• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Ships Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film BDs in Japan, U.S. on Same Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
ittoujuu wrote:
The OVAs have some CG work in them - namely, they do some of the water either as CG or as taking shots of real water and putting it in as some sort of composite shot, and Kenshin has that top he sometimes plays with that's made with computer animation.

There's what, maybe 20 seconds worth of CG effects, and maybe a minute's worth of live action effects, aside from the ED sequence. (Just speaking of Tsuioku-hen here, the less I remember of Seisou-hen, the better). Both of which are pretty irrelevant towards doing an HD telecine. CG and live action effects were printed onto film. Those effects will just appear less detailed/softer than the 2D cel animation. It's still a film based anime, regardless of a few effects shots, and it still has to be transferred from film to video.

Maybe they'll do something similar to the Utena remaster and just replace it with higher-quality CGI and/or photography.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

oh now I remember, they were asked about the anime working!! during the time they announced Durarara, and they said a similar statement as well, but I could be wrong.....

nope I found the article, here it is: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-03/aniplex-of-america-adds-durarara-anime

kinda similar don't you think Razz

NISA getting Madoka would be pretty nice.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
It's nice to see that Aniplex is still using this method; hopefully these releases sell well. I have no qualms about paying a bit more for Aniplex releases in exchange for the fact that we're finally getting the same product as the Japanese, and not some lazily thrown together American release.

You're right. It's the main reason why I've been avoiding buying most of US releases. Anyone can download or watch streams. Anime fans in Japan, majority of them living in Tokyo area, can watch hyped anime titles on their TV. It's the bonus materials that tempt hardcore fans to spend so much on videos. Japanese companies have been doing this for 20+ years.

NIS understands the attractiveness of bonus materials so well. I just bought Persona Trinity soul when it was on sale. I'm glad that American company like Right Stuff is doing the same thing with Utena.

A lot of people who are not used to pay high price on Anime videos may not like it. It's the economic reality of anime business that western fans have been ignorant to. When people watch anime for free or at low cost, not everyone who have watched it will not buy the video. That applies to any medium live or animated. I've watching shows like "Fringe", but I still haven't bought the video.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
The prices on those Kenshin releases place them outside my "what I'm willing to pay for 30 minutes of animation" range. Though the movie is obviously longer, but it's also the only thing I don't already own on DVD, as I had no interest in it.

I also couldn't care less about Madoka, but the Bakemonogatari news has piqued my attention. Please let that line in the article mean they are going to license it to a US company, so we can get it at a normal person price? Please?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I also couldn't care less about Madoka, but the Bakemonogatari news has piqued my attention. Please let that line in the article mean they are going to license it to a US company, so we can get it at a normal person price?

I'm not sure that Aniplex's price would be too abnormal if they do release Madoka or Bakemonogatari, since it won't be a simultaneous release with Japan (obviously why the Kenshin and Kara no Kyoukai releases were pricey). Durarara!! was well-priced, and the Baccano! BD release was near-perfect with a significantly cheaper price than what I paid for the Japanese set.

I'm hoping for either Aniplex, NISA, or Nozomi to release the two series, although I'm doubtful about the latter two (and Nozomi still has yet to say anything about BD, which is the only way that I'll buy either show)...
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
It's nice to see that Aniplex is still using this method; hopefully these releases sell well. I have no qualms about paying a bit more for Aniplex releases in exchange for the fact that we're finally getting the same product as the Japanese, and not some lazily thrown together American release.

^^
this

I will definitely buy those OVAs. Also, good news about Bakemono and Madoka. Both shows deserve a good release, and we will hopefully get that.

Quote:
The prices on those Kenshin releases place them outside my "what I'm willing to pay for 30 minutes of animation" range. Though the movie is obviously longer, but it's also the only thing I don't already own on DVD, as I had no interest in it.

I also couldn't care less about Madoka, but the Bakemonogatari news has piqued my attention. Please let that line in the article mean they are going to license it to a US company, so we can get it at a normal person price? Please?

Hm, for me it works differently. As a collector, I couldn't care less about price/'. What I want is the added value to a show I have already seen for free. Thats the reason I also detest some the latest Funis barebone/halfassed releases. Its a matter of personal preference though really, the best would be to have the option for both.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
I probably won't get these, since I have never seen them before plus the price seems a bit too high for my tastes. Even though I am a collector I like and prefer cheaper priced releases due to the limited budget that I have to run on.

I wish AOA (my acronym of Aniplex of America) would have cheaper releases for those who want cheaper priced releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it was specifically stated in article... but are these bluray releases for kenshin going to be digital remasters?

I'd assume so... o_o?

-edit- nvm i found it on aniplex's site

All 4 OVA episodes
Total Running Time: 125 min.
1080 Hi-def picture, digitally remastered
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
All 4 OVA episodes
Total Running Time: 125 min.
1080 Hi-def picture, digitally remastered

Just keep in mind that the Tsuioku-hen Blu-ray will be 1440x1080 (4:3), which is the original aspect ratio of the 4 OVA episodes. They won't be cropping it to 16:9 like the director's-cut.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
@Cyber

I'm not exactly an expert on the 4:3 , 16:9. Basically what I'm getting at is the director's cut is more of a wide screen view and the 4:3 is full?

Im curious if th Blurays will look better than the director's cut then?
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
You could think of it as wide vs full if you want. The basic idea is something as follows for the original 4:3 source frames played back on a wide-screen TV:

Original 4:3 frame on 16:9 TV with black boxes on the sides

4:3 frame with the top and bottom of the frame cropped off to make it 16:9.

Since the original source was animated to a 4:3 aspect ratio, that is what you want and it will yield the highest quality for the remaster. I only mention it because many people nowadays expect everything on Blu-ray to be 16:9 (wide), which is not the case here. Aniplex is being stupid and showing all their screen caps and blu-ray trailers in 16:9 with small footnotes that the Blu-ray will be in the original 4:3 aspect ratio. Now if you must have a wide 16:9 picture, many TVs have zoom/crop functions to turn 4:3 sources into 16:9, if that is what you desire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5