• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think spoiler[they've both felt an attraction to each other ever since Akito was born, and even at a young age Akito asked Shigure whether he liked her or not. I do not know if at such a young age she was able to comprehend the feelings that Shigure displayed towards her at that moment in time, because he explained to her that she was the only one in his heart. Though I think in the earlier part of her years she thought of him as a brotherly or fatherly figure. ]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
i thinkspoiler[she did somewhat understand the feelings he was projecting, because she was as red as a cherry when he left in that scene. that might have been the start of her own feelings for him, and she was very moved when Shigure remembered that he said that. the problem is that they can;t for give each other (for Kureno and Ren) that easily. Shigure doesn't want to baby Akito, and Akito thinks that Shigure is all too ready to abandon her. Akito's fear don't allow her too see what Shigure is trying to say. and Shigure even tries to get it through to her with Kureno. he said something along the lines of "why don't you leave her now?" or something like that (vol. 18). he wants Kureno to leave her, to let her grow stronger. Kureno is exactly what Shigure doesn't want to be to Akito. ] (why does my wrinting make no sense to me)

on a slightly different note, if you look at it, despite the huge difference in thier maturity, Shigure and Hatori are probably the smartest characters in the whole series. and another note, even further from the topic, who do you think is the eldest amongst the Mabudachi?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
i thinkspoiler[she did somewhat understand the feelings he was projecting, because she was as red as a cherry when he left in that scene. that might have been the start of her own feelings for him, and she was very moved when Shigure remembered that he said that. the problem is that they can;t for give each other (for Kureno and Ren) that easily. Shigure doesn't want to baby Akito, and Akito thinks that Shigure is all too ready to abandon her. Akito's fear don't allow her too see what Shigure is trying to say. and Shigure even tries to get it through to her with Kureno. he said something along the lines of "why don't you leave her now?" or something like that (vol. 18). he wants Kureno to leave her, to let her grow stronger. Kureno is exactly what Shigure doesn't want to be to Akito. ] (why does my wrinting make no sense to me)

That's true, spoiler[Kureno did seem to spoil Akito. And Shigure knew that and he was always jealous of Kureno for one, and two he wanted Akito away from him. It's like Akito couldn't live without one or the other, but in the case of the wrong choice, it was Kureno. ]

Quote:
on a slightly different note, if you look at it, despite the huge difference in thier maturity, Shigure and Hatori are probably the smartest characters in the whole series. and another note, even further from the topic, who do you think is the eldest amongst the Mabudachi?

I believe if you look into the fanbook it will actually tell when their birthdays are, and then we would know who is the oldest. Since they're all spoiler[28, and Kureno is 26.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
That's true. But nevertheless, I think that Kureno also knew that spoiler[it would have been better for Akito to leave her and yet everytime he thinks of this, he keeps remembering how she cried and how she begged not to be abandoned. I hate the fact that Kureno has been so weak but not for Akito's sake; for his own sake. Kureno had had a bitter life (one of his choice - that's true but nevertheless bitter and lonely) Besides the fact that he was always at Akito's side, he was also restricted from the other zodiacs. ]I don't think it was shown any much interaction between spoiler[kureno and the other zodiacs even before the breaking of the curse. ]

Though I was startled by the sheer passion that exists between Akito and Shigure, I don't like this pair very much. For Akito, in spite of having her own excuses for acting the way she did, I still can't really stomach spoiler[her way of behaving towards the other zodiacs. I mean, I understand her fear of being abandoned and not having supporting family as Akira died pretty quickly but nevertheless I still think this doesn't excuse her behaviour. I understand that Shigure is the only one that wants to finish with Akito's non-sense about being a god and therefore must be obeyed and it's about the only thing I trully admire him in spite of the fact that he would everything that might take him to his goal. ]

But now, come to think of it, Kureno is not the only one to blame for spoiler[Akito's condition. There were also other "mature" zodiacs who didn't do much and Hatori is one of them. I think that he is also the one who admits that he hasn't done anything and for that at least he admires and therefore supports Shigure. But he for instance didn't blame Akito for almost losing his eye in the incident with Kana and not just that. Just like Kureno, he seems more inclined to accept Akito's behaviour than the others. ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I think that the older Zodiacs aren't really to blame for Akito's mindset. Keep in mind, they were still children when she was born. We don't really see this, but I think a lot of the blame needs to go to the non-Zodiac Adults who were around at the time. When they discovered that "God" was born, they probably began saying things that led to Akito's current mindset.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
There have been spoiler[quite a few individuals in Akito's life that made her what she had become. Her parents, and those who served her, like the old lady. She had major influence on what Akito became, and she also believed strongly in the power of the Zodiac. Ren wasn't too much better, since she was another contributor to the mindset of Akito.]

