• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AX 2006: 41K in 4 Days

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
Wow, simply amazing. I definetly want to go next year. That'll probably be my vacation since I won't go to Japan next year. And that's an 8000 person difference in attendance. Thank Anime Expo!!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Wow, simply amazing. I definetly want to go next year. That'll probably be my vacation since I won't go to Japan next year. And that's an 8000 person difference in attendance. Thank Anime Expo!!

Yea too bad it will be in Long beach......augh what a diaster that is going to be. Fourth of July weekend every anime fan in town and then all the folks heading out to the beach. I think you might have to put me down for a skip next year.

Not only that all everything is outside at the Long beach arena, so everyone will be dieing of heat and the cosplayers will be extra sweaty.......gross.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

BTW I went Monday to AX and it wasn't that bad, a couple of my friends (who work at ACC) said Sat/Sun was so packed I can't even imagine next year. That is assuming the attendance once again continues on the upswing.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yea too bad it will be in Long beach......augh what a diaster that is going to be. Fourth of July weekend every anime fan in town and then all the folks heading out to the beach. I think you might have to put me down for a skip next year.

Not only that all everything is outside at the Long beach arena, so everyone will be dieing of heat and the cosplayers will be extra sweaty.......gross.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

BTW I went Monday to AX and it wasn't that bad, a couple of my friends (who work at ACC) said Sat/Sun was so packed I can't even imagine next year. That is assuming the attendance once again continues on the upswing.

Yeah, it certainly was convenient for me this year, BTW this was my first year going. But if everybody goes out to the beach then the place won't be so jam packed. I was thinking of cosplaying for next year, but with it in Long Beach, I'd better consider carefully what I'm gonna cosplay. Oh well.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Yeah, it certainly was convenient for me this year, BTW this was my first year going. But if everybody goes out to the beach then the place won't be so jam packed. I was thinking of cosplaying for next year, but with it in Long Beach, I'd better consider carefully what I'm gonna cosplay. Oh well.

Likewise this was my first time ever going, I brought my GF along as well and she was scarred of how strange anime fans really are. She told me some girl dress in a fairy called her crazy when she was in the bathroom, I think she will never go again. Well also I got to see Yatta dance.......really gross......that will haunt everyone (that saw them) dreams I bet for the next couple of years.

You could always Cosplay as Yatta......you'll be cool (not like Cool dude Cool) and you'll certainly draw enough attention. If I cosplay I want to go as like Johan but there nothing really disguising about his costume to make him stand out. Otherwise I might go as Kenshin I have the Kimono (that would keep cool at least too) and the Sakaba as well. The only thing that would be an issue is the wig.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
Dude, I got a picture of those guys!! I was simply amazed at the cosplay this year. I saw an elderly woman dressed up as Kaede from Inuyasha!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Dude, I got a picture of those guys!! I was simply amazed at the cosplay this year.
Oh dear is your camera alright is the shutter still working? Had to spoke fun sorry, I wish my camera had some "variety" my GF had it most of the day and was taking pictures of every single Kingdom Heart (the only thing she did know there) character she saw. I got a few those of someone in a StrongMad suit, and it had the cheat on top of it. Best cosplay ever.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote
i bet a considerable number of that is attributed to Romi Paku's attendance... only to discover that she didn't show up after all. tsk, pity.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
i bet a considerable number of that is attributed to Romi Paku's attendance... only to discover that she didn't show up after all. tsk, pity.
or to that one group of Japanese women that wrote a few of them "manga" thingies awhile back... there was one about capturing cards, one about computers, one about angels and layers, hmm, it all escapes my memory Shocked
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
or to that one group of Japanese women that wrote a few of them "manga" thingies awhile back... there was one about capturing cards, one about computers, one about angels and layers, hmm, it all escapes my memory Shocked

You mean CLAMP? Man, I wasn't able to see them Sad
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Nope that couldn't be the reason why.....j/k I bet it was because everyone wanted to play NARUTO clash of NINJA........or maybe not.

fighterholic wrote:
You mean CLAMP? Man, I wasn't able to see them Sad
I know I am not the only who thinks that the name CLAMP sounds like a bad hentai title, admit it we all that what you were thinking.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S.
sarcasm wrote:
Zalis you talking about Card Capture Sutura (WOW spelling sorry)????
dokool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
I've heard that despite all of the hype for CLAMP, their panel was only half-full and out-attended by quite a few other events. Can anyone confirm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
I would hope Clamp (the team claims it has something to do with potatoes every time I see them asked about the name) would have been packed. I know when Tokyopop brought Masami Tsuda to Comic-con last year, the room was packed.
My daughter used to want to attend Anime Expo, but the more she hears about what it's actually like there, the happier she is with the local con we have every year. Wow. We only had 104,000 attendees last year.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
The attendance number calculated by AX is a bit misleading. Just recently they have been counting people who get Exhibit Hall passes since more people are buying them. I rather would like a full break down of how many people went and who registered but never came and so forth.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
41,000? How can they manage such a jump? Hell, what's the max capacity of the Anaheim Convention Center?
LordRobin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the surge in attendence, not only to AX, but all other conventions as well, has a lot to do with the cosplaying craze. I mean, it's always been a big part of anime fandom, but it's huge now. And serious cosplayers don't care about most of the events.

I know this from observing my serious cosplaying wife and her serious cosplaying friends. They attended all four days of AX with me. In four days, my wife's friends attended one panel (Koge Donbo), and my wife went to the masquerade with me. Other than entering the exhibit hall, I don't think they used their badges at any other time. They spent almost the entire four days outside, mugging for pictures and attending cosplay gatherings.

It's no wonder small cons suck so hard for non-cosplayers. With tons of cosplayers ready for any excuse to get in front a camera, who needs to schedule anything to do?

------RM
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3