• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Yup. When I mean fighting games, I mean: DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, and ALL HAIL Marvel vs. Capcom 2!!
For the record, Kyo's beads spoiler[are made of human bones and blood, so as to keep the true curse of the Nekotsuki in check. The price: human lives and sacrifices.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Okay, I read chapters 126, 127, 128, spoiler[and by ways I cannot disclose here, but I thought they turned out to be very interesting. The fact that Akito has decided not to enclose Kyo in the room has to be called a victory in a way. Not only will Kyo not have to go, but the room will also be destroyed. But I can tell that Akito still doesn't, and probably will never like Kyo. But at this point, that really doesn't matter anymore. Plus, he's shown how much he's matured since meeting Tohru, and that shows when he faces his father, who's not changed at all since the last time they saw each other.]
I don't how, but Hanachan spoiler[figured out that AKito is a woman, although probably by her feeling bad about stabbing Kureno might have given it away. But it looked like Arisa is a forgiving person also. Now what I don't get is, did Arisa quit school and go with Kureno? Or did he just leave and she travelled with him to the place where he was going, and then come back.]
Lastly, I see that spoiler[the relationship between Yuki and Machi is trying to develop, and Yuki is about to reveal the biggest secret of his life, which I will find out very soon Machi's reaction to this, if it comes up in 129.]
To close, I see that the Zodiac spoiler[is being called together, be they cursed or not.] Will read more soon.

Wow, you did get updated as ever. Laughing For Akito spoiler[I think that for a long time from now on will struggle with her demons. The fact that she stabbed Kureno followed by the fact that she destroyed that room especially prepared for Kyo makes me think that she has a long time from now on to surpass all the things in which she has believed so far and which proved to be wrong. She thought she had the right to torment and the right to close people because she was brought up that way but on the other hand the things that she has done will not be forgiven easily, or at least this is what I think. I mean Tohru may be like the only person who will pass over the things that Akito has done to her (cause Tohru is a very forgiving person) but on the other hand the zodiacs suffered much more deeply and this will be seen I think in the later chapters.]
Next... Ah, Kyo...spoiler[Oh, yes, now we can see that he has matured in way that no one would have expected at the beginning of the manga. And the encounter with his father proved that. I felt really sorry for him when I saw that he was accused by his own father to have killed his mother. It was horrible. To say that even now to a kid is horrible. And I particularly hated his father when he told him that he will fight to see Kyo locked. I wanted to punch him if he was a real character. Shocked But he is not and therefore I could only scream. Laughing ]
As for Kureno and Arisa... I have the same problem...spoiler[ namely even now after a while I couldn't figure out the answer to your question whcih is also my question. I would like to see the newest chapters cause maybe, just maybe they might explain this. I am also much more confused whether they left together somewhere or Kureno decided to be by Arisa's side now that he is finally free..Damn, I don't know. Confused ]

fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
Yup. When I mean fighting games, I mean: DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, and ALL HAIL Marvel vs. Capcom 2!!

Once I was too into this, though I'm a girl. Well, actually the only game I was ever good on and that in spite of being a girl is Call of Duty. (though it's not a street game Smile )But a clumsy person like me couldn't keep up the pace and quit. Embarassed

cerulean88 wrote:
Quote:
btw aya_honda, it's geography =p only 8 people out of 150 takes it, which i think is kinda sad actually cause i think it's a really cool subject =( Ouuuu~ I would love to see your t-shirt btw o.o all my siblings and I have anime/manga related obsessions in one way or the other Anime smallmouth’’ so they won’t really laugh at me even if I become like this really obsessed and seemingly have no life person XP wait arrghh!! Is kyo’s bracelet black and white?? My friend said that it is and I was like “isn’t it dark purple and white??” and she was like “O.o no…” forget the picture ;_____; but I was so sure that it was dark purple and white!?

Actually your post did arrived and I answered to it but the forum crash erased some of the latest posts so... You're lucky to have siblings like that, mine are quite annoying when it comes to my obssessions but then again... life without them would be boring. Laughing About the bracelet... I don't know exactly but I remember something like dark purpleish and white... but I'm not sure. I'll check it and see. As for my t-shirt.. welll, one of these days I might make a picture of it and send it to you. Would you like that?
Ok, I'll stop here cause this becoming a really long post. Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I read everything in the course of 3 minutes. spoiler[From Kyo telling Tohru that he wanted to be by her side, to Shigure and Akito finally coming to an end of what was a long stressful time I think for the both of them. I'm very happy for all the members of the Zodiac, and I think that even though Akito couldn't bring herself to apologize to them for the pain and suffering that she caused them, I think that in the end they can figure out that she feels bad about it. I think revealing her true self was a bold move, and she definetly looks more beautiful as she is now. Shigure was definetly right when he told Ren, "You look just like I imagined Akito."]
It was all very exciting to read, and the comedic moments that came up brought back the sense of comedy to the series from the beginning. Like when spoiler[Hatsuharu said that he will always love Yuki right in front of Rin, or when Momiji took the picture of Kyo and Kagura hugging and then it turns out they were working together] Laughing I get a feeling though, spoiler[that Momiji still feels and will always feel for Tohru, and he's probably feeling kuyashii since he's lost to Kyo now.]
Anyway, I can't wait to hear from y'all so we can talk some more since we ALL know what's going on now Very Happy
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, I can't wait to hear from y'all so we can talk some more since we ALL know what's going on now Very Happy

