• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes spoiler[people have to find a certain way to get rid of the pain that they suffer, and smiling is Momiji's way of not feeling that pain. Sad that his mother wasn't even brave enough to face the fact that she couldn't even look at her child, but maybe that had to do with the fact that she did know what she was getting into when she married into the Sohma family, for she is German. Therefore Tohru had to come in to relieve the pain. And that's what we have dear Tohru for.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
So Volume 4. I love how in the beginning there are subtle references to spoiler[Kyo's growing feelings for Tohru, and by the end you can definitely see them. Like how it's getting harder and harder for Kyo to refuse a request from Tohru. And then on the last page we see the quote that Lydia mentioned about the feelings in his heart.] Embarassed Sigh. So good.

Plus I noticed during this read through the during the chapter when they visit Kyoko's grave, spoiler[Kyo's strange behavior and facial expressions. I never knew what they meant or didn't even notice, but after reading Volume 16 where we find out that Kyo knew Tohru's mother, many things make more sense. Like how Hana-chan could sense Kyo's feelings of regret and just his facial/emotions when at the grave and knowing they are going to the grave]. Very interesting!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Plus I noticed during this read through the during the chapter when they visit Kyoko's grave, spoiler[Kyo's strange behavior and facial expressions. I never knew what they meant or didn't even notice, but after reading Volume 16 where we find out that Kyo knew Tohru's mother, many things make more sense. Like how Hana-chan could sense Kyo's feelings of regret and just his facial/emotions when at the grave and knowing they are going to the grave]. Very interesting!

When I went back to read that, I tried to think of spoiler[what was going on in Kyo's head. Even when I didn't know everything that was going on when the series was still young, when you had read up to volume 11 you could tell that there was something going on and Kyo felt some kind of connection to Tohru. It's funny how Hana-chan could sense things too, I don't think she could just "feel" waves.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
We're #34!

I think that's just wonderful!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
We're #34!

I think that's just wonderful!

Now we need some more time to climb into the top 10. From there we shall establish ourselves for sure.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I think that well get higher up as we get closer to the end!

Okay, everyone! Get ready to read Vol. 5. I will start that discussion before I go to work tomorrow!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that well get higher up as we get closer to the end!

Okay, everyone! Get ready to read Vol. 5. I will start that discussion before I go to work tomorrow!

Bring it on and with the hopes we'll be in the top 10 of the booklist next week!! Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Okay Exclamation It's Friday and you know what that means! Another week of fun-filled discussion of our Favorite manga, Fruits Basket! This week we will be discussing FB Volume #5. Are you ready? Let's Go!

This volume starts out with everyone going to a lake for Golden Week. And, of course, Shigure is being snarky and saying that the "Jason" you find a lakes is a type of bear...which Kyo and Tohru believe and Hatori begins to develop a headache. Laughing Naturally, the whole lake visit is another reason to torture Shigure's poor, poor editor. But the main reason is for Hatori's sake spoiler[since it's Kana's wedding day.]

I liked how Aayme and Shigure said that Hatori spoiler[shouldn't allow people to push their troubles onto him and Hatori's thinking "These two should know" and underneath the framed is arrows pointing to Aayme and Shigure with "chief suppliers of Hatori's trouble."] Priceless! But, it also shows how much Aayme really truly cares for Hatori when he says spoiler["I want you to be two thousand times happier than you would be with Kana-kun." That goes to show how serious Aayme can actually be.]

We are introduced to another member of the Sohma family, cute adorable Kisa! The Tiger. We discover that, like the other members of the Zodiac we've met thus far, she also has difficulties in every day life. The spoiler[teasing she suffers at school] is her burden and she deals with it by not spoiler[talking. We also discover that at one point in time, Yuki also refused to talk as well.]

On pages 92-96 are really insightful. Tohru tells Kisa's mother how she felt when she was spoiler[teased] and what she did to try and hide it and the results that occurred. I found it to be another case of while Tohru is outwardly a ditz, there is someone very deep and insightful on the inside...not that that person sticks around for very long. Wink

I liked another good part when Yuki and Haru read the letter from Kisa's teacher. Yuki told Kisa spoiler[That he also had refused to speak, for different reasons, but it was still similar. He also said that people like the Teacher didn't get it. That if the only things you knew about yourself were things that you hated, that the "good things" would feel forced and empty. That you needed someone else accept you and to point out the good things about you.] And because of that discussion and watching Kisa's struggle, Yuki took a deep breath and stepped into the deep end in his own way.

Then we get Chapter 29, which is probably one of the most funniest chapters in the manga and certainly the funniest in the anime: The Prince Yuki Fan Club girls spoiler[going to Hana's home!] What a riot! And we also meet her little brother, Megumi, and learn that his talent is spoiler[reciprocating curses with increased intensity that he's just a bit proud of.]

Another great volume! Okay, guys! Your turn!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I think it was one of the most hilarious ways to introduce a character, and the character pick was so right for it. No one can outdo Megumi!! Very Happy spoiler[Watching Hana-chan take on the Prince Yuki fangirls with their trying to take her out as well as Tohru was funny, but also we got to see a side of Hana-chan we didn't expect, and that was because she was jealous. Jealous of the fact that Tohru was starting to spend less time with her and Uo, and more with the Sohmas. And that's where Megumi comes in and says things that give her confidence and saves her from losing herself. This is the beginning of what we see of the relationship between this brother and sister pairing, and it is one of the strongest bonds we see in the series as well.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
Megumi is a pretty savvy kid isn't he? While he isn't all that prominent in the storyline, when he does appear...his appearance is very necessary to the storyline.

