• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Marshmallow Fields

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Great column! So, I was wondering- Carlos, do you know fluent Japanese? I mean, how else can you give earnest reviews to some of the "Import of the Month" titles? I'm particularly curious about reading the Haruhi novels, since I loved the anime, and I'm also eager to see how the time lines of the novels match or don't match the crazy nonlinear style of the tv show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Strawberry Marshmellow I tried to read in the store, and I just felt way too uncomfortable reading it.

It seemed waaaaay too, well, pedo/lolicon to me. I'm not sure if I've just spent too much time on the internet, but Strawberry Marshmellow just disturbed me.
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Yea about Haruhi novels, how many are there? Hopefully we will see a US release, altho I guess it's not too too likely.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I believe the 8th Haruhi novel just came out or is coming out soon.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Air Gear= B-? Meh, though I really have no right to complain since I don't have a column on a respected industry website.
Jadress: I don't know if Carlo can read Japanese or not, but to my knowlege every import he's reviewed has been scanslated. I have yet to read the novels, but I'm just finishing up the brilliant Haurhi Suzumiya anime, so I'll probobly get to them after that.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
As for YOKI KOTO KIKU the story of the nekogami clan sounds too much like the plot of the famous (and available in English) Japanese mystery The Inugami Clan. In both one male character is away at war and three sisters are trying to grasp the family fortune after the family patriarch has died. There is also a young woman caught up in the events in both stories. I smell a parody here.

BTW For fans of the Kindaichi manga from TOKYOPOP The Inugami Clan is one of the mysteries that inspired the manga as it stars the grandfather of the manga hero.

http://www.heian.com/asian_literature/TheInugamiClan1.htm
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Great column! So, I was wondering- Carlos, do you know fluent Japanese? I mean, how else can you give earnest reviews to some of the "Import of the Month" titles? I'm particularly curious about reading the Haruhi novels, since I loved the anime, and I'm also eager to see how the time lines of the novels match or don't match the crazy nonlinear style of the tv show.

Actually, my Japanese is about kindergarten-level, so I do use fan translations to check out imports. In accordance with ANN law, I can't tell you where to find the Haruhi novel translated, but such a thing does exist. (You don't even have to do any fancy-pants filesharing. Wink)

Cowpunk wrote:
As for YOKI KOTO KIKU the story of the nekogami clan sounds too much like the plot of the famous (and available in English) Japanese mystery The Inugami Clan. In both one male character is away at war and three sisters are trying to grasp the family fortune after the family patriarch has died. There is also a young woman caught up in the events in both stories. I smell a parody here.

Yes, as explained in the review, Yoki Koto Kiku parodies EVERYTHING. There's even a one-page summary of The Inugami Clan in the translation notes.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah you'd have to "project" *dot* your "baka" *slash* and consider the moon "tsuki" on the *dot* "net" to find it (or just PM the nearest Haruhi fan, there's tons of them) I consider book 2 a lot more fun thus far but then Strato (the a.f.k translator *love*) is involved in the work. It feels a lot more natural to read. I'd totally hire him/her to do the translation if I could license Haruhi or even had an anime company Anime cry. So rocks...*massive kudos*

EDIT - Oh and timeline, here's the official guide for chronological order through 6 volumes

On a personal note...they HAVE TO animate Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Endless Eight. The former for the resolution of the "Tanabata Incident" and the 2nd because it's just plain cool.

Volume 1 – The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (in the series 2,3,5,10,13,14)
Volume 2 - Prologue
Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi (baseball chapter, episode 4)
Volume 3 - Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (ties in with volume 4, not animated)
Volume 3 - Mysterique Sign (episode 7 in the series)
Volume 3 - Lone Island Syndrome (episode 6 and 8)
Volume 5 - Endless Eight (referenced on the show's website in an in-joke but not animted)
Volume 2 – Certain short stories, primarily the film's making-of
Volume 6 - Asahina Mikuru's Adventure Episode 00 (episode 1)
Volume 6 - LIVE ALIVE ( episode 12)
Volume 5 - The Day of Sagittarius (episode 11)
+ Roughly where Episode 9 is chronologically, it's an original story.
Volume 4 – The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi (widely speculated as the backbone of a 2nd season)
Volume 6 - Charmed at First Sight LOVER
Volume 5 - Snow Mountain Syndrome (loose sequel to Lone Island Syndrome)
Volume 6 - Where Did the Cat Go? (loose sequel to Lone Island Syndrome)
Volume 6 - The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru (ties in with volume 7)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Cowpunk wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what it is supposed to be. Koge-Donbo mentioned it at AX when she was there. Got a nice T-shirt too.

Surprised it got a halfway decent review though. Most of Broccoli's books here seem to get horrible reviews.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Cowpunk wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what it is supposed to be. Koge-Donbo mentioned it at AX when she was there. Got a nice T-shirt too.

Surprised it got a halfway decent review though. Most of Broccoli's books here seem to get horrible reviews.

I also remember her(koge-Donbo) saying it got alot of mixed reviews in japan. It defintaly is not like her standard fare.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
My mistake. Strato is separate from that. But I like his version more. You can find it through a.f.k who did anime fan-subs.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If "not winning things" were a special power, I'd be a hero.
I feel the same way as well. I never win raffles myself. On the other hand, I do better at getting stuff for free that does not involve a raffle.

Great review on the Import of the Month! I read somewhere that basically all of the Haruhi novels are best sellers on Amazon Japan. I would like to look forward to someone getting the novel and anime over here some day.

Quote:
If the novel could be faulted for anything, it's that it's more of an aspiring nerd's philosophy manual disguised as a school story, rather than a genuine story in itself.
Quite an interesting con.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Great review on the Import of the Month! I read somewhere that basically all of the Haruhi novels are best sellers on Amazon Japan. I would like to look forward to someone getting the novel and anime over here some day.

Quote:
If the novel could be faulted for anything, it's that it's more of an aspiring nerd's philosophy manual disguised as a school story, rather than a genuine story in itself.
Quite an interesting con.
Now, just what is an "aspiring nerd," anyway? Is it a nerd who aspires to something greater (like being a philosopher) or someone who aspires to be a nerd? ("Man, I wanna be a nerd, I gotta start going to Star Trek conventions, watching anime, playing Starcraft...")

And hey, if the novel series of a little-known fansubbed series like Shinigami no Ballad got licensed, I think the Haruhi novels have an excellent chance, especially once the anime gets licensed and takes off.

And as a sidenote, why is this column called "Right Turn Only"? I don't read it too much, so I don't know the history & lore of it Sad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

And as a sidenote, why is this column called "Right Turn Only"? I don't read it too much, so I don't know the history & lore of it Sad

Which way does manga read?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Which way does manga read?

Ah ah, but the column HAS reviewed flopped titles before (not to mention novels). But that's nitpicking; like Zac said, it refers to how manga reads in the original Japanese (right-to-left).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2