Laughing Yes, now I know what you mean. So you did get as updated as ever. Very Happy

Well, to tell you the truth I didn't expect to feel so for Sigure and Akito's story. spoiler[But I was pretty happy to see them together finally on a road that needed to find a new way. The fact that Akito admitted that she was a woman proved to me that she really wants to be a new person, that she finally slowly yet so beautifully finds her own way and that's great. As for Shigure I am glad that he is seing his dream come true. For I believe that this was his secret all this long. To be part of Akito's life and to make her see the world and life in a very different perspective. I found their story really wondeful in this chapter. It really gave me the goose bumps. Very Happy ]
About Momiji... and Kagura for that matter... spoiler[I think that for them it might take a while to get over their feelings. Though Momiji tells Kyo that it's ok. I don't think it's THAT ok with them. Smile Both Kagura and Momiji are in love with persons that they lost and so they need a time to figure out what to do next. ]
Yes, all those scenes you mentioned are really funny... I would also add the scene when Kyo spoiler[looks around and sees the great house for the very first time and Ayame makes fun of him. Laughing These guys... ]They never let me to get bored.
But one question: spoiler[now that they are really free, how will Akito be able to hold on to their reagained freedom. Cause she makes that promise... I'm thinking that it will be very difficult cause there are people in that family who are really, but really wierd.] Confused
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'll have to go back and read the manga to find out the meaning of your question, aya_honda. For 133, I've really noticed that spoiler[the mood's really changed between Yuki and Kyo, probably because there's no more initiative to fight now. Even when Yuki laughed when Kyo said it'd be a problem for him if there was one more guy that liked Tohru, he just did a tsukkomi and didn't get mad mad like he would have in the earlier times.] By the way this was the highlight of comedy for the chapter in my opinion Laughing
I think Kazuma spoiler[in a way is a little lazy or he's old at heart, I don't know which one. He's only 29 and he's getting ready to die, what kind of mental process does he have?! He can't die now, he's got Hanachan!] Laughing
I don't think we have much longer, and I hope that we see closure on everyone and not just the people we've been seeing.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'll have to go back and read the manga to find out the meaning of your question, aya_honda. For 133, I've really noticed that spoiler[the mood's really changed between Yuki and Kyo, probably because there's no more initiative to fight now. Even when Yuki laughed when Kyo said it'd be a problem for him if there was one more guy that liked Tohru, he just did a tsukkomi and didn't get mad mad like he would have in the earlier times.] By the way this was the highlight of comedy for the chapter in my opinion Laughing
I think Kazuma spoiler[in a way is a little lazy or he's old at heart, I don't know which one. He's only 29 and he's getting ready to die, what kind of mental process does he have?! He can't die now, he's got Hanachan!] Laughing
I don't think we have much longer, and I hope that we see closure on everyone and not just the people we've been seeing.

Yes, the mood is really changed spoiler[between Yuki and Kyo and I think that for the very first time they see each other in real colors. I mean, up to this point there was a constant battle between them and they hated each other (or at least this is what they said). But then again we have that chapter in which we see how the things atually worked. To tell you the truth I was pretty surprised to find out that Yuki actually idolized Kyo. I mean, I can understand why Kyo wanted so much to be like Yuki, but I was surprised to see that actually Yuki wanted to be Kyo so much. These guys... I think that in the end they were born to be friends but they didn't know that.]
Laughing What you said about Kazuma was really funny. Laughing spoiler[Yes, he was already thinking at grand children but it would be so funny to see him with Hana-chan. I think they would be like the wisest couple in the managa, always offering advice and supporting the people that need support. ]
About the question... don't trouble yourself too much. I usually put some crazy questions. Embarassed
Closure... Yes, I would like that very much.... spoiler[Perhaps Takaya-san will also explain what trully happened with Kureno and Uo-chan. I am sa damn curious. Very Happy ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
I also noticed that Mayu spoiler[found out about "something that happened" at the Sohma house. Her existence was kind of not there until this chapter, we still don't know what's going to happen between her and Hatori. Is there still hope?]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I also noticed that Mayu spoiler[found out about "something that happened" at the Sohma house. Her existence was kind of not there until this chapter, we still don't know what's going to happen between her and Hatori. Is there still hope?]

