara no Kyoukai. They just release the Japanese version in US. Since they the same company, they don't have to pay any fees to release them outside of Japan lol.

Just like Viz, they don't have to pay acquire any Shogakukan and Shueisha manga titles. Rather or not they will release them all in US or not is another story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5