I like the kid! Much better than the kid that goes spoiler[baaaa!] But, on that score, it's sort of the point, isn't it?

And I've always wondered...what did Megumi curse the PYFG's with...either that or I don't remember... Question
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And I've always wondered...what did Megumi curse the PYFG's with...either that or I don't remember... Question

I think spoiler[all Saki said was that if Megumi knew people's names then he could curse them. Don't know exactly what that was, but the effects were supposed to take place in seven days.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I can finally post in this thread! I've read Fruit's Basket!

In best Leo DiCaprio voice:

I'm the God of Zodiac!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I really am happy to finally be entering the world of the Furuba manga. Having adored the TV series, I'm finding I like the manga even more!

First, I have to say that I love Kisa as much as Tohru does. I can honestly say that identify with her on a very deep level. A large part of my early school experience was much like her's. Ultimately, I went the spoiler[Kyo route and started hurting people that pushed me too far, but, like Kisa, I didn't tell my parents about any of the bullying I got. I only acknowledged it if I had no choice. I can honestly say that I hated myself back then. It wasn't until I made some friends who started pointing out my good qualities, that I started to like myself even a little. Everything Yuki said is true. Also, what Tohru said a little ways back, about our good qualities being on our backs like with rice balls, it's the truth.] Seeing Kisa spoiler[overcome, if even just a little, the pain of what she'd been through really makes me feel a bit happier about life]. I adore Kisa and I feel very personally connected to her.

Second, I don't think Megumi actually spoiler[cursed the Yuki fangirls at all. I think he let them off with a warning]. I can't wait to see more of him. (There will be more with him, right?)

Third, I don't know why exactly, but the scene where Tohru notices that Hatori is sleeping, it just seems very poignant to me. He always seems burdened, it speaks volumes about him that he can be so relaxed in that setting. Seeing his reaction to spoiler[Kana's wedding], the way he remembers Tohru's smiling face when he thinks about how he feels, it's so different from how you first think of his character. He's such a kind, gentle person at heart.

Fourth, I love the stuff with Kyo and Tohru near the end, when spoiler[she's gotten sick and he makes dinner for her]. The look on his face, like it's almost painful for him to try and be honest with his feelings, it's just amazing. (Also, it says a lot about how Kyo thinks of himself compared to her when he says spoiler[the food he made is crap compared to Tohru's cooking].)

Fifth, Shigure, leave that poor woman alone! Stop torturing her! Also, I've always been a little surprised he of all people would know about Jason!
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Richard J. is joining us and hopefully you will become a fruitsbasketaholic(sp? heh) as well. Very Happy

So I really loved Volume 5 (I think I love every volume, but I digress). I really did enjoy the chapter about Hana-chan and Megumi because this is the first time that the series goes into a little more depth and her and her brother, so it's nice to see them in action. Laughing

Richard J. wrote:
Fourth, I love the stuff with Kyo and Tohru near the end, when spoiler[she's gotten sick and he makes dinner for her]. The look on his face, like it's almost painful for him to try and be honest with his feelings, it's just amazing. (Also, it says a lot about how Kyo thinks of himself compared to her when he says spoiler[the food he made is crap compared to Tohru's cooking].)

Sigh, I love this moment too. I think that during every volume discussion I have to bring up a spoiler[Kyo/Tohru moment]. Heh. Embarassed spoiler[I just love how you can see Kyo's emotions in his face as Richard said, and it's becoming more and more direct and obvious about how Kyo feels for Tohru. And now he is even realizing it himself as well. ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
YAY Exclamation Richard J. has come to play!

Richard J. wrote:
it's so different from how you first think of his character. He's such a kind, gentle person at heart.

Yes, he is isn't he!

Quote:
Fifth, Shigure, leave that poor woman alone! Stop torturing her! Also, I've always been a little surprised he of all people would know about Jason!

Laughing Poor Mii-chan! But, in some ways she does hold her own against him. She just needs a lot of what many members of the Zodiac need.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Welcome Richard!

I completely agree with you about Kisa, she's one of my favorite Furuba characters for much the same reason as you. I was something of an outsider during my middle- and high-school days, too.

Kisa's story was completely heartbreaking to me. spoiler[Not that any of the zodiac have an easy time dealing with the curse, but Kisa seemed like she suffered worse than the others. And to see her find a loving oneesan in Tohru was wonderful. I think Shigure said it best when he said watching the two interact warmed the heart. I love how Haru behaves like a protective older brother to Kisa. He went out looking for her, he barely reacted when Kisa bit him and he cared enough for Kisa to share her story, finding help for her with Tohru and Yuki.]

On to the Kyo/Tohru moment. spoiler[I think the chapter where Kyo cooks for Tohru was the first time I saw the potential for them becoming a couple. I love how Kyo cares enough for Tohru to not only cook her a meal when she's ill, but also to encourage her to talk to him, to complain to him about what's been bothering her. I think Tohru talking to Kyo about her feelings of failure, feelings that she's letting her mother down and breaking her promise, did as much to heal Tohru as Kyo's porridge and Hatori's medicine. And, it was cute how Momiji and Kisa tagged along with Hatori to see how Tohru was feeling.]

-Murph
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 90 of 170