Hopefully, there will spoiler[some hope to see them together. I really liked this couple and I would be very happy to see Hatori being finally with someone now that this can actually happen. For the first time he will have the possibility to take his life into his own hands and do something with it. No matter how painful might be for him... I think is finally time for him to move on. And the only person able to help him is Mayu. So hopefully we will see this very soon. Also I am pretty curious to see how he will deal now with the world. He doesn't seem to be a very sociable person... but then again, up to this point he has the "curse" excuse. Smile ]
I think that Takaya-san succeeded in giving options and open roads to each character.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I do notice that chapter 134 was supposed to have come out a couple days ago, did you have a chance to read it, aya_honda?
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I do notice that chapter 134 was supposed to have come out a couple days ago, did you have a chance to read it, aya_honda?

yes, it was realeased a few days ago. And actually I had a chance to get a peak on it. Embarassed I just couldn't help myelf. Laughing But it was in Japanese and my kanji is not that good so I understood only small fragments (I really need to improve my reading in kanji). why? would you like to take a peak at it to? :lol:Maybe you read in Kanji better than I do.
By the way, weren't you amused at they way spoiler[the girls were seeing Kyo? They wanted him. I mean, we are talking about the guy who jumped from the second floor just not to be around girls and all of a sudden he is the new idol in the school. I was particularly amused at what that girl said about the fact tha Kyo being with Tohru just ruined her life. Laughing ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I think he spoiler[was always an idol, because there were girls that asked to go out with him before their senior year. And all his guys look pretty jealous of him now, I don't think anybody could've imagined that he and Tohru would hook up. On top of that, what's going to happen when the last remnants of Prince Yuki find out he's going out with Machi?]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I think he spoiler[was always an idol, because there were girls that asked to go out with him before their senior year. And all his guys look pretty jealous of him now, I don't think anybody could've imagined that he and Tohru would hook up. On top of that, what's going to happen when the last remnants of Prince Yuki find out he's going out with Machi?]

Yes, that's true. He was an idol long before that. spoiler[I remember that chapter when they went to the trip in Kyoto (I think) and that girl confessed her love to Kyo but he rejected her so coldly... Damn Kyo! Smile He was at that moment like the idol of all these teenaged boys and girls. Him being with Tohru is indeed a surprise for the others. I mean, if we pay attention at the entire manga most of the times people really underestimated Tohru. Because she seems common perhaps (which, by the way, is highly untrue), she has always been seen as a less threat to the other girls. What can I say? Nevertheless they really are a nice couple (one of my favourites in the manga). Embarassed ]
As for Yuki.... Laughing spoiler[I am wondering what are the girls from his club going to do when they will find out that their Prince is finally with a girl. Laughing Major riots will take place. Especially because Yuki always gave the impression that he will be forever lonely (since Tohru wasn't perceived as a major threat in the end). I am very curious about this.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, still no word on 134 *cough, cough*

I have a new subject though. As we are in the closing chapters of this series, we are constantly waiting for the last of the volumes to come out. As you know the characters appearing on the covers are in this order up to volume 21:

1. Tohru
2. Yuki
3. Kyo
4. Shigure
5. Kagura
6. Momiji
7. Hatori
8. Hatsuharu
9. Ayame
10. Kisa
11. Hiro
12. Ritsu
13. Isuzu
14. Kureno
15. Akito
16. Uochan
17. Hanachan
18. Kazuma
19. Kaoru
20. Machi
21. Ren

Now we are coming to the closing chapters, volume 22 will be out sometime in the winter, but I don't think I saw anything that indicates who the next cover character is going to be. Since volume spoiler[23] (not sure whether this needs to be a spoiler or not, but I guess it's good to be safe about it) is more than likely the last volume, that means there needs to be spoiler[two ]more characters that will be put on the covers of these last volumes. I'm guessing that one of these covers HAS to have Kyoko on it. Because spoiler[even though she's been dead the entire series, we've known her through the flashbacks and seen her stories and struggles.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, interesting question. I never thought about this. I am curious too to see who would be on the cover of this volume. On the one hand it could be Kyoko cause she was the only important character never to appear on the covers. But it also may be Tohru, just to end a cycle, or all the zodiacs, why not? I think that everybody has this curiosity.
When thinking at the last volume I'm thinking about spoiler[ redemption , the fact that all the characters have now received a second chance to take their lives back on the right track. And the couples that best represent this idea would be either Tohru and Kyo (who had the greatest challenges) or Akito and Shigure (an important part of the story). I would like to see one of these couples on the cover, though the second one is not exaclty one of my favourites.] But this may not be possible if Takaya-san decides that she should respect the idea of one character on the cover.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so Kyo's plans spoiler[are to go somewhere else, and he wants to take Tohru with him. This would be in part because of the limited childhood that he had, and now that he's free, there are no limits. Hanachan and Uochan had a sense of it, their dearest friend that saved them from their troubles is all growing up you could say.] Which probably means also that he's spoiler[NOT going to college, unlike Yuki and Kakeru.]
Highlight of comedy this chapter: when Machi spoiler[punches Kakeru and the niku, and Komaki says, "NIKU!" and Yuki replies, "You're worried about that?"] Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 170