I think Shigure spoiler[was seeing this all along with how Akito would treat the other Zodiacs, and was getting tired of it. Therefore he decided even with all the flack that Akito would give him, that it was time to bring all of this to an end. Thus he set on his quest, to bring even more angst and confusion to Akito's mind. Such as when Akito was arguing with him and he called her a traitor. That really confused her thought process.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I hated that old lady! Shocked Trully I did! Embarassed spoiler[To be so closed minded and to be unable to see the harm that you have caused, it's not only unsettling it's also scary. But somehow I think that I can understand her reasons in that she was raised and born in the old tradition and thus she could see only what suited her. She was also one of the people that didn't accepted Ren as a suitable woman. It was no wonder that she hasn't accepted the hand that Akito offered her in the end. But perhaps there was no other way that she knew. ]

Shigure decided to spoiler[change everything and get Akito think of the harm that she is causing. But I wonder: do the ends actually excuse the means? I know that perhaps there was no other way to break the curse and make Akito think about the whole but still: sometimes he is really cruel and he wants to manipulate everybody. I remember the episode at the seaside when Akito came and old Tohru finally who she was for the zodiac. Him and Hatori were staying aside and they were just watching. I wonder many times if he really has an excuse. He also manipulates Rin in making her seek the breaking of the curse harder and harder thinking perhaps that's better to have two ways. ] Shocked
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I hated that old lady! Shocked Trully I did! Embarassed spoiler[To be so closed minded and to be unable to see the harm that you have caused, it's not only unsettling it's also scary. But somehow I think that I can understand her reasons in that she was raised and born in the old tradition and thus she could see only what suited her. She was also one of the people that didn't accepted Ren as a suitable woman. It was no wonder that she hasn't accepted the hand that Akito offered her in the end. But perhaps there was no other way that she knew. ]

There was something that was obvious about her. She was afraid of change, and in this case the change was for the necessary. But sometimes when you are not willing to change for something that has influenced your life for the longest time, that's when it becomes messed up. And it is rather unfortunate under the circumstances.

Quote:
Shigure decided to spoiler[change everything and get Akito think of the harm that she is causing. But I wonder: do the ends actually excuse the means? I know that perhaps there was no other way to break the curse and make Akito think about the whole but still: sometimes he is really cruel and he wants to manipulate everybody. I remember the episode at the seaside when Akito came and old Tohru finally who she was for the zodiac. Him and Hatori were staying aside and they were just watching. I wonder many times if he really has an excuse. He also manipulates Rin in making her seek the breaking of the curse harder and harder thinking perhaps that's better to have two ways. ] Shocked

And like mentioned, even then spoiler[he gets away with it]. Not once in the series did I ever see spoiler[the finger pointed at Shigure from any of the other Zodiacs, or Tohru and her friends. Save for once when at the very beginning, Yuki suspected something. ]And he doesn't have a guilty conscience about it either.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
You both did not mention that Shigurespoiler[loves Akito. yes he was probably tired of the constant "god"-spewing, but all he does is so that he can love her. She is the ONLY one he actually cares about, and therfore he does not care what happens to everyone else, except Hatori and Ayame. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
spoiler[I do not know if at such a young age she was able to comprehend the feelings that Shigure displayed towards her at that moment in time, because he explained to her that she was the only one in his heart. Though I think in the earlier part of her years she thought of him as a brotherly or fatherly figure. ]

As a matter of fact I did mention it, just worded differently.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
spoiler[I do not know if at such a young age she was able to comprehend the feelings that Shigure displayed towards her at that moment in time, because he explained to her that she was the only one in his heart. Though I think in the earlier part of her years she thought of him as a brotherly or fatherly figure. ]

As a matter of fact I did mention it, just worded differently.

Well, actually didn't we all mentioned that spoiler[Shigure loves Akito and that he would do anything for her just to be loved back and freed from the curse nonsense? ] Still, I'm sorry but I don't think that's a valid excuse for me really. Just because he spoiler[loves Akito very much and wants to free her doesn't mean that his means are actually forgivable. So what if in his way to obtain what he desires he may free all of them? Some of them might have missed that freedom like Rin for instance. She has been manipulated so much that by the end she might have died if it wasn't for Kureno. I'm not saying that Shigure is guilty but still he had his own mendlings here. Shocked ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
Manulipative probably describes Shigure the best. He spoiler[told Rin that he didn't know everything yet he knew something. He played Tohru like the worst pimp ever could, because she would fall into his traps one after another. In other words, the whole charade was Shigure's doing, all for his motives in the end.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
They're spoiler[the couple who most deserve each other, I think. Both want things their way, and are unwilling to compromise. Like you all have said, Shigure will manipulate things to his advantage and will seek revenge for the wrongs done to him (like sleeping with Ren because Akito slept with Kurano). For her part, Akito just acts like a spoiled child and throws a tantrum to get her way. Sometimes they're violent tantrums and lots of people get hurt. But, because she's god and head of the family, the maids allow her to have her way, and the zodiac suffers for it. Like Hatori said in Vol. 19, it seems to be a contest to see who can be the most stubborn. ]

aya_honda wrote:
Well, actually didn't we all mentioned that spoiler[Shigure loves Akito and that he would do anything for her just to be loved back and freed from the curse nonsense?] Still, I'm sorry but I don't think that's a valid excuse for me really. Just because he spoiler[loves Akito very much and wants to free her doesn't mean that his means are actually forgivable. So what if in his way to obtain what he desires he may free all of them? Some of them might have missed that freedom like Rin for instance. She has been manipulated so much that by the end she might have died if it wasn't for Kureno. I'm not saying that Shigure is guilty but still he had his own mendlings here.]

I agree. spoiler[Shigure does want the best for Akito, like in Vol. 19 when Shigure wishes she would join the group instead of isolating herself. But I don't care for his means either. I thought it was callous of him, but telling of his personality, when Shigure joked that Akito gave Kisa "the old black and blue treatment" when that beating was severe enough to hospitalize the girl. He made a joke of it. He didn't sympathize with Kisa, or say it was something Akito shouldn't have done. However, since that wasn't Akito's first time to get violent, maybe such things didn't need to be said in that scene.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
One tells me that Shigure spoiler[doesn't feel sympathy for Kyo, but it also makes me question whether he sympathizes with the other Zodiac members at all. The only guys who really gets his attention would obviously be the other two members of the Mabudachi trio, but other than that there's no telling whether he really cares about the other members. He doesn't care that Hatsuharu calls him "sensei" even though he intended that as a joke.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I agree. spoiler[Shigure does want the best for Akito, like in Vol. 19 when Shigure wishes she would join the group instead of isolating herself. But I don't care for his means either. I thought it was callous of him, but telling of his personality, when Shigure joked that Akito gave Kisa "the old black and blue treatment" when that beating was severe enough to hospitalize the girl. He made a joke of it. He didn't sympathize with Kisa, or say it was something Akito shouldn't have done. However, since that wasn't Akito's first time to get violent, maybe such things didn't need to be said in that scene.]

I forgot about that espisode. Shocked But then again he spoiler[ sympathizes very little with the people that got hurt by Akito, but nonetheless isn't him part of them? I mean, wasn't he hurt by Akito just like the rest of them? Akito hurt him not just by sleeping with Kureno but also by actually allowing someone beneath him to be with her. Wasn't Kureno younger than him? And even more wasn't Kureno always in Shigure's shadow. ] I remember that I saw a picture in one of the websites dedicated to Fruits Basket and it showed spoiler[ Shigure reading and Kureno sitting besideshim and it was written next to Shigure "the one who is adored" and next to Kureno "the one who adores" strictly referring to their relationship. ] However now come to think of it, I don't know if it appears in the manga.

He always seems so pompous on the grounds that he knows what he's doing though he isn't quite sure about the result. And you're right, fighterholic, spoiler[ he doesn't seem to care about any of the zodiac members; do you remember that at some point he meets with his parents while being with his editor? And he says something like "they have to exist, don't they?" I hate the fact that we don't have background on his story. Besides his close relationship with the Mabudachi members, especially with Hatori, and his love for Akito we don't have many details. ]

By the way, what about the episode [warning:spoiler from volume 21]when spoiler[Tohru falls off the cliff and Akito goes for help and meets with Shigure? He was ready to think the worst of her. He asked her "did you push her?" without even caring if Tohru is badly hurt or not? And wasn't Tohru his most important tool? At least for that he should have cared! ] Shocked

Last edited by aya_honda on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 125